stop profile from sync'ing

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 22, 2005 4:13:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

I have 2 servers co-located through a VPN over the Internet that are also
domain member servers. I want to be able to log into these machines with my
domain user account, but my profile is a few hundred megabytes. It is
roaming, so this login forces the synchronization which I have to cancel
because it can take hours to sync. I continue to use the local
administrator user to avoid this.

I don't want to avoid it anymore and would like to find a way to login with
my domain user account but not have it look for any sync the server copy of
my roaming profile...but only on those two machines.

Any advice?

_____
DC G

More about : stop profile sync ing

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:41:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Use folder redirection with your roaming profiles.
If you redirect My Documents and Application Data to a static network
location, your roaming profiles can simply point to those other locations
rather than copy the information to the local machine each time.

Chris.

"DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
>I have 2 servers co-located through a VPN over the Internet that are also
>domain member servers. I want to be able to log into these machines with
>my domain user account, but my profile is a few hundred megabytes. It is
>roaming, so this login forces the synchronization which I have to cancel
>because it can take hours to sync. I continue to use the local
>administrator user to avoid this.
>
> I don't want to avoid it anymore and would like to find a way to login
> with my domain user account but not have it look for any sync the server
> copy of my roaming profile...but only on those two machines.
>
> Any advice?
>
> _____
> DC G

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:21:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

"DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
>I have 2 servers co-located through a VPN over the Internet that are also
>domain member servers. I want to be able to log into these machines with
>my domain user account, but my profile is a few hundred megabytes. It is
>roaming, so this login forces the synchronization which I have to cancel
>because it can take hours to sync. I continue to use the local
>administrator user to avoid this.
>
> I don't want to avoid it anymore and would like to find a way to login
> with my domain user account but not have it look for any sync the server
> copy of my roaming profile...but only on those two machines.

Once you've logged in once, you can go to the profile properties in Control
Panel | system on each, and set the option as Local, not Roaming.

> Any advice?
>
> _____
> DC G

OT, but I suggest you shrink your profile a LOT in general. I don't like
profiles larger than, say, 20 or 30 MB even on a fast Ethernet LAN
connection. Don't store items on the desktop, and use folder redirection to
point My Documents (and whatever you wish) at your home directory.
!