stop profile from sync'ing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

I have 2 servers co-located through a VPN over the Internet that are also
domain member servers. I want to be able to log into these machines with my
domain user account, but my profile is a few hundred megabytes. It is
roaming, so this login forces the synchronization which I have to cancel
because it can take hours to sync. I continue to use the local
administrator user to avoid this.

I don't want to avoid it anymore and would like to find a way to login with
my domain user account but not have it look for any sync the server copy of
my roaming profile...but only on those two machines.

Any advice?

_____
DC G
2 answers Last reply
More about stop profile sync
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

    Use folder redirection with your roaming profiles.
    If you redirect My Documents and Application Data to a static network
    location, your roaming profiles can simply point to those other locations
    rather than copy the information to the local machine each time.

    Chris.

    "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
    >I have 2 servers co-located through a VPN over the Internet that are also
    >domain member servers. I want to be able to log into these machines with
    >my domain user account, but my profile is a few hundred megabytes. It is
    >roaming, so this login forces the synchronization which I have to cancel
    >because it can take hours to sync. I continue to use the local
    >administrator user to avoid this.
    >
    > I don't want to avoid it anymore and would like to find a way to login
    > with my domain user account but not have it look for any sync the server
    > copy of my roaming profile...but only on those two machines.
    >
    > Any advice?
    >
    > _____
    > DC G

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

    "DC Gringo" <dcgringo@visiontechnology.net> wrote in message
    >I have 2 servers co-located through a VPN over the Internet that are also
    >domain member servers. I want to be able to log into these machines with
    >my domain user account, but my profile is a few hundred megabytes. It is
    >roaming, so this login forces the synchronization which I have to cancel
    >because it can take hours to sync. I continue to use the local
    >administrator user to avoid this.
    >
    > I don't want to avoid it anymore and would like to find a way to login
    > with my domain user account but not have it look for any sync the server
    > copy of my roaming profile...but only on those two machines.

    Once you've logged in once, you can go to the profile properties in Control
    Panel | system on each, and set the option as Local, not Roaming.

    > Any advice?
    >
    > _____
    > DC G

    OT, but I suggest you shrink your profile a LOT in general. I don't like
    profiles larger than, say, 20 or 30 MB even on a fast Ethernet LAN
    connection. Don't store items on the desktop, and use folder redirection to
    point My Documents (and whatever you wish) at your home directory.

Domain Networking Microsoft Servers Windows