Explorer.exe crashes, computer in endless loop

Hi everybody,

I've been given a computer which has a problem (Windows 2000, don't know
which servicepack).

As soon as you switch on the computer, it boots, takes you to the login
screen and crashes after you've logged in.

The error I get is "explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed
etc...', after which Windows 2000 kills explorer.exe, and thus starts again
as if you've logged in again.

This problem occurs even in safe mode - I've let it kill explorer.exe and
create a new one dozens of times, it just keeps on looping.

There are several posts and messages I've found with Google that describe
the same problem, but most of them suggest to uninstall X or delete Y -
which of course is not possible, because I never arrive at a point where I
gain control of the machine!

AFAIK, the machine is virus free, adware free - the owner did not install
any new software/hardware recently. I'm at a loss here as to what the
problem might be.

Does anybody know what could cause this? And more important, how I can fix
the computer?

There's no emergency repair disk for this machine, by the way. I ran
Knoppix and verified the explorer.exe files to be the same as on my
machines.

Thanks in advance!
3 answers Last reply
More about explorer crashes computer endless loop

    "" wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I've been given a computer which has a problem (Windows 2000,
    > don't know
    > which servicepack).
    >
    > As soon as you switch on the computer, it boots, takes you to
    > the login
    > screen and crashes after you've logged in.
    >
    > The error I get is "explorer.exe has generated errors and will
    > be closed
    > etc...', after which Windows 2000 kills explorer.exe, and thus
    > starts again
    > as if you've logged in again.
    >
    > This problem occurs even in safe mode - I've let it kill
    > explorer.exe and
    > create a new one dozens of times, it just keeps on looping.
    >
    > There are several posts and messages I've found with Google
    > that describe
    > the same problem, but most of them suggest to uninstall X or
    > delete Y -
    > which of course is not possible, because I never arrive at a
    > point where I
    > gain control of the machine!
    >
    > AFAIK, the machine is virus free, adware free - the owner did
    > not install
    > any new software/hardware recently. I'm at a loss here as to
    > what the
    > problem might be.
    >
    > Does anybody know what could cause this? And more important,
    > how I can fix
    > the computer?
    >
    > There's no emergency repair disk for this machine, by the way.
    > I ran
    > Knoppix and verified the explorer.exe files to be the same as
    > on my
    > machines.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    You coud try running cmd (you should be able to launch that via
    taskmanager) then use sfc /scannow i have service pack 4 installed on
    my w2k box, so i dont know if that will work in no sp, s2 or 3, but
    good luck

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Explorer.exe-crashes-computer-endless-loop-ftopict399269.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318576

    As you said the computer was given to you,
    maybe it's better to partition and format the disk,
    run a disk manufactorer check tool
    (just to make sure the disk is OK)
    and start from a clean install.

    John7

    Sparda <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in news:3_1318576_
    1d722eac13961100db4c570c36997bc3@windowsforumz.com:

    > "" wrote:
    > > Hi everybody,
    <snip>

    > You coud try running cmd (you should be able to launch that via
    > taskmanager) then use sfc /scannow i have service pack 4 installed on
    > my w2k box, so i dont know if that will work in no sp, s2 or 3, but
    > good luck

    Well, I ended up reinstalling Windows 2000 over the original install, and
    now everything works fine.

    Thanks to you and John for your advice.

    Ikke

Computers Explorer Windows 2000 Windows