About recording HD signal on SVHS with the Comcast box.

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 8, 2004 9:38:37 AM

Thanks for all the answers today, One (hopefully) last one.

I have (or will shortly) have Comcast HDTV box (the Motorola DCT-51something
or other), which has component out and s-Video out. I hook up my SVHS
recorder to the S-Video output, which (as I understand) gets a 480i signal. I
play it back on my HDTV, and I'll get whatever I get when I watch a 480i
source... got that.

Ahhh.... but let's say that I play that same tape back on a SDTV in the other
room of the house. do I get SDTV??? Do I get black bands all the way around
or do I get it as if I'd recorded it off the air (normal and 4:3 HD
programming in full 4:3 480i format, and 16:9 programming in letterbox)?

Anyone know the answer to that one??

Thanks much,
D.
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 1:59:13 PM

david.nospam@cloudance.NoSpAm.com (David M. Young) wrote in message news:<xz5dc.1724$HU5.1253@fe03.usenetserver.com>...
> Thanks for all the answers today, One (hopefully) last one.
>
> I have (or will shortly) have Comcast HDTV box (the Motorola DCT-51something
> or other), which has component out and s-Video out. I hook up my SVHS
> recorder to the S-Video output, which (as I understand) gets a 480i signal. I
> play it back on my HDTV, and I'll get whatever I get when I watch a 480i
> source... got that.
>
> Ahhh.... but let's say that I play that same tape back on a SDTV in the other
> room of the house. do I get SDTV??? Do I get black bands all the way around
> or do I get it as if I'd recorded it off the air (normal and 4:3 HD
> programming in full 4:3 480i format, and 16:9 programming in letterbox)?
>
> Anyone know the answer to that one??
>
> Thanks much,
> D.

An HDTV signal output as 480i will be Full Screen, 4:3 aspect ratio,
but the image will be distorted. The image will appear "stretched"
vertically, and compressed horizontially. i.e. tall skinny people
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 11:11:14 PM

justjalone@aol.com (just j) wrote:

>An HDTV signal output as 480i will be Full Screen, 4:3 aspect ratio,
>but the image will be distorted. The image will appear "stretched"
>vertically, and compressed horizontially. i.e. tall skinny people

Are you speaking from experience here? Because my experience has been
quite different. Granted I'm not familiar with the Comcast/Motorola
box in question, but here's my experience:

My Comcast box is a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD. It does not
output/downconvert the HD channels through the S-video out. If I try
to record HD programs I get a blank black screen. Comcast support
confirms that the box does not downconvert.

Prior to getting Comcast HD I had a Samsung T150 OTA receiver. This
unit downconverts HD to 480i on the S-video out. I recorded this on my
JVC SVHS deck which made an anamorphic widescreen SD recording. When
played back on my widescreen HDTV, it was in the same widescreen
aspect ratio of the original HD program, except not HD. The quality
was as good as any other SD program input. There was no squeezing or
stretching as you indicated. It was identical to the original, except
as I said, not HD quality.

I sold my Samsung when I got the Comcast box, and before I realized I
would not be able to do the same with the SA3100HD.

So, if your box outputs/downconverts the HD signal you can make
widescreen recordings. If not, like me, you're SOL. If anybody knows a
workaround for this, I'd be glad to hear it.

Jim
remove* *for email
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 12:59:01 PM

*jimanno@comcast.net* wrote in message news:<cilb709ebo400ud98cidcounenq3g07ih0@4ax.com>...
> justjalone@aol.com (just j) wrote:
>

> >An HDTV signal output as 480i will be Full Screen, 4:3 aspect ratio,
> >but the image will be distorted. The image will appear "stretched"
> >vertically, and compressed horizontially. i.e. tall skinny people
>

>...... When played back on my widescreen HDTV, it was in the same
widescreen
> aspect ratio of the original HD program, except not HD. The quality
> was as good as any other SD program input. There was no squeezing or
> stretching as you indicated. It was identical to the original, except
> as I said, not HD quality....
>
> Jim
> remove* *for email

clarification...

My downconverted outputs from T160 feed other sets that are 4:3..
hence the distortion... I dont use non-HD feeds for my 16:9
display...
!