Seagate SATA 320gb 7200.10 wont boot

rikgao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Good day everyone,

So i bought a new computer setup and i'm installing the OS. WinXP SP1 only recognizes 130gb so i go to my other computer to partition it into two parts (1 for XP and the other for vista later) when i bring the Harddrive back to my new computer, i let it reformat in the petitioned part with Windows XP.

After formating, i change the primary bootup in my bios to my Harddrive instead of my CD drive to let it boot from my HDD, but it wont allow me to.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

If it helps, this is my current setup:

Intel E6400
Asus P5W DH
1GB kingston 667 ram
Seagate barracuda SATA 320gb 7200.10
ATI X1600
Enermax liberty 500w
enermax chakra case.

thanks.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Take a shot at a Recovery Console repair.

Pop in the cd - press any key to boot from it, if prompted (you have 3 seconds). At the first repair screen, press r.

You will eventually get to a prompt. It may ask you for a password - I usually just hit Enter. Type in the following two - hitting Enter after each one:

fixmbr
fixboot

Remove the cd and restart.

If that doesn't work, start over. It's not a problem, initially, for XP to only use 127-130g on your hd. After all the updates (SP2 included), the remaining space will show up in Disk Management as unformatted. You can reclaim it then. See if you can get your hands on a W98 (or ME) boot diskette. Pop it in and run fdisk and delete all the partitions. Re-install your XP.

Before all of that, go back into the BIOS and put the cd drive back to first. If it's empty, bootup will go to the next on the list. You need cd first for troubleshooting and repair reasons. Set it up cd, floppy, hd

pat

Expert
Good day everyone,

So i bought a new computer setup and i'm installing the OS. WinXP SP1 only recognizes 130gb so i go to my other computer to partition it into two parts (1 for XP and the other for vista later) when i bring the Harddrive back to my new computer, i let it reformat in the petitioned part with Windows XP.

After formating, i change the primary bootup in my bios to my Harddrive instead of my CD drive to let it boot from my HDD, but it wont allow me to.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

If it helps, this is my current setup:

Intel E6400
Asus P5W DH
1GB kingston 667 ram
Seagate barracuda SATA 320gb 7200.10
ATI X1600
Enermax liberty 500w
enermax chakra case.

thanks.

Download SP2 for XP, slipstream it with your current XP CD (method easily found with Google), then you'll be able to see the full size of your hdd and partition it the way you want it.