Graphics upgrade worth it?

EricT

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Hi folks. My current system is running an eVGA 7600GT PCI-E card. I've been reading some articles here, and got interested in the X1950 Pro. According to the charts it looks like it would be a significant performance upgrade.

However, these days I am really only playing World of Warcraft. At max settings on my LG 20.1" widescreen LCD monitor, I am running between 55 and 60 FPS. It tops out at 60, I assume that is because of the refresh rate of my monitor.

This leaves me wondering if I should hold off on upgrading video cards until I start playing something else. If I get the X1950 Pro, wouldn't I just top out at 60 FPS? Or would there be some other noticable improvement?

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
World of Warcraft is incredibly easy on the videocard. Upgrading to an X1950 PRO for that game would be a waste.
Yea, not to mention his 7600GT is not struggling one bit.

Save the money, the upgrade is not worth it.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
World of Warcraft is incredibly easy on the videocard. Upgrading to an X1950 PRO for that game would be a waste.

Bingo. And even if you got a new card that bumped your FPS to 120, it wouldn't be any better than 60. If you are hitting 60 and WoW is the only game you play, you're in the clear man. :)

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004

Bingo. And even if you got a new card that bumped your FPS to 120, it wouldn't be any better than 60. If you are hitting 60 and WoW is the only game you play, you're in the clear man. :)

Yep, especialy being a 'top-downer'. WoW tops at 60fps anyhow, if I remember correctly.

sailer

Splendid

Ah, but where what would the graphics card industry do if we stopped wasting money on cards that we don't need?

+1 listen to these people... To bad I didnt ask when I upgraded
/slap

Got board of oblivion, hitman bm, CoD, CD2....
Now with my 8800, i get 2k fps on SOF2 (basically quake 3)... waste of money... sigh.