MOBO for 4 gigs + of ram?

brekehan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I read about several boards having problems when more than 2 gigs are installed. Is this common? are there any boards out there that people have used without a problem running 4 gigs of ram or more?

I want to build a rig for both gaming and 3d rendering. The rendering takes forever while things page, thus why I want 4 to 8 gigs in it.

Thanks!

brekehan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
surely someone has run a machine with 4+ gigs somewhere in the world. Hell I'll even splerge on server grade hardware if it will run games better.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
the biggest problem trying to run 4gbs of ram is that most people would want 2x2gb sticks instead of 4x1gb sticks and 2gb ram sticks are limited atm.

also, windows xp only recognises 3.25gb-3.75gb ram so you dont get all of it anyway. vista will fix this.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I read about several boards having problems when more than 2 gigs are installed. Is this common? are there any boards out there that people have used without a problem running 4 gigs of ram or more?...

The problem you've described isn't typically related to memory module limitations of recent motherboards. Windows XP doesn't support more than ~ 3.2Gb. Windows XP 64 will provide for your memory desires, or if you prefer, download Vista beta, or wait for Vista's release.

Hope this helps. 8)

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
The problem you've described isn'tt typically related to motherboard limitations. Windows XP 32 doesn't support more than ~ 3.2Gb. Windows XP 64 will provide for memory desires, or if you prefer, download Vista beta, or wait for Vista's release.

Even Vista 32-bit won't be able to use full 4GB ram, you need [any] 64-bit system to use 4GB+. IMO more than 2GB is wasteful right now.

Jo

leroy_101

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Was wondering, would you see any perfomance dif between 2gb and 4gb?
Im planning on getting Corsair TwinX 2x 1GB,DDR2-800,DOMINATOR memory. This should settle my ram craze for a while right?

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Was wondering, would you see any perfomance dif between 2gb and 4gb?
Im planning on getting Corsair TwinX 2x 1GB,DDR2-800,DOMINATOR memory. This should settle my ram craze for a while right?

Over 2GB will not help right now, so get the set you want and when [if] you need 4GB get another set much cheaper than now. By the time you need 8GB you will have a new mobo and will be getting DDR3 / DDR4...

Jo

brekehan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
The problem you've described isn'tt typically related to motherboard limitations. Windows XP 32 doesn't support more than ~ 3.2Gb. Windows XP 64 will provide for memory desires, or if you prefer, download Vista beta, or wait for Vista's release.

Even Vista 32-bit won't be able to use full 4GB ram, you need [any] 64-bit system to use 4GB+. IMO more than 2GB is wasteful right now.

Jo

I plan on a 64 bit OS by the end of the month: vista if it runs ok, and xp 64 bit if not. I am worried about hardware limitations, not OS limitations. I don't see how it would be wasteful when things are already spilling over into several gigs of page file. 3D rendering is very demanding.

Even now, I am sure someone out there is running xp 64-bit and making use of more than 2 gigs somewhere.