Defulat FTP site

Control Panel ->Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> IIS ->
Default FTP Site Properties
Security Accounts tab

I uncheck the 'Allow Anonymous Connections', but I cannot select the
Admininstrators group.
Why ?

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Man Utd wrote:
> Control Panel ->Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> IIS ->
> Default FTP Site Properties
> Security Accounts tab
>
> I uncheck the 'Allow Anonymous Connections', but I cannot select the
> Admininstrators group.
> Why ?

Select the account before switching off "Allow Anonymous
Connections". Though why you would want to do that I don't
know, since the account that you put in is the one that is
used for anonymous connections!

Cheers,

Cliff

I just started learning Dreamweaver by reading a book chapter talking about
the internet.
It said we can unchecked the anonymous connections and add users to the
Administrators group.

What do you mean by select the account ?

"Enkidu" <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in message
> Man Utd wrote:
> > Control Panel ->Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> IIS ->
> > Default FTP Site Properties
> > Security Accounts tab
> >
> > I uncheck the 'Allow Anonymous Connections', but I cannot select the
> > Admininstrators group.
> > Why ?
> >
> Select the account before switching off "Allow Anonymous
> Connections". Though why you would want to do that I don't
> know, since the account that you put in is the one that is
> used for anonymous connections!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

When a user connects to a FTP site anonymously, the security
account on this pane is used to access the files. The user
does not have to supply a user and password and the security
account on that pane has to have access to the files on the
machine.

If you switch off anonymous connections you have to use an
account to access the files. Say you want all members of the
Administrators Group to be able to access the files. Then
*in the directory that contains the files* you set the
permissions so that administrators group has read (and
write, if you wish) access to the files.

When *anyone* tries to access the files using FTP they will
be prompted for a valid user and password and that account
*must* have the correct access to the files.

So, anonymous access, no prompt for user/password, uses the
given account for access. Not anonymous access, prompt for
user/password, uses given user/password account for access.

It seems to me that the DreamWeaver book is mixed up. I
personally wouldn't give access to FTP files to the
Administrators group. I'd pick some other group.

Cheers,

Cliff

Man Utd wrote:

> I just started learning Dreamweaver by reading a book
> chapter talking about the internet. It said we can
> unchecked the anonymous connections and add users to the
> Administrators group.
>
> What do you mean by select the account ?
>
> "Enkidu" <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in message
>
>>Man Utd wrote:
>>
>>>Control Panel ->Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> IIS ->
>>>Default FTP Site Properties
>>>Security Accounts tab
>>>
>>>I uncheck the 'Allow Anonymous Connections', but I cannot select the
>>>Admininstrators group.
>>>Why ?
>>>

>>Select the account before switching off "Allow Anonymous
>>Connections". Though why you would want to do that I don't
>>know, since the account that you put in is the one that is
>>used for anonymous connections!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Cliff
>>
>>--
>>
>>Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

My question is concerning about how do I add users into the admin group on
the tab but not the rational why choose anonymous.

> When a user connects to a FTP site anonymously, the security
> account on this pane is used to access the files. The user
> does not have to supply a user and password and the security
> account on that pane has to have access to the files on the
> machine.
>
> If you switch off anonymous connections you have to use an
> account to access the files. Say you want all members of the
> Administrators Group to be able to access the files. Then
> *in the directory that contains the files* you set the
> permissions so that administrators group has read (and
> write, if you wish) access to the files.
>
> When *anyone* tries to access the files using FTP they will
> be prompted for a valid user and password and that account
> *must* have the correct access to the files.
>
> So, anonymous access, no prompt for user/password, uses the
> given account for access. Not anonymous access, prompt for
> user/password, uses given user/password account for access.
>
> It seems to me that the DreamWeaver book is mixed up. I
> personally wouldn't give access to FTP files to the
> Administrators group. I'd pick some other group.

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

You can't do it from that Tab. Period. That is NOT what that
Tab is for, in spite of your DW book. My reply was not a
rationale for anything. It was an explanation.

Browse to the files/folder in question using Windows
Explorer, select their properties and, if you wish, add the
Administrators group with the correct permissions. Then go
to Manage, Local Computers and Users, and select the
Administrators group. Add whatever users you want to the group.

Cheers,

Cliff