Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Woes

michcarson

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Ok. I've been having some weird issues with this mobo but maybe you guys can help me out.
When I first tried to boot this computer I wouldn't get any video, and the computer would make consecutive 1-second beeps. It sounded like the IDE devices were spinning and all the fans were running. I reseated some parts and the display showed and it booted. It wouldn’t recognize my IDE devices though. Everything in the BIOS looks looked OK but the IDE. I used an IDE cable that came with the motherboard to connect the dvd burner and HD to the 1 IDE slot on the board. I messed around with the jumpers and the boot order. Sometimes I would get a DISK BOOT FAILURE and other times I would just get a blinking “_” after the boot-up process. This didn’t make any sense. It wouldn’t load up my Windows XP disc. After a few hours of tinkering I took the IDE cable and switched it to another computer to see if it was bad or something. I was grasping at anything. My other computer wouldn’t boot with this IDE cable, which I found odd. So I stuck this cable in the current computer and it loaded up Windows XP. After installing and getting to desktop I decided that I wanted to try out a game. I loaded up EQ2 and at loading screens it seemed very slow and it would freeze. Then I rebooted and I got a DISK FAILURE message. Tried again it windows loaded up but my NIC stopped working. I reseated things and now I’m back to square one with the beeping.
Am I right to believe that this mobo is messed up? It’s driving me nuts.
This is a short version of what happened because I troubleshooted so many things. Anyways here are the parts of my computer.

Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply
A-DATA 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
150GB IDE HD
Nvidia 7900GT 256MB
LG DVD Burner

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Continuous 1 second beeps would indicate a ram error according to the manual. What voltage does the ram that you have require, you may have to increase the voltage in the bios, by default that motherboard only supplys 1.8V.

As for the drive fault, it could be possible that the drives are not compatible with each other and are having trouble working off the same cable. I would see if you could grab a sata drive and try it with just the dvd plugged into the ribbon, just a thought.