Restore one file out of the System State backup

Jordan

I had a problem the other day where a meta file that IIS needs got corrupted
and needed to be restored. The problem was when I went to the folder where
it should be on the backup tape it was not there since it is part of the
System State.

I could have just restored the whole system state, but the problem I have
ran into on a few occasions is that when I restore the system state from too
far back, even a few days, the Domain treats the computer as though it was a
different computer and forces me to remove it from the Domain and then
rejoin. This is not that big a deal for workstations because it only adds a
few minute to the fix however for a server this is a big problem.

How do you restore a single file from the System State backup.

restore it to an alternate server and then copy the files you need.
Or I think that there is an option called restore to an alternate location
but I don't know if it will restore all the files you'll need.

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net