oakley

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
hi

just got a new computer from komplette, turned it on and every started ok

went into my computer to find the hard drives, there should be a wd raptor 150gb, ad a wd cavier 320gb and only one is showing up as present at a volume of 138gb,

checked in the case and there are physically two hard drives, computer also came with open packaging for both drives

the devices manager also shows both drives as present

ANY ideas how to make the second drives function and appear in my computer ?

thanks
Oakley

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Right click My computer and select manage, under the storage snapin you'll see a snap-in that says Disk Management. Drive information is located there, what does it look like?

oakley

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
its appeared , with a name and the disk management says it currently formatting, also says the drive is dynamic and the layout is simple ?

is this ok ?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Did you initiate a format? I don't know how your PC came configured, but some manufacturers are using hidden partitions to initiate a 'factory restore'. But since it sounds like your OS is on the 150GB Raptor, I don't think that is the case. Be sure that you have all service pack updates installed, then go back into Dsk MGT and reformat and initialize the drive.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
So when the format finishes you should see and entire drive, if not you may see unused raw partition space. I would put the disk to basic and reformat once your done.

oakley

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
its taking a while to format, when its finished will change the setting to basic and reformat, that should close out the issue ?

different question , is the raptor a loud drive when it running ok ?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Personally, I don't know how loud raptors are, I run one in my system, But I also run 5 u320 SCSI drives. My system tones out my TV when I encode. lol

While it may not clear up the issue it may zero out some other possibilities so you can go in another direction of support.

oakley

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
it seam to have fixed what my inital problem was, Thank you :)

how do i alter the setting from dynamic to basic, i have the disc management open,
but cant find the setting

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
you can't easily. I was finishing the thread so I could shout at you to undo the dynamic setting. unless you are in a server environment all it will do is make life miserable. Just go back into DM and kill the dynamic partition and reformat. you'll be glad you did.

oakley

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
dont seam to be able to find the setting to alter a non-partition disk in simple layout with dynamic type , to simple non-partationed type with basic layout

is there a specific comand ?

whats so wrong with dynamic type ?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
dont seam to be able to find the setting to alter a non-partition disk in simple layout with dynamic type , to simple non-partationed type with basic layout

is there a specific comand ?

whats so wrong with dynamic type ?

I had this MS TECH LINK bookmarked from back in the day, simple(easier than me typing it out)

FYI, if you ever had a disk that was dynamic with data on it that you wanted to move to a new system (XP has a hard time with this). There is this walk through that helped me a few times