Where is Windows Explorer?

In Win98 I used Windows Explorer all the time, and even added it to my Quick
Launch toolbar.

In WinXP it isn't on the first level of the Programs menu, but is moved to
the Accessories sub-menu

Should I take that to mean that I should be using something else to view my
folders and files, and is 'My Computer' supposed to replace Windows
Explorer?
12 answers Last reply
More about where windows explorer

    1. Right-click on your Desktop and select: NEW > SHORTCUT
    2. In the Create Shortcut window, type in: EXPLORER.EXE , and click "Next"
    3. In the next window, type in: Windows Explorer , and click "Finish"
    4. A new Windows Explorer shortcut icon will appear on your Desktop.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Brian Gotjunk" wrote:

    | In Win98 I used Windows Explorer all the time, and even added it to my Quick
    | Launch toolbar.
    |
    | In WinXP it isn't on the first level of the Programs menu, but is moved to
    | the Accessories sub-menu
    |
    | Should I take that to mean that I should be using something else to view my
    | folders and files, and is 'My Computer' supposed to replace Windows
    | Explorer?

    Start>All Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer. If you want it to appear
    on the Start Menu, you can right click on its icon and select "Pin to Start
    Menu".

    "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    > In Win98 I used Windows Explorer all the time, and even added it to my
    > Quick
    > Launch toolbar.
    >
    > In WinXP it isn't on the first level of the Programs menu, but is moved to
    > the Accessories sub-menu
    >
    > Should I take that to mean that I should be using something else to view
    > my
    > folders and files, and is 'My Computer' supposed to replace Windows
    > Explorer?

    I find it is much more convenient to simply hold down the Windows key and
    press the letter E. No need to return to the desktop...
    "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    > In Win98 I used Windows Explorer all the time, and even added it to my
    > Quick
    > Launch toolbar.
    >
    > In WinXP it isn't on the first level of the Programs menu, but is moved to
    > the Accessories sub-menu
    >
    > Should I take that to mean that I should be using something else to view
    > my
    > folders and files, and is 'My Computer' supposed to replace Windows
    > Explorer?

    I did not know that shortcut and I thought I knew all of them - Thanks Chuck

    "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
    > I find it is much more convenient to simply hold down the Windows key and
    > press the letter E. No need to return to the desktop...
    > "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    > > In Win98 I used Windows Explorer all the time, and even added it to my
    > > Quick
    > > Launch toolbar.
    > >
    > > In WinXP it isn't on the first level of the Programs menu, but is moved
    > > the Accessories sub-menu
    > >
    > > Should I take that to mean that I should be using something else to view
    > > my
    > > folders and files, and is 'My Computer' supposed to replace Windows
    > > Explorer?

    I didn't know about it either. I like how it opens as opposed to how it
    opens from the Accessories sub-menu but I prefer to do as much with the
    mouse as I can without have to lean forward in my chair to reach the
    keyboard. Is there a way to make the Windows Explorer you get to via the
    Accessories sub menu open the same as the Windows Key and E method?
    Ken
    >I did not know that shortcut and I thought I knew all of them - Thanks
    >Chuck
    >

    > "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
    >> I find it is much more convenient to simply hold down the Windows key and
    >> press the letter E. No need to return to the desktop...
    >> "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    >> > In Win98 I used Windows Explorer all the time, and even added it to my
    >> > Quick
    >> > Launch toolbar.
    >> >
    >> > In WinXP it isn't on the first level of the Programs menu, but is moved
    >> > the Accessories sub-menu
    >> >
    >> > Should I take that to mean that I should be using something else to
    >> > view
    >> > my
    >> > folders and files, and is 'My Computer' supposed to replace Windows
    >> > Explorer?

    I have a Windows Explorer icon in my Quick Launch bar, but it always come up
    with My Documents expanded and I don't like that, When Windows Explorer
    comes up from the Windows key and E it comes up with My Documents collapsed
    and My Computer selected (but not expanded). Is there a way to get it to
    come up that way from the icon on the Quick Launch bar?
    Ken

    Ken-> wrote:
    > I have a Windows Explorer icon in my Quick Launch bar, but it always come up
    > with My Documents expanded and I don't like that, When Windows Explorer
    > comes up from the Windows key and E it comes up with My Documents collapsed
    > and My Computer selected (but not expanded). Is there a way to get it to
    > come up that way from the icon on the Quick Launch bar?
    > Ken
    >
    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ken
    >>
    >>You can put a Windows Explorer icon in your Quick Launch bar.
    >>
    >>To add a program to the Quick Launch bar
    >>
    >> a.. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the icon for the program
    >>you want to add, and then drag it to the Quick Launch portion of the
    >>taskbar located next to the Start button.
    >> The icon for that program appears next to the other Quick Launch icons
    >>on the taskbar.
    >>
    >>Notes
    >>
    >> a.. If the Quick Launch bar is not displayed, right-click an empty
    >>area on the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click Quick Launch.
    >> b.. If you right-click an empty area on the taskbar and do not see the
    >>Toolbars option, click Lock the Taskbar to clear the check mark.
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>~~~~~~
    >>

    >>Hope this helps.
    >>
    >>Gerry
    >>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>FCA
    >>
    >>Stourport, Worcs, England
    >>Enquire, plan and execute.
    >>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>Please tell the newsgroup how any
    >>suggested solution worked for you.
    >>
    >>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>
    >>"Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I didn't know about it either. I like how it opens as opposed to how
    >>>it opens from the Accessories sub-menu but I prefer to do as much with
    >>>the mouse as I can without have to lean forward in my chair to reach
    >>>the keyboard. Is there a way to make the Windows Explorer you get to
    >>>via the Accessories sub menu open the same as the Windows Key and E
    >>>method?
    >>>Ken
    >>>"Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message

    Just right click on My docs, create a shortcut and drag it to the bar.
    Use it instead of Explorer. I use both depending on where I want to
    navigate.

    gls858

    Ken

    Right click on the icon in the Quick Launch bar. Change the target so
    that it reads c\windows\explorer.exe /e (on basis that your windows
    folder is on your c drive / partition.

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    >I have a Windows Explorer icon in my Quick Launch bar, but it always
    >come up with My Documents expanded and I don't like that, When Windows
    >Explorer comes up from the Windows key and E it comes up with My
    >Documents collapsed and My Computer selected (but not expanded). Is
    >there a way to get it to come up that way from the icon on the Quick
    >Launch bar?
    > Ken
    >
    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Ken
    >>
    >> You can put a Windows Explorer icon in your Quick Launch bar.
    >>
    >> To add a program to the Quick Launch bar
    >>
    >> a.. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the icon for the
    >> program
    >> you want to add, and then drag it to the Quick Launch portion of the
    >> taskbar located next to the Start button.
    >> The icon for that program appears next to the other Quick Launch
    >> icons
    >> on the taskbar.
    >>
    >> Notes
    >>
    >> a.. If the Quick Launch bar is not displayed, right-click an empty
    >> area on the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click Quick Launch.
    >> b.. If you right-click an empty area on the taskbar and do not see
    >> the
    >> Toolbars option, click Lock the Taskbar to clear the check mark.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> ~~~~~~
    >>

    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Gerry
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> FCA
    >>
    >> Stourport, Worcs, England
    >> Enquire, plan and execute.
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> Please tell the newsgroup how any
    >> suggested solution worked for you.
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>
    >> "Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
    >>>I didn't know about it either. I like how it opens as opposed to how
    >>>it opens from the Accessories sub-menu but I prefer to do as much
    >>>with
    >>>the mouse as I can without have to lean forward in my chair to reach
    >>>the keyboard. Is there a way to make the Windows Explorer you get to
    >>>via the Accessories sub menu open the same as the Windows Key and E
    >>>method?
    >>> Ken
    >>> "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message

    Thanks Gerry,
    Where do you find these switches? the /e causes Windows Explorer to open
    with the C drive expanded - which is better than having My Documents
    expanded, but still not what I'm after.

    > Ken
    >
    > Right click on the icon in the Quick Launch bar. Change the target so that
    > it reads c\windows\explorer.exe /e (on basis that your windows folder is
    > on your c drive / partition.
    >

    > ~~~~~~
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Gerry
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > suggested solution worked for you.
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >

    > "Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
    >>I have a Windows Explorer icon in my Quick Launch bar, but it always come
    >>up with My Documents expanded and I don't like that, When Windows Explorer
    >>comes up from the Windows key and E it comes up with My Documents
    >>collapsed and My Computer selected (but not expanded). Is there a way to
    >>get it to come up that way from the icon on the Quick Launch bar?
    >> Ken
    >>
    >> "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>> Ken
    >>>
    >>> You can put a Windows Explorer icon in your Quick Launch bar.
    >>>
    >>> To add a program to the Quick Launch bar
    >>>
    >>> a.. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the icon for the program
    >>> you want to add, and then drag it to the Quick Launch portion of the
    >>> taskbar located next to the Start button.
    >>> The icon for that program appears next to the other Quick Launch icons
    >>> on the taskbar.
    >>>
    >>> Notes
    >>>
    >>> a.. If the Quick Launch bar is not displayed, right-click an empty
    >>> area on the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click Quick Launch.
    >>> b.. If you right-click an empty area on the taskbar and do not see the
    >>> Toolbars option, click Lock the Taskbar to clear the check mark.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> ~~~~~~
    >>>

    >>> Hope this helps.
    >>>
    >>> Gerry
    >>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>> FCA
    >>>
    >>> Stourport, Worcs, England
    >>> Enquire, plan and execute.
    >>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>> Please tell the newsgroup how any
    >>> suggested solution worked for you.
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>
    >>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>>
    >>> "Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message

    Ken

    How To Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Thanks Gerry,
    > Where do you find these switches? the /e causes Windows Explorer to
    > open with the C drive expanded - which is better than having My
    > Documents expanded, but still not what I'm after.
    > Ken
    >
    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Ken
    >>
    >> Right click on the icon in the Quick Launch bar. Change the target so
    >> that it reads c\windows\explorer.exe /e (on basis that your windows
    >> folder is on your c drive / partition.
    >>

    >> ~~~~~~
    >>

    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Gerry
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> FCA
    >>
    >> Stourport, Worcs, England
    >> Enquire, plan and execute.
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> Please tell the newsgroup how any
    >> suggested solution worked for you.
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>

    >> "Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
    >>>I have a Windows Explorer icon in my Quick Launch bar, but it always
    >>>come up with My Documents expanded and I don't like that, When
    >>>Windows Explorer comes up from the Windows key and E it comes up with
    >>>My Documents collapsed and My Computer selected (but not expanded).
    >>>Is there a way to get it to come up that way from the icon on the
    >>>Quick Launch bar?
    >>> Ken
    >>>
    >>> "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    Thanks Gerry, That helped a lot. What I wound up doing was just putting "
    /e," (without the quotes) after the explorer.exe. It is almost what you
    told me earlier but I had to add the comma to get My Computer to get the
    focus instead of the C drive.
    Thanks again,

    > Ken
    >
    > How To Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856
    >
    > --
    >
    > ~~~~~~
    >

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Gerry
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Please tell the newsgroup how any
    > suggested solution worked for you.
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    > "Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Gerry,
    >> Where do you find these switches? the /e causes Windows Explorer to open
    >> with the C drive expanded - which is better than having My Documents
    >> expanded, but still not what I'm after.
    >> Ken
    >>
    >> "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>> Ken
    >>>
    >>> Right click on the icon in the Quick Launch bar. Change the target so
    >>> that it reads c\windows\explorer.exe /e (on basis that your windows
    >>> folder is on your c drive / partition.
    >>>

    >>> ~~~~~~
    >>>

    >>> Hope this helps.
    >>>
    >>> Gerry
    >>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>> FCA
    >>>
    >>> Stourport, Worcs, England
    >>> Enquire, plan and execute.
    >>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>> Please tell the newsgroup how any
    >>> suggested solution worked for you.
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>
    >>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>>

    >>> "Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message

    My pleasure.

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Thanks Gerry, That helped a lot. What I wound up doing was just
    > putting " /e," (without the quotes) after the explorer.exe. It is
    > almost what you told me earlier but I had to add the comma to get My
    > Computer to get the focus instead of the C drive.
    > Thanks again,
    > Ken
    >
    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Ken
    >>
    >> How To Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> ~~~~~~
    >>

    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Gerry
    >> FCA
    >>
    >> Stourport, Worcs, England
    >> Enquire, plan and execute.
    >> Please tell the newsgroup how any
    >> suggested solution worked for you.
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Windows Explorer Microsoft Accessories Windows XP