anyone using ata and sata drives together?

Hi all,

I installed a new 200GB sata drive in my Windows 2000 sp4 computer which I
want to use as my C and D drives, keeping my 80GB ata C drive as my
secondary drive.

Problem: the system will only see my 80GB drive if it is the primary drive,
and the 200GB as the secondary - if I make the 200GB the boot drive the 80GB
is invisible to the system.

The bios recognizes the drives, but Windows does not seem to. I've checked
the registry, the bios, jumper switches, and used the Lifeguard setup. Is
anyone there using this setup ??

thanks to all for any suggestions,

rob

"promicro" <promicro@cshore.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I installed a new 200GB sata drive in my Windows 2000 sp4 computer
> which I
> want to use as my C and D drives, keeping my 80GB ata C drive as my
> secondary drive.
>
> Problem: the system will only see my 80GB drive if it is the primary
> drive,
> and the 200GB as the secondary - if I make the 200GB the boot drive
> the 80GB
> is invisible to the system.
>
> The bios recognizes the drives, but Windows does not seem to. I've
> checked
> the registry, the bios, jumper switches, and used the Lifeguard setup.
> Is
> anyone there using this setup ??
>
> thanks to all for any suggestions,

you probably need to press F6 during the initial install to add the SATA
drivers as they'll not be part of the W2K install process being newer
hardware than 2k is aware of.

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

dl

Assuming the sata drive is booting OK, the ide should be set as master. Then
check Disk Management, it may require assignment of a drive letter.
Personally I've seen problems when using third part tools to partition/setup
a new install
PS I have 2*sata + 2*ide, sata as boot, all works fine.

"promicro" <promicro@cshore.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I installed a new 200GB sata drive in my Windows 2000 sp4 computer which I
> want to use as my C and D drives, keeping my 80GB ata C drive as my
> secondary drive.
>
> Problem: the system will only see my 80GB drive if it is the primary
drive,
> and the 200GB as the secondary - if I make the 200GB the boot drive the
80GB
> is invisible to the system.
>
> The bios recognizes the drives, but Windows does not seem to. I've checked
> the registry, the bios, jumper switches, and used the Lifeguard setup. Is
> anyone there using this setup ??
>
> thanks to all for any suggestions,
>
> rob

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"promicro" <promicro@cshore.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I installed a new 200GB sata drive in my Windows 2000 sp4 computer which I
> want to use as my C and D drives, keeping my 80GB ata C drive as my
> secondary drive.
>
> Problem: the system will only see my 80GB drive if it is the primary
> drive,
> and the 200GB as the secondary - if I make the 200GB the boot drive the
> 80GB
> is invisible to the system.
>
> The bios recognizes the drives, but Windows does not seem to. I've checked
> the registry, the bios, jumper switches, and used the Lifeguard setup. Is
> anyone there using this setup ??
>
> thanks to all for any suggestions,

Your problem may have variables that are unknown to me. I would
guess from your description that you have a SATA bridge (4) instead
of an Ultra ATA controller (6) on your MB.

thanks for your replies, I'm trying them all and have the following
questions:

Steve, I have seen the F6 displayed before, but not recently - how do I
find it?

DL, glad to see someone using the drives the way I want to - my ide is
set to master and the sata is booting - should I be assigning the boot
drive if it is not C: (it is :)

Frank, my system board has the ultra ata/100 bus master controller and 2
serial ata host controllers.

Rob

"promicro" <promicro@isp.com> wrote in message
> thanks for your replies, I'm trying them all and have the following
> questions:
>
> Steve, I have seen the F6 displayed before, but not recently - how do
> I find it?
>
> DL, glad to see someone using the drives the way I want to - my ide is
> set to master and the sata is booting - should I be assigning the boot
> drive if it is not C: (it is :)
>
> Frank, my system board has the ultra ata/100 bus master controller and
> 2 serial ata host controllers.
>
> Rob

during the initial blue screen part of the install it appears at the
bottom of the screen, just keep pressing F6 at the start

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

dl

Assigning boot drive depends on your mobo, some set it to sata, others to
scsi