Help putting Win 7 upgrade version on new system build

nightlytoast

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I just got my computer up and running today.YAY
My next step is to install win 7 on it. So i got win 7 pro 64 bit through digital river with a sweet student discount and also a back up disc that came in the mail. I have noticed that it says upgrade on it though. I have been hearing and being told so many different things that i can not tell what is true.
Please only post an answer if you are certain it is correct
Thank you and with that being said here are my questions

Questions:
Could someone please explain to me what i am exactly supposed to do with the backup disc?
Can i use this on a new computer, ie one without any os on it already?

A friend referred me to this site. It sounds very confusing and i am not very tech savvy when it comes to things like this. Will i need to install it onto a diff computer in order to do this bootable upgrade? does the back up disc come into play? Could someone please explain the instructions in a very simplistic way.
http://www.notebooks.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-the-student-discounted-windows-7-upgrade-bootable/

Any other ideas or solutions to getting win7 upgrade version onto a new system build?

nightlytoast

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks for replies.
Called MS and they gave me the clean install version for same price and returned other one, so i don't need to go through the hassle of burning it and doing all that.