P5N-E SLI & Memory

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Hey, has anybody built much with this board? I picked it up and I got 2 GB Corsair XMS 800Mhz PC6400 RAM, but I've heard that the board is prett finicky with RAM. Has anyone experienced any problems, particularly with this memory? I'm just getting a little nervous about it...thanks.

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Hey, cool man. Thanks for the pics and all too. I'm getting my memory and CPU tomorrow finally. I have everything else. But I can't do much without those two! Haha. Well, thanks man. I'm hopin' mine will be as smooth as yours. Hey, one question though. Is that static free material that you laid out or something? If it is, where did you pick that up?

Sublime_OS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Hey, cool man. Thanks for the pics and all too. I'm getting my memory and CPU tomorrow finally. I have everything else. But I can't do much without those two! Haha. Well, thanks man. I'm hopin' mine will be as smooth as yours. Hey, one question though. Is that static free material that you laid out or something? If it is, where did you pick that up?

the static free material was what the mobo came in, i just laid it down to work on... same with the static free bag for the RAM etc. The 650i installation was great, and I had no problems. I'll make some recommendations for you:

#1: install your RAM in the black slots (I'm assuming your dropping in two sticks). You can put them in the yellow slots, but by putting them in the black slots they will be farther away from the NB heatsink.

#2: Right when you get into the BIOS, set your RAM timings to the factory specs and 2T first. Also, for my RAM, the factory spec voltage was 2.2v. I initially chose the voltage option right below 2.2v, but since then have used the 2.25v (I think) option.

Any more questions during your build I'll answer them here

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
The static material was what the mobo came in? I'm not sure I understand. I know it's in the static free bag and all. Is there something else in the mobo box I haven't seen or something? But yeah, I'm dropping two sticks in. That's a good idea for the black slots.

Sublime_OS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
The static material was what the mobo came in? I'm not sure I understand. I know it's in the static free bag and all. Is there something else in the mobo box I haven't seen or something? But yeah, I'm dropping two sticks in. That's a good idea for the black slots.

yes it's the static free bag it came in... are you planning on overclocking? What CPU are you getting? What are your plans for cooling?

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'm getting an E6600. I might do a little overclocking. Not much experience with it so far. I got an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro though.

gscrugg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Im running the P5N-E SLI with an E6300 @ 2.6ghz and OCZ DDR2-800 Platinum at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.095V I believe. I dont think the board is really that picky as long as you get name brand memory..?

paulbb1

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I have the same board and memory. It has been running for a week. I had to move to the black slots and the first manual voltage setting for the memory. It became stable at that point and able to play Company of Heros w/o freezing up.

irocem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I just got the same board 2 days ago..E6600,1 gig of pqi..and an 8800gts..it won't post..I'm thinking its the ram..anybody else have an opinion?

gscrugg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I have P5N-Sli with E6300, corsair 520 p/s, and 2 gigs of ocz platinum DDR2-800. When i first booted it wouldnt turn on, so i replugged all of the cables to make sure they were all in and i also took both of the memory modules out and replaced them and it booted fine after i did all of that.

irocem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
It was the memory...Put in a 1 gig stick of Super Talent PC 800 and it fired right up..no problems since..totally stable..

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'll just keep this in the same thread. Have any of you guys done anything with the Southbridge? Cooling or anything? I've been looking all over for a Southbridge heatsink or something. No luck really. What have you guys done?

chefcg1

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
just got this board yesterday, waiting to get my E4300 hopefull it will be sitting on my door step this evening when I get home. You can see everything in this build in my sig. I was a little gun shy about getting this board considering I haven't heard much about it and even the Asus site was problematic for getting info.

I'm glad to hear the G. Skill did well since that is what I got. I'll post my results after the build is together. I do plan on overclocking this so I'll also post my results on that when I get around to doing it.

anyone know if you can set up a raid 0 on this board using 1 sata HD and 1 IDE HD like you could on some of the older Asus boards. I didn't see anything in the printed manual and I haven't taken a look at the CD yet to read what is on there, but thought I would ask if anyone knew off hand.

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I couldn't tell ya about the RAID man. I only have one HDD. I thought I heard something like that, but it may have been another Asus board.

SilentBob66

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
I just built an new pc:

Asus p5n e-sli
Core 2 Duo E6600
BFG 7600GT OC
Adata DDR2 800 (2sticks of 512)

I've been having nothing but problems. Short version of the story is:

froze up while loading windows install files
got xp installed but still having lock/freeze up problems.
I was able to play F.E.A.R for about 1/2 hour with good graphics settings but then froze up
Same problem playing a DVD (froze up 20min into it)

So, now I have one stick of ram in the second yellow slot. I haven't had any freeze ups yet and it passed MemTest with no problem (Passed with two sticks in both the yellow slots as well [it just occurred to me that I should try to do MemTest with both sticks in the black slots as well, just to see] )

Someone suggested (on the asus forums) to put both sticks in the black slots. If I do that I can't boot up past the windows 'welcome' screen.

I'm going to swap out the one mem stick for the other when I get home. If both run with no problem on there own then I will try putting both of them in the A or B side and run without dual channel. If it runs fine with both in one channel then I will assume there is a problem with the mobo and send it back.

P.S. A friend of mine built the identical system as me and he has been up and running for a week with no problems at all.

Could be that I just have a bad board or bad memory.

Check out the ASUS forums there are some posts on there with people having similar problems but most say their problems went away when putting both sticks in the black slots.

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
What's your PSU? What kind of CPU cooler are you using? How are your temps? I have my memory in the black slots too, it works fine. I have Corsair memory that isn't specifically on the QVL for RAM, but Corsair obviously is. Maybe Adata was never tested on the board? I don't know. Could be the memory. I would like to know what your PSU is though.

SilentBob66

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
I swapped the power supply out and still have problems.

The case came with an Antec 430W Neo HE

I swapped an Antec 350W Smartpower from my old machine.

The CPU temps are normally in the 32-36º with no load. Never seen the CPU temp above 50º.

The mother board temps are usually about 30-34º

Like I said my friend built the same machine with same memory and is working fine.