Sign in with
Your question

Is a Motherboard that important??? (Building a new system)

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2007 8:12:06 PM

Greetings all,
I have read a lot of different posts and threads until my head is splitting, but I am still a touch confused. I am sure the information is really out there, but my mind has giving up. I currently have a 2400+ Athlon, 2GB RAM, x800GTO 256MB AGP, and a Asus mobo that I can't remember off the top of my head. The system performs very well still, but I am having vid lag in some of the MMOs I play.

Here is my quandary, I have always believed that good RAM and a good Video card could really speed up a Windows system. I am planning on getting a AM2 +3800 dual core, 1GB RAM, a 7600GT PCI-e and a mobo that will fill the bill. I have seen a lot of posts about how the Crossfire boards are really sweet and great upgrade flexibility, but is it worth it over say another GB of RAM or a better vid card? And is there a good mobo out there that would work seeing that I don't OC on my main system.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

GT
January 5, 2007 8:31:10 PM

Yes a MOBO is that important given everything runs through it but that doesn't mean you have to get the most expensive one. When looking at mobo first decide what onboard features you need. E.g., if you have a digital camcorder you'd want onboard firewire. If your not into gaming, you probably don't need SLI or Crossfire but I found most mobo w firewire are also SLI. If you don't overlook you don't need a mobo that's good for OC given they usually cost more. If your video card is an nVidia, you likely better off with SLI. Read reviews mobo there are good ones on this site as well as extremetech.com. Also the reviews newegg.com can be useful but take with many grains of salt. Personally, I like 3 PCI slots, one for my sound card, one for a wireless card, and one for a TV card gut if your using onboard sound this isn't an issue. Check the manuals on the mfg website to see how good they are.
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2007 1:01:45 PM

Quote:
...but I am having vid lag in some of the MMOs I play.

Here is my quandary, I have always believed that good RAM and a good Video card could really speed up a Windows system. I am planning on getting a AM2 +3800 dual core, 1GB RAM, a 7600GT PCI-e and a mobo that will fill the bill. I have seen a lot of posts about how the Crossfire boards are really sweet and great upgrade flexibility, but is it worth it over say another GB of RAM or a better vid card? And is there a good mobo out there that would work seeing that I don't OC on my main system...

g-paw's advice is solid.
Given that you are buying a $110 videocard, spending money on a dual videocard capable motherboard makes no sense. This is a solid board for AM2. There are others. It just depends on the features you need.
Asus M2N-E sktAM2 nF570 $93+7 1/06/07
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
If you get a quality board and keep the feature set down to only what you need than maybe you can afford a little faster videocard. This will give you the most bang-for-the-buck with games. More ram is always nice but only a few games really need it. 1GB should be fine for now. You will need DDR2-800 for this application though.
Related resources
January 8, 2007 8:48:10 PM

Thanks for the input. I am trying to do this on a shoestring, so I will probably stretch out the most expensive components last. Maybe they will drop a little in price.

Thanks again,

GT
January 9, 2007 4:29:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I am trying to do this on a shoestring, so I will probably stretch out the most expensive components last. Maybe they will drop a little in price.

Thanks again,

GT
As Newf said...if at all possible, try and get PC6400(DDR2-800) RAM for your system. Running anything slower will see the performance dropping off. GL :) 
!