Application Backup

I'm upgrading my hardrive and need to copy a few applications that I can't
seem to find the CD. Does anyone know of a backup program that will copy
applications that will run once moved?

Thanks,
Wallace
5 answers Last reply
More about application backup

    There isnt such a thing. Apps add files/entries in numerous places,
    including the win registry.
    You need the installation cd.
    You could either use the new second hd as a slave, or use the disk copy
    utility, often supplied with a new hd, or available from the hd manu web
    site.
    Or use a third party tool, eg Ghost, Acronis

    "Wallace Pipp" <WallyHPipp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm upgrading my hardrive and need to copy a few applications that I can't
    > seem to find the CD. Does anyone know of a backup program that will copy
    > applications that will run once moved?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wallace

    > There isnt such a thing. Apps add files/entries in numerous places,
    > including the win registry.

    Well, there is a product called 'PC Relocator' that seems to do this between
    two PCs, although I'm not sure how well it works. I can't imagine it would
    be too hard to gather up all the droppings since most apps have a standard
    uninstall program -- there must be a way to interigate it to find all the
    missing pieces.

    Thanks,
    Wallace

    It might be but you'll need to get the definitive list from the application
    developer. There really is no specific standard and some apps have 100's of
    registry entries in the machine and user hives.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Wallace Pipp" wrote:
    |> There isnt such a thing. Apps add files/entries in numerous places,
    | > including the win registry.
    |

    | Well, there is a product called 'PC Relocator' that seems to do this
    between
    | two PCs, although I'm not sure how well it works. I can't imagine it would
    | be too hard to gather up all the droppings since most apps have a standard
    | uninstall program -- there must be a way to interigate it to find all the
    | missing pieces.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Wallace

    Some commercial apps used to include a tool, eg Symantec, however they all
    dropped the facility. Most be a good reason???

    > > There isnt such a thing. Apps add files/entries in numerous places,
    > > including the win registry.
    >

    > Well, there is a product called 'PC Relocator' that seems to do this
    between
    > two PCs, although I'm not sure how well it works. I can't imagine it would
    > be too hard to gather up all the droppings since most apps have a standard
    > uninstall program -- there must be a way to interigate it to find all the
    > missing pieces.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wallace

    PS
    I think you'll find PC Relocator mereley clones the *entire* hd to a new
    one, and this is assumed to be the boot drive.
    Ghost & Acronis do the same, neither can move an individual app

    "Wallace Pipp" <WallyHPipp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > There isnt such a thing. Apps add files/entries in numerous places,
    > > including the win registry.
    >

    > Well, there is a product called 'PC Relocator' that seems to do this
    between
    > two PCs, although I'm not sure how well it works. I can't imagine it would
    > be too hard to gather up all the droppings since most apps have a standard
    > uninstall program -- there must be a way to interigate it to find all the
    > missing pieces.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wallace

Backup Microsoft CD-Rom Windows