Application Backup

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 26, 2005 1:01:17 AM

I'm upgrading my hardrive and need to copy a few applications that I can't
seem to find the CD. Does anyone know of a backup program that will copy
applications that will run once moved?

Thanks,
Wallace

More about : application backup

July 26, 2005 2:37:16 AM

There isnt such a thing. Apps add files/entries in numerous places,
including the win registry.
You need the installation cd.
You could either use the new second hd as a slave, or use the disk copy
utility, often supplied with a new hd, or available from the hd manu web
site.
Or use a third party tool, eg Ghost, Acronis

"Wallace Pipp" <WallyHPipp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm upgrading my hardrive and need to copy a few applications that I can't
> seem to find the CD. Does anyone know of a backup program that will copy
> applications that will run once moved?
>
> Thanks,
> Wallace

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:37:17 AM

> There isnt such a thing. Apps add files/entries in numerous places,
> including the win registry.

Well, there is a product called 'PC Relocator' that seems to do this between
two PCs, although I'm not sure how well it works. I can't imagine it would
be too hard to gather up all the droppings since most apps have a standard
uninstall program -- there must be a way to interigate it to find all the
missing pieces.

Thanks,
Wallace
July 26, 2005 2:37:18 AM

It might be but you'll need to get the definitive list from the application
developer. There really is no specific standard and some apps have 100's of
registry entries in the machine and user hives.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Wallace Pipp" wrote:
|> There isnt such a thing. Apps add files/entries in numerous places,
| > including the win registry.
|

| Well, there is a product called 'PC Relocator' that seems to do this
between
| two PCs, although I'm not sure how well it works. I can't imagine it would
| be too hard to gather up all the droppings since most apps have a standard
| uninstall program -- there must be a way to interigate it to find all the
| missing pieces.
|
| Thanks,
| Wallace

July 28, 2005 12:43:53 AM

Some commercial apps used to include a tool, eg Symantec, however they all
dropped the facility. Most be a good reason???

> > There isnt such a thing. Apps add files/entries in numerous places,
> > including the win registry.
>

> Well, there is a product called 'PC Relocator' that seems to do this
between
> two PCs, although I'm not sure how well it works. I can't imagine it would
> be too hard to gather up all the droppings since most apps have a standard
> uninstall program -- there must be a way to interigate it to find all the
> missing pieces.
>
> Thanks,
> Wallace

July 28, 2005 12:48:21 AM

PS
I think you'll find PC Relocator mereley clones the *entire* hd to a new
one, and this is assumed to be the boot drive.
Ghost & Acronis do the same, neither can move an individual app

!