What do you think of this $199 surround system?

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 9, 2004 10:00:32 AM

For $199 what do you think?

SONY HT-DDW660 -- This 420-watt Home Theater System delivers a cinematic
experience in your home, without crowding you out of the room!
Four powered satellite speakers (70 watts each) immerse you in movie or
multi-track music audio
100-watt slim center speaker delivers every bit of dialogue, down to
whispers
8-inch subwoofer fills out the low end of the sonic spectrum, from drums to
bombs
Integrates state-of-the-art surround decoding: Dolby Digital, dts, Dolby Pro
Logic
Transform your soundscape with 32-bit Digital signal processing
Connects easily to digital cable boxes, satellite boxes, HDTV set top boxes,
Playstation 2 and other game systems (with optical output)
Receiver section: 70 Watts x 2 (8 ohms 40Hz - 20kHz, 0.09% THD)
Tuner with 20 FM + 10 AM Station presets
Inputs: 1 Coaxial & 1 Optical Digital, 2 Analog Audio
Outputs: Headphone jack (1/4"), 1 Analog Audio
Includes Remote Commander(R) Remote Control, Speaker Cables, Mono RCA Cord,
Coaxial Digital RCA Cord

I like that it includes DD, DTS and PLII. You think this would be enough for
a standard bed room sized room? Anybody have one? Opinions please

More about : 199 surround system

Anonymous
April 9, 2004 1:54:01 PM

For $199, all you can hope for is that it will not hurt your ears.
Listen to it and if you find it acceptable, it will do for casual use.

Kal

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 06:00:32 GMT, "Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>For $199 what do you think?
>
>SONY HT-DDW660 -- This 420-watt Home Theater System delivers a cinematic
>experience in your home, without crowding you out of the room!
>Four powered satellite speakers (70 watts each) immerse you in movie or
>multi-track music audio
>100-watt slim center speaker delivers every bit of dialogue, down to
>whispers
>8-inch subwoofer fills out the low end of the sonic spectrum, from drums to
>bombs
>Integrates state-of-the-art surround decoding: Dolby Digital, dts, Dolby Pro
>Logic
>Transform your soundscape with 32-bit Digital signal processing
>Connects easily to digital cable boxes, satellite boxes, HDTV set top boxes,
>Playstation 2 and other game systems (with optical output)
>Receiver section: 70 Watts x 2 (8 ohms 40Hz - 20kHz, 0.09% THD)
>Tuner with 20 FM + 10 AM Station presets
>Inputs: 1 Coaxial & 1 Optical Digital, 2 Analog Audio
>Outputs: Headphone jack (1/4"), 1 Analog Audio
>Includes Remote Commander(R) Remote Control, Speaker Cables, Mono RCA Cord,
>Coaxial Digital RCA Cord
>
>I like that it includes DD, DTS and PLII. You think this would be enough for
>a standard bed room sized room? Anybody have one? Opinions please

April 9, 2004 4:20:41 PM

If it was in a bedroom and was not my usual, or only HT, then that's a good
"price". Mind you it probably sounds like a boom box.
Clay
"Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> For $199 what do you think?
>
> SONY HT-DDW660 -- This 420-watt Home Theater System delivers a cinematic
> experience in your home, without crowding you out of the room!
> Four powered satellite speakers (70 watts each) immerse you in movie or
> multi-track music audio
> 100-watt slim center speaker delivers every bit of dialogue, down to
> whispers
> 8-inch subwoofer fills out the low end of the sonic spectrum, from drums
> bombs
> Integrates state-of-the-art surround decoding: Dolby Digital, dts, Dolby
Pro
> Logic
> Transform your soundscape with 32-bit Digital signal processing
> Connects easily to digital cable boxes, satellite boxes, HDTV set top
boxes,
> Playstation 2 and other game systems (with optical output)
> Receiver section: 70 Watts x 2 (8 ohms 40Hz - 20kHz, 0.09% THD)
> Tuner with 20 FM + 10 AM Station presets
> Inputs: 1 Coaxial & 1 Optical Digital, 2 Analog Audio
> Outputs: Headphone jack (1/4"), 1 Analog Audio
> Includes Remote Commander(R) Remote Control, Speaker Cables, Mono RCA
Cord,
> Coaxial Digital RCA Cord
>
> I like that it includes DD, DTS and PLII. You think this would be enough
for
> a standard bed room sized room? Anybody have one? Opinions please

Related resources
April 9, 2004 11:40:43 PM

My brother has this system hooked up to his Sony hd set and for tv it's
really not bad. But I'd say it won't cut it as a subtitue for a real stereo
Bottom line if given the choice between it and the tv's speakers I could
live with em.

"Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> For $199 what do you think?
>
> SONY HT-DDW660 -- This 420-watt Home Theater System delivers a cinematic
> experience in your home, without crowding you out of the room!
> Four powered satellite speakers (70 watts each) immerse you in movie or
> multi-track music audio
> 100-watt slim center speaker delivers every bit of dialogue, down to
> whispers
> 8-inch subwoofer fills out the low end of the sonic spectrum, from drums
> bombs
> Integrates state-of-the-art surround decoding: Dolby Digital, dts, Dolby
Pro
> Logic
> Transform your soundscape with 32-bit Digital signal processing
> Connects easily to digital cable boxes, satellite boxes, HDTV set top
boxes,
> Playstation 2 and other game systems (with optical output)
> Receiver section: 70 Watts x 2 (8 ohms 40Hz - 20kHz, 0.09% THD)
> Tuner with 20 FM + 10 AM Station presets
> Inputs: 1 Coaxial & 1 Optical Digital, 2 Analog Audio
> Outputs: Headphone jack (1/4"), 1 Analog Audio
> Includes Remote Commander(R) Remote Control, Speaker Cables, Mono RCA
Cord,
> Coaxial Digital RCA Cord
>
> I like that it includes DD, DTS and PLII. You think this would be enough
for
> a standard bed room sized room? Anybody have one? Opinions please

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 2:08:18 AM

Ollie T wrote:

> For $199 what do you think?
>
> SONY HT-DDW660 -- This 420-watt Home Theater System delivers a cinematic
> experience in your home, without crowding you out of the room!

I would think the sound of it would make me leave the room.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 8:07:13 AM

You know, I thought they gave up on selling systems by advertising total
watts for home stereo. In fact, I thought that with the exception of car
audio (don't ask me why) it was a no-no. I suppose they (whoever 'they'
are) classify home theatre as different from home audio systems.

To over simplify things -

Adding the watts per channel does not equal total system wattage. That is
to say, a 70 watt per channel amp isn't going to give you 140 watts
(assuming 2 channels) of listening wattage/power/volume (or however you
interpret the sound hitting your ears) unless the channels were bridged
(which would make the output mono)

If you had very efficient speakers (like say studio monitors) 20 watts would
make you have to yell to be heard and 100 watts would blow your ass out of
the chair. At say, 102db per meter.

RichieP

"Sonic" <ergoacess@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o dadnXsy4KAY3-rdRVn-vg@comcast.com...
> My brother has this system hooked up to his Sony hd set and for tv it's
> really not bad. But I'd say it won't cut it as a subtitue for a real
stereo
> Bottom line if given the choice between it and the tv's speakers I could
> live with em.
>

> "Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > For $199 what do you think?
> >
> > SONY HT-DDW660 -- This 420-watt Home Theater System delivers a cinematic
> > experience in your home, without crowding you out of the room!
> > Four powered satellite speakers (70 watts each) immerse you in movie or
> > multi-track music audio
> > 100-watt slim center speaker delivers every bit of dialogue, down to
> > whispers
> > 8-inch subwoofer fills out the low end of the sonic spectrum, from drums
> > bombs
> > Integrates state-of-the-art surround decoding: Dolby Digital, dts, Dolby
> Pro
> > Logic
> > Transform your soundscape with 32-bit Digital signal processing
> > Connects easily to digital cable boxes, satellite boxes, HDTV set top
> boxes,
> > Playstation 2 and other game systems (with optical output)
> > Receiver section: 70 Watts x 2 (8 ohms 40Hz - 20kHz, 0.09% THD)
> > Tuner with 20 FM + 10 AM Station presets
> > Inputs: 1 Coaxial & 1 Optical Digital, 2 Analog Audio
> > Outputs: Headphone jack (1/4"), 1 Analog Audio
> > Includes Remote Commander(R) Remote Control, Speaker Cables, Mono RCA
> Cord,
> > Coaxial Digital RCA Cord
> >
> > I like that it includes DD, DTS and PLII. You think this would be enough
> for
> > a standard bed room sized room? Anybody have one? Opinions please

April 10, 2004 11:01:37 AM

Just saw this
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=400420

This is a step up, more expensive with shipping

!