waterblock for 8800gts compatability

j5surferdude

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Hi, have just purchased a Zalman reserator 1+ and found that the vga waterblock is not compatible with my 8800gts. Ive found a waterblock- the Swiftech MCW60 that has an G80 adapter however Im not sure if this is compatible with the rest of my setup!
Does anyone out there have any ideas?
Buy the way I dont plan to overclock the video card just going for some peace and quite.
Thanks.

j5surferdude

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Thanks for that however the GTX and GTS versions are different in size. Although the GPU and memory chips are in the same place ( there are 12 for the GTX and 10 for the GTS) some of the other chips have a different
layout.
What I really need to know is compatability with fittings ie the correct size of tubing. As the Reserator is not designed for a high flow system it has smaller tubing than is usual. Ive measured the tubing that was supplied and it has an 8mm inside diameter with a 12mm outside diameter.
Thats 5/16''ID 15/32''OD. Does any one have any suggestions?
Cheers.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You can ghetto rig all gpu water block and fit it with the 8800. You need chipset heatsink for the other chip and ram sinks for the rams on the card. You don't have to purchase them expensive 8800 water block.

j5surferdude

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Yes I figured this is what I'd have to do. I'm using the Zalman VGA block that was supplied but the GPU on the 8800GTS is HUGE and it doesnt cover it totaly. The clip that holds the block on doesnt fit either because the mounting holes on the PCB are a few milimeters out. Im holding it together at the moment with a strip of copper sheet that i cut and bent to shape but its a bit flimsy. Im cooling the ram with extra heatsinks that i got but they get very hot. The whole thing is basically just hanging together and my Temps at the mo are about 65 degrees average! Dont know if this is any good?
Anyway Im kinda thinking that getting the Swiftech MCW60 and G80 adapter may be the safest and cheapest option. Hopefully the 3/8'' barbs are compatible with my 5/16'' tubing.
Thanks for all the help.