DVD Drive Not Bootable - Why?

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

I am trying to get my neighbor's Windows 2000 machine running, and
decided to try to boot a disk from his DVD drive. I have tried
setting his BIOS to boot from the drive - and nothing works. In fact,
when I make the drive the ONLY bootable drive, the machine fails to
boot at all. I have tried several disks, each of which is bootable
on other machines.

So - I am left thinking - what could be set (or not set) that would
keep the drive from being bootable? It is Secondary Master by the way
- should be germain.

Thanks

Geezer

Does the DVD drive read CDs? or only DVDs.....

If you do have a DVD/CD combo drive and you said you have tried "several"
discs...are they different discs? or copies of the same disk...perhaps the CD
is not bootable, if all else fails, and there is an existing OS, maybe create
a small partition and copy the i386 folder there, then run the setup from
folder on the other partition
--
"Talk Nerdy to Me"

"geezer" wrote:

> I am trying to get my neighbor's Windows 2000 machine running, and
> decided to try to boot a disk from his DVD drive. I have tried
> setting his BIOS to boot from the drive - and nothing works. In fact,
> when I make the drive the ONLY bootable drive, the machine fails to
> boot at all. I have tried several disks, each of which is bootable
> on other machines.
>
> So - I am left thinking - what could be set (or not set) that would
> keep the drive from being bootable? It is Secondary Master by the way
> - should be germain.
>
> Thanks
>
> Geezer

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:39:01 -0700, "Nick Leh" <nickledesma@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Does the DVD drive read CDs? or only DVDs.....
>
>If you do have a DVD/CD combo drive and you said you have tried "several"
>discs...are they different discs? or copies of the same disk...perhaps the CD
>is not bootable, if all else fails, and there is an existing OS, maybe create
>a small partition and copy the i386 folder there, then run the setup from
>folder on the other partition

I have concluded it is the BIOS. I have tried a second drive with
same result. Both drives work in another machine. Both drives read
CDs and DVDs.

Neither drive shows up in the BIOS page two, but both show in BIOS
page one and in W2000's 'My Computer' and will execute the content of
data disks.

Not sure what to do now. I can't find any BIOS setting to change to
make the drives bootable. If I set the BIOS to only have a CDROM
drive and set that as the only boot drive, I get a boot error.

Thanks

Dont get mad at me, but have you reset the BIOS to its default settings?

--
"Talk Nerdy to Me"

"geezer" wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:39:01 -0700, "Nick Leh" <nickledesma@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Does the DVD drive read CDs? or only DVDs.....
> >
> >If you do have a DVD/CD combo drive and you said you have tried "several"
> >discs...are they different discs? or copies of the same disk...perhaps the CD
> >is not bootable, if all else fails, and there is an existing OS, maybe create
> >a small partition and copy the i386 folder there, then run the setup from
> >folder on the other partition
>

> I have concluded it is the BIOS. I have tried a second drive with
> same result. Both drives work in another machine. Both drives read
> CDs and DVDs.
>
> Neither drive shows up in the BIOS page two, but both show in BIOS
> page one and in W2000's 'My Computer' and will execute the content of
> data disks.
>
> Not sure what to do now. I can't find any BIOS setting to change to
> make the drives bootable. If I set the BIOS to only have a CDROM
> drive and set that as the only boot drive, I get a boot error.
>
> Thanks

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:02:03 -0700, "Nick Leh" <nickledesma@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Dont get mad at me, but have you reset the BIOS to its default settings?

Damn! I wished I had thought of that! It booted! Thanks a meg
Now - what I am really up to here is to reinstall his W2000 system
hoping thereby to eliminate a repetitive error message saying his
system is corrupt. Let us pray....

Geezer