Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo

strikerty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
Im looking at buying my first notebook and have read alot of good things about the core 2 duo however, everytime i go online and build a notebook i run into some that say just core duo and others that say core 2 duo . I do not remember reading about a core duo and am not sure what the distinction is .
I was an AMD fanboy for a long time and just recently due to a THG review bought a Pentium D 805 and overclocked it to 3.32gig because they liked it here so much and i have to say i have been pleasantly surprised at the value performance. Now i just need to know if the core duo is something different than the core 2 duo and if it is how much of a perfomance hit will it take. They both seem to have the same clock speeds when i look at them . Or maybe i should go with a amd x2. . . im not sure at this point .
Im looking at getting one with a 17 inch screen , 256 dedicated video ati or nvidia dont mind either , 1 gig of ram and a 7200 rpm 80 to 120 gig hd. for under 1500 . the only one i have run across is made by battalion. and i have never heard of them . Well any input on this would be appreciated. It will be used mostly for gaming and some for traveling into town and using someones highspeed wifi to dl stuff because i only have a 512k connection here at the house lol. thanks in advance guys

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
gaming and some for traveling into town and using someones high speed wifi to dl stuff
core 2 duo
256 dedicated video ati
1 gig of ram and a 7200 rpm 120 gig hd

Your new System Core 2 Duo is only a 64-Bit version of the Core Duo, and in most benchmarks equally benched Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo The Core 2 Duo is about 5-15% in most cases, because of it's later release and fine atonement.

strikerty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
actually at second look i dont think its an asus mb but still . . one other question while im at it . geforce 7600 go vs x1600 mobility. . . . . there is quite a difference in price range one to the other the 1600 being quite a bit lower than the 7600 in notebooks with the same specs , is the performance range that great that it warrents a 100 to 200 dollar price difference?

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
gaming and some for traveling into town and using someones high speed wifi to dl stuff
core 2 duo
256 dedicated video ati

Your new System Core 2 Duo is only a 64-Bit version of the Core Duo, and in most benchmarks equally benched Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo The Core 2 Duo is about 5-15% in most cases, because of it's later release and fine atonement.

Core 2 duo is more than 5-15% increases. In some aplications like premiere pro 2.0 there is a 50% increase in performance. heat consumption and battery-life are virtualy the same.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
core 2 duo
256 dedicated video ati

Try 28% on average at the same clock speed.

The Core 2 Duo can execute 4 instructions per clock cycle
The Core Duo can only execute 3

The Core 2 Duo also has Macro & Micro Ops fussion, heaps more cache and a faster FSB.

In the short-medium-long term x64 support will only help Core 2 Duo even more.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Not quite. Honestly, in most benchmarks, you will not find more than a 10% per clock difference. In heavy multimedia work, you will, but elsewhere it can be much harder to spot. Anyone who says it's on average 20% percent faster per clock across the board needs to read some more Anandtech benchies.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
12746.png

12747.png

12756.png

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=3
- 800 FSB will help in the mobile sector

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=4

Most of the others are closer to +12% to +16%, but they are not exactly CPU tests, many are 'office suite' tests and include idle CPU time in the benchmark.

When push comes to shove (and it will with future software) +28% will be a more realistic figure.

However depending on the software they plan to use, and their usage patterns they may only notice a +5% to +10% difference.

The test platform only had 1 GB of RAM too, so it was using the HDD more often for paging, and general disk access (ie: as OS disk cache is smaller, the cache hit rate will be lower).

They did however use a Hitachi 7200 rpm HDD, very similar to the 100 GB mobile drive I recommend (I just recommend 2 GB of KingMAX or other good, affordable, mobile RAM be installed).