Best file system to share between PC's and Mac's?

I want to be able to share several gig's of data between a Mac and various
PC's. What's the best way to do it? (Using hard drives.)
5 answers Last reply
More about best file system share

    "Bubba" <respondtogroup@here.com> wrote in message
    >I want to be able to share several gig's of data between a Mac and various
    > PC's. What's the best way to do it? (Using hard drives.)

    The file system doesn't matter, if you aren't talking about a removable
    drive that you want to attach to each computer. If you just want to share
    them across the network, it can be anything you like - networking them will
    be the issue. This is a lot easier if you have OSX on the Macs.

    :
    : The file system doesn't matter, if you aren't talking about a removable
    : drive that you want to attach to each computer. If you just want to share
    : them across the network, it can be anything you like - networking them
    will
    : be the issue. This is a lot easier if you have OSX on the Macs.
    :
    I meant for hard drives. Is there any file system that OS X and Win2000/XP
    read and write to?

    In article <ur5wTavkFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    "Bubba" <respondtogroup@here.com> wrote:

    > : >I want to be able to share several gig's of data between a Mac and
    > various
    > : > PC's. What's the best way to do it? (Using hard drives.)
    > :
    > : The file system doesn't matter, if you aren't talking about a removable
    > : drive that you want to attach to each computer. If you just want to share
    > : them across the network, it can be anything you like - networking them
    > will
    > : be the issue. This is a lot easier if you have OSX on the Macs.
    > :
    > I meant for hard drives. Is there any file system that OS X and Win2000/XP
    > read and write to?

    Mac OS X can read/write Fat32 and read NTFS. Be sure all files use file
    extensions such as .doc, .xls, .txt, etc.

    Hope this helps! bill
    --
    William M. Smith
    (Microsoft Interop MVP)

    > : > I want to be able to share several gig's of data between a Mac and
    > : > various PC's. What's the best way to do it? (Using hard drives.)
    > :
    > : The file system doesn't matter, if you aren't talking about a removable
    > : drive that you want to attach to each computer. If you just want to
    share
    > : them across the network, it can be anything you like - networking them
    > : will be the issue. This is a lot easier if you have OSX on the Macs.
    > :
    > I meant for hard drives. Is there any file system that OS X and
    Win2000/XP
    > read and write to?

    Mac OS X can read/write Fat32 and read NTFS. Be sure all files use file
    extensions such as .doc, .xls, .txt, etc.

    Yet my memory card for my digital camera can only be
    formatted as a FAT. Does that mean Mac can read FAT
    hard drives as well? Though I suppose there's no
    reason to use FAT if I can use FAT 32.

    In article <OsqnxhElFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
    "Bubba" <respondtogroup@here.com> wrote:

    > Mac OS X can read/write Fat32 and read NTFS. Be sure all files use file
    > extensions such as .doc, .xls, .txt, etc.
    >
    > Yet my memory card for my digital camera can only be
    > formatted as a FAT. Does that mean Mac can read FAT
    > hard drives as well? Though I suppose there's no
    > reason to use FAT if I can use FAT 32.

    Hi Bubba!

    My mistake for not including FAT as well. This should work. This page on
    Apple's website verifies the supported formats for Panther (10.3). I
    couldn't find anything specifically mentioning Tiger (10.4) but I would
    suspect the support is still there.
    <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75320>.

    Hope this helps! bill
    --