How do I monitor what is being uploaded and downloaded

rouxbox

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I have a very expensive internet connection and pay for every bite I upload and download. While in idle it seems like I download and upload quite a bit. I have gone in and try to kill processes that I think is causing this, but this is quite a task. Is there a recommended tool out there that will help me to track the culprits in all the up-and downloading?

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Proxy server? or web server type of situation. Have all traffic handled through a main server to get out. Have logging enabled on it.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Some browsers pre-fetch pages, make sure it is turned off.

Some firewalls have a monitoring functions. As well as some newer High end Routers.

MS is one for its Advantage Plan. Make sure your pc's are free of Adware and Spyware. Generally it takes at least 2 different programs/scanners to cover all the basis.

sturm

Splendid
If you want to go on the cheap side, You could always disable the network connection when your not using it. This will stop all traffic from getting in or out.

rouxbox

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Thanks for all the advice, but still surely there must be some piece of software out there that can not only show you the network traffic but also what process/application is responsible for the download and upload. I might have legitimate software causing this which will fall under the spyware radar so that is not necessary going to solve my problem.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
WireShark will tell you anything you need to know, but the learning curve is kinda high. AnalogX has some free utilities that do what you need I think.

If you have a router, you could just get rid of the default rule that allows any traffic from your PC to go out to the Internet. Instead, create rules that allow what you actually use (like http, ftp, smtp, etc). This will prevent other applications such as spyware from being able to connect. You would be surprised just how happily many users can exist with only these three ports open.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
If you have a router, you could just get rid of the default rule that allows any traffic from your PC to go out to the Internet. Instead, create rules that allow what you actually use (like http, ftp, smtp, etc).

Ya but as far as I think, do the cheaper routers that are out there have logging abilitys? Not sure if I noticed one on a cheaper DLink router that I used to have.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I couldn't say whether they do or don't. The highly commercialized $50 routers are great for NAT, but once you try to do much beyond that then they aren't as useful.

Using some sort of utility to see what's doing what is probably the first step to take. Then using that information you can selectively lock things down as needed.