spyware removal problem

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I've been fighting a war with the SAHBundle/SAHAgent trying to remove it
from my system. My Ad-Aware SE Plus program identifies and removes it over
and over and over
.... and it still reappears. It keeps adding the startup command in msconfig
and I want
to remove it completely. I have tried every discussed method I could find to
remove the item from my msconfig startup but NOTHING has worked and it keeps
duplicating entrys after I manually uncheck them from msconfig. I am also
finding the SAME SITUATION with the Spy
Sweeper program which I uninstalled but the startup command keeps
reappearing in my msconfig startup file. I have gone through all the various
removal options and
deleted the key in my registry
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) but it
continues to reappear as soon as I close the view and reopen it. I have
already removed
the bundle.exe from the ...documents and settings\%user name%\local
settings\temp and it now only shows up on my msconfig startup list. I
uncheck the box (and Spy Sweeper which has been uninstalled from my system)
from my msconfig startup and they reappear again as duplicates with the box
checked. I have tried all the google search sites and yahoo. I have McAfee
Internet Suite 6 running and updated but it doesn't help. Is there a way to
delete and/or remove these entries from my msconfig so they don't show up
and the SAHAgent stops relacing itself in my registry (key shown above)??

I would suggest you perform the following:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

Don wrote:
> I've been fighting a war with the SAHBundle/SAHAgent trying to remove it
> from my system. My Ad-Aware SE Plus program identifies and removes it over
> and over and over
> ... and it still reappears. It keeps adding the startup command in msconfig
> and I want
> to remove it completely. I have tried every discussed method I could find to
> remove the item from my msconfig startup but NOTHING has worked and it keeps
> duplicating entrys after I manually uncheck them from msconfig. I am also
> finding the SAME SITUATION with the Spy
> Sweeper program which I uninstalled but the startup command keeps
> reappearing in my msconfig startup file. I have gone through all the various
> removal options and
> deleted the key in my registry
> (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) but it
> continues to reappear as soon as I close the view and reopen it. I have
> already removed
> the bundle.exe from the ...documents and settings\%user name%\local
> settings\temp and it now only shows up on my msconfig startup list. I
> uncheck the box (and Spy Sweeper which has been uninstalled from my system)
> from my msconfig startup and they reappear again as duplicates with the box
> checked. I have tried all the google search sites and yahoo. I have McAfee
> Internet Suite 6 running and updated but it doesn't help. Is there a way to
> delete and/or remove these entries from my msconfig so they don't show up
> and the SAHAgent stops relacing itself in my registry (key shown above)??

Symantec Security Response - Adware.SAHAgent
http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.sahagent.html

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I'm still fighting and it's winning! I have tried all of your options and
the new beta spyware program from microsoft finds and SUPPOSEDLY removes the
detected spyware ... until you run the spyware tool again and then it's
found again and removed and found and removed etc etc ... The msconfig still
shows to start the "bundle" and "Spy Sweeper" programs. The Spy Sweeper is
not a problem because it does not show up as spyware but it is a question as
to why it also continues to reappear in the startup of msconfig?? So far no
one has been able to come up with the answer to this. It's maddening and
frustrating to say the least. I keep trying everything I can and it won't go
away. HELP !!! PLEASE!!!

> Don wrote:
>> I've been fighting a war with the SAHBundle/SAHAgent trying to remove it
>> from my system. My Ad-Aware SE Plus program identifies and removes it
>> over and over and over
>> ... and it still reappears. It keeps adding the startup command in
>> msconfig and I want
>> to remove it completely. I have tried every discussed method I could find
>> to remove the item from my msconfig startup but NOTHING has worked and it
>> keeps duplicating entrys after I manually uncheck them from msconfig. I
>> am also finding the SAME SITUATION with the Spy
>> Sweeper program which I uninstalled but the startup command keeps
>> reappearing in my msconfig startup file. I have gone through all the
>> various removal options and
>> deleted the key in my registry
>> (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) but it
>> continues to reappear as soon as I close the view and reopen it. I have
>> already removed
>> the bundle.exe from the ...documents and settings\%user name%\local
>> settings\temp and it now only shows up on my msconfig startup list. I
>> uncheck the box (and Spy Sweeper which has been uninstalled from my
>> system) from my msconfig startup and they reappear again as duplicates
>> with the box checked. I have tried all the google search sites and yahoo.
>> I have McAfee Internet Suite 6 running and updated but it doesn't help.
>> Is there a way to delete and/or remove these entries from my msconfig so
>> they don't show up and the SAHAgent stops relacing itself in my registry
>> (key shown above)??
>

> Symantec Security Response - Adware.SAHAgent
> http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.sahagent.html
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Don" wrote:

| I'm still fighting and it's winning! I have tried all of your options and
| the new beta spyware program from microsoft finds and SUPPOSEDLY removes the
| detected spyware ... until you run the spyware tool again and then it's
| found again and removed and found and removed etc etc ... The msconfig still
| shows to start the "bundle" and "Spy Sweeper" programs. The Spy Sweeper is
| not a problem because it does not show up as spyware but it is a question as
| to why it also continues to reappear in the startup of msconfig?? So far no
| one has been able to come up with the answer to this. It's maddening and
| frustrating to say the least. I keep trying everything I can and it won't go
| away. HELP !!! PLEASE!!!

After performing a "Clean Install", consider purchasing and
installing a first-rate Internet Security program to help protect
your system from garbage internet web sites:

Norton Internet Security 2005
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/features.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

In other words - you have no idea of how to fix the problem because it too
complicated for you and it's easier to tell me to start over. No thanks -
I'll try and find the right person who can correct the problem instead of
telling me to start over.
> After performing a "Clean Install", consider purchasing and
> installing a first-rate Internet Security program to help protect
> your system from garbage internet web sites:
>
> Norton Internet Security 2005
> http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/features.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User

I have seen systems so infected that starting over was the only viable
option left. Carey could be right.

"Don" <harley4don@npgcable.com> wrote in message
> In other words - you have no idea of how to fix the problem because it too
> complicated for you and it's easier to tell me to start over. No thanks -
> I'll try and find the right person who can correct the problem instead of
> telling me to start over.
>> After performing a "Clean Install", consider purchasing and
>> installing a first-rate Internet Security program to help protect
>> your system from garbage internet web sites:
>>
>> Norton Internet Security 2005
>> http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/features.html
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User

From your original description you seem to be removing it but it keeps
coming back. If that is correct, it begs the question, do you have a
firewall installed or, at the very least, do you have the XP firewall turned
on?

If you are running without a firewall, that might explain how it keeps
returning. If you do have a firewall and it's turned on, my guess is you
have downloaded some file that you and the spyware removal tools and
antivirus have not identified, something which is the source and keeps
infecting your system. Under such circumstances, Carey's response might be
the right course of action assuming you don't restore it from some backup
set. Carey was only trying to help, help which is free and contributed by
him and others who simply volunteer. There's no need to castigate him
because you don't like the response.

Whatever the case, msconfig is a symptom, not the cause.

You might try checking to see if something related appears to be listed in
the running processes. Hit ctrl-alt-delete, go to the processes tab, if you
see something that appears to be related, see if you can find it under
services. Go to Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Services,
check the list of running services for something similar to what you found
under processes. Double click the item, and select disable from the
dropdown list under startup type, then reboot and see if that resolves the
issue.

It really doesn't end there but trying to root this out by trying to find a
corresponding executable might be quite some work. Conversely, if you found
some registry key, there's no way of knowing if removing it might cause some
ripple effect on your system and that brings us back to clean install.

Not sure if you have done this, have you checked the startup folder on the
start menu to see if there are any shortcuts there that might be
responsible. I know that sounds rather simple but sometimes the simplest
and most obvious possibilities are overlooked.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Don" <harley4don@npgcable.com> wrote in message
> In other words - you have no idea of how to fix the problem because it too
> complicated for you and it's easier to tell me to start over. No thanks -
> I'll try and find the right person who can correct the problem instead of
> telling me to start over.
>> After performing a "Clean Install", consider purchasing and
>> installing a first-rate Internet Security program to help protect
>> your system from garbage internet web sites:
>>
>> Norton Internet Security 2005
>> http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/features.html
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User

I don't know if you have already tried this, and since I did not see it in
your post I thought I would submit it:

1. Boot in to Windows XP normally and disable the System Restore feature:
a. Right click on the My Computer icon and choose 'Properties'.
b. Click on the System Restore tab and put a check mark in the "Turn off
System Restore" option.
c. Click on the 'Apply' button, then click the 'OK' button.

2. Reboot the computer, this time booting in to Safe Mode. Once you have
logged on to the computer using safe mode, follow the removal instructions
found at this web site:
http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.sahagent.html

3. Run your Ad-aware Plus Scan again to see if it detects the entries, and
also clean them off of the computer.
4. Reboot your computer once this is done and then re-enable the System
Restore feature.

I hope this helps!

"Don" <harley4don@npgcable.com> wrote in message
> In other words - you have no idea of how to fix the problem because it too
> complicated for you and it's easier to tell me to start over. No thanks -
> I'll try and find the right person who can correct the problem instead of
> telling me to start over.
>> After performing a "Clean Install", consider purchasing and
>> installing a first-rate Internet Security program to help protect
>> your system from garbage internet web sites:
>>
>> Norton Internet Security 2005
>> http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/features.html
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User

Hi,

Michael has the right idea - if it keeps coming back, then it's not being
properly removed. This is not all that unusual, but it sure is a pain in the
butt. Boot to Safe mode, scan the registry for mention of it. Delete strings
that refer to it. You may also want to download and run Doug Knox's startup
tracker to assist you (in the utilities section at www.dougknox.com). You
may also find that it is loading from different user hives, so may have to
logon as each user to properly locate and remove the starting points. This
is a fairly tedious task, but it's the only way.

The MS spyware tool is a BETA - so it isn't going to work right all the
time, do not rely on this to remove the stubborn ones.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Don" <harley4don@npgcable.com> wrote in message
> In other words - you have no idea of how to fix the problem because it too
> complicated for you and it's easier to tell me to start over. No thanks -
> I'll try and find the right person who can correct the problem instead of
> telling me to start over.
>> After performing a "Clean Install", consider purchasing and
>> installing a first-rate Internet Security program to help protect
>> your system from garbage internet web sites:
>>
>> Norton Internet Security 2005
>> http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/features.html
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User

Rick

What about an entry in the Hosts file? Might that help?

~~~~~~

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Hi,
>
> Michael has the right idea - if it keeps coming back, then it's not
> being properly removed. This is not all that unusual, but it sure is a
> pain in the butt. Boot to Safe mode, scan the registry for mention of
> it. Delete strings that refer to it. You may also want to download and
> run Doug Knox's startup tracker to assist you (in the utilities
> section at www.dougknox.com). You may also find that it is loading
> from different user hives, so may have to logon as each user to
> properly locate and remove the starting points. This is a fairly
> tedious task, but it's the only way.
>
> The MS spyware tool is a BETA - so it isn't going to work right all
> the time, do not rely on this to remove the stubborn ones.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Don" <harley4don@npgcable.com> wrote in message
>> In other words - you have no idea of how to fix the problem because
>> it too complicated for you and it's easier to tell me to start over.
>> No thanks - I'll try and find the right person who can correct the
>> problem instead of telling me to start over.
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> After performing a "Clean Install", consider purchasing and
>>> installing a first-rate Internet Security program to help protect
>>> your system from garbage internet web sites:
>>>
>>> Norton Internet Security 2005
>>> http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/features.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP - Shell/User

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Well. I'll just have say thanks for all your thoughts & efforts because
nothing has worked and I have investigated and tried them ALL (with the
exception of the clean install). I do have and have had McAfee Internet
Suite 6 with the firewall and antivirus continually up and running since I
did a "clean install" with auto updates for all programs (including Win XP
with SP2). I also have (but not yet installed) Norton anti virus 2004, which
I bought at the same time as the McAfee Internet Suite 6. I had previously
used Norton but had heard some stories of it missing some problems which
McAfee would find. So I tried McAfee this time (for the past 9 months) to
see if it was better. Regardless, the software has been in service and yet
the problem is still present and apparently unbeatable.
"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Rick
>
> What about an entry in the Hosts file? Might that help?
>

> ~~~~~~
>
> Regards.
>
> Gerry
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>> Hi,
>>
>> Michael has the right idea - if it keeps coming back, then it's not being
>> properly removed. This is not all that unusual, but it sure is a pain in
>> the butt. Boot to Safe mode, scan the registry for mention of it. Delete
>> strings that refer to it. You may also want to download and run Doug
>> Knox's startup tracker to assist you (in the utilities section at
>> www.dougknox.com). You may also find that it is loading from different
>> user hives, so may have to logon as each user to properly locate and
>> remove the starting points. This is a fairly tedious task, but it's the
>> only way.
>>
>> The MS spyware tool is a BETA - so it isn't going to work right all the
>> time, do not rely on this to remove the stubborn ones.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Don" <harley4don@npgcable.com> wrote in message
>>> In other words - you have no idea of how to fix the problem because it
>>> too complicated for you and it's easier to tell me to start over. No
>>> thanks - I'll try and find the right person who can correct the problem
>>> instead of telling me to start over.
>>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

Salut/Hi Don,

First of all, my heartiest sympathy.

Having once had quite a nasty attack of spyware, I know how stubborn they
can be. I've also read most of the suggestions and comments and your