How to check if it is legal

jr

I have started a new job and one of my first tasks is to audit the work of
the previous sys admin. I've never done this before so I need a little
help. We have several different facilities with about 20-30 systems at
each. Every system has a certificate of Authenticity stuck to the side.
The product key used on the system does not match the product key on the
certificate. How can I be certain that everything I have here is legal?
There are no media disks that match and the more I dig up the more confused
I become. Also, every system was supposed to be purchased with office 2000,
XP or 2003 professional installed (Depending on when the system was
purchased) There is no media for any of this either so the certificate of
authenticity has vanished. Most of it I'm sure is legal but I need to
double check. Please help. Where do I go from here?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23Ohb$BukFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
jr <jrcote@mail.com> had this to say:

> I have started a new job and one of my first tasks is to audit the
> work of the previous sys admin. I've never done this before so I
> need a little help. We have several different facilities with about
> 20-30 systems at each. Every system has a certificate of
> Authenticity stuck to the side. The product key used on the system
> does not match the product key on the certificate. How can I be
> certain that everything I have here is legal? There are no media
> disks that match and the more I dig up the more confused I become. Also,
> every system was supposed to be purchased with office 2000, XP
> or 2003 professional installed (Depending on when the system was
> purchased) There is no media for any of this either so the
> certificate of authenticity has vanished. Most of it I'm sure is
> legal but I need to double check. Please help. Where do I go from
> here?

www.monster.com

Really though... It's not going to be fun... First thing you probably want
to do is start looking into records. Find out where the systems came from -
they should have your info on file. Using something like Belarc or one of
the many key finders (I didn't say this was going to be easy or quick but at
least you won't be bored) available online check your key against the one
given. Did, at any point, your company ever opt for VL keys instead? Before
you do this, I hate to say it but at least assume legalicy for now, go find
the installation media... If you can't find it then let your supervisor know
ASAP. Then they can resolve it via what ever means are required. Your OEM
may indeed have copies of the original keys or may have used their VL key to
do the installs meaning that the key might not match the COA on the case.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

jr

Thanks for the help Galen.
I've been using Belarc to find the keys that are being used on the system.
I think I have the OS problem taken care of. I 100% sure that every system
at this facility has the proper licencing for the operating system. I found
an article on the microsoft site that helped me with the Microsoft Office
problem I'm having. I can only find 3 sets of media of Office. I've found
the proof of purchase for the each of the other sets of disks but without
the certificate of authenticity I can not validate whether the installed
program is legal or not. These disks may have been stolen by some employees
but I can not be certain if that is the case of if they were just lost. I
think our insurance company may be able to help us out with the cost of
getting these systems legal.

m0rk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005

"jr" <jrcote@mail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the help Galen.
> I've been using Belarc to find the keys that are being used on the system.
> I think I have the OS problem taken care of. I 100% sure that every
> system at this facility has the proper licencing for the operating system.
> I found an article on the microsoft site that helped me with the Microsoft
> Office problem I'm having. I can only find 3 sets of media of Office.
> I've found the proof of purchase for the each of the other sets of disks
> but without the certificate of authenticity I can not validate whether the
> installed program is legal or not. These disks may have been stolen by
> some employees but I can not be certain if that is the case of if they
> were just lost. I think our insurance company may be able to help us out
> with the cost of getting these systems legal.

First thing to check is if these systems / the company have Volume licensing
..... if I were sorting licenses out for that many systems it wouldnt be
using the oem stickers or retail boxed sets of office.

You would purchase a volume license for X number of systems and receive a
single key. You would buy a single media pack or if you wanted to keep
multiple packs at different locations then maybe a few.

But on top of this id have setup RIS or some form of ghosting images, etc
and maybe group policy installs of office, etc.

Check with your suppliers and find out if your company has volume licensing
with Microsoft. go back to the accounts dept and track invoices ... they may
tag them with an IT resource code that makes it easy to get at all of them
..... or not!.