Watch and record TV shows on PC?

insan3

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Hey,
I have a satellite receiver (dish network) in a different room than my computer is in. Is there any possible way of watching the satellite on my computer? Any cables or anything?
Thanks, any help will be appreciated.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Well, your Sat. plugs into the TV with coax, right? So you just need a TV tuner card in the PC, and a long enough coax to reach the computer.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
As SciFiMan said, get a TV tuner card (Haupage are good ones) and get the coaxial cable to the computer, set it to channel 3 and you are ready to go :D

SpeedGeek

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
Personally, I wouldn't get a TV Tuner card.. Why go back to Analog and tuners when every great 3D Card these days has a VIVO (Video in Video out) version. You can hook up your DIGITAL cable / sat box to it through an S-Video connector, and just put the cable box next (or under) your monitor.
You can use Windows XP Media center edition to control it, view and record, or you can buy a simple program like WinDVR - http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVR_Profile.jsp

That will just show you what the video card is getting.

I've been doing it for years now... works like a charm.

This way you can keep working on your PC, and just have a little window on the corner with TV on it!

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Never knew about that! Something new to learn everyday :D
So I just connect the receiver to my videocard with an S-video cable, download that WinDVR and start watching tv on the pc right?

Thats pretty easy!

insan3

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Wow, thanks for the quick responses.
Now i only have one more question. I looked up those coaxial cables on Newegg, and I noticed that they had audio and video ones. Do i need to buy both? Also, do all those Tuner cards have places to plug in that cable?
Thanks