SCSI Host Adapter Driver Won't Load - Event ID 10

Running W2K SP4 system with two SCSI CD-ROMs and an AdvanSys AB-940 UW
SCSI host adapter. Everything is plugged in properly (there's power to
the CD drives) and terminated properly along the SCSI chain, but the the
CD drives don't show up in Windows Explorer and they won't play CDs.
Device manager shows the SCSI Host Adapter driver as not working
properly/not installed. I've tried reinstalling the correct driver
(asc3550.sys) multiple times to no avail, even though it shows up
correctly in the Windows NT system driver files. Event ID Error 10
keeps showing up. Anyone have any suggestions?
1 answer Last reply
More about scsi host adapter driver load event

    The device cannot start. (Code 10)
    Try updating the device drivers for this device.

    This error message is one of the most commonly encountered error messages.
    The most common cause of this error message is a bad or incompatible device
    driver.

    If the error message occurs because of a bad device driver, it is generally
    because a specific subdriver in the driver stack does not succeed
    IRP_MN_START_DEVICE. It can be difficult to determine which driver in the
    stack is at fault. This behavior can occur if a driver in the driver stack
    is corrupted or invalid for this device. When a device is enumerated, the
    descriptor contained in its configuration memory space is capable of
    defining a list of compatible devices that work if a specific device driver
    for this device is unavailable. If Windows 2000 loads the compatible device
    driver but cannot adequately drive the device, the error message may be
    displayed. In this case, a prompt for a device driver is not displayed.
    Check with the manufacturer of this device for a digitally signed Windows
    2000 specific device driver for the device. Run the Update Driver wizard
    using the Update Driver button, but do not let Windows 2000 automatically
    detect devices. Instead, click Have Disk when prompted, and manually point
    the wizard to the appropriate driver.
    This error code may be displayed if the device attempts to use one of
    Windows 2000's class drivers but that class driver cannot drive the device.
    You may encounter this behavior if you are prompted for a device driver but
    none was available, so you skipped the installation. You can resolve this
    problem using the same method described in the bulleted item above.
    Try another device to verify that the hardware is not bad.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "TMitchell" wrote:
    | Running W2K SP4 system with two SCSI CD-ROMs and an AdvanSys AB-940 UW
    | SCSI host adapter. Everything is plugged in properly (there's power to
    | the CD drives) and terminated properly along the SCSI chain, but the the
    | CD drives don't show up in Windows Explorer and they won't play CDs.
    | Device manager shows the SCSI Host Adapter driver as not working
    | properly/not installed. I've tried reinstalling the correct driver
    | (asc3550.sys) multiple times to no avail, even though it shows up
    | correctly in the Windows NT system driver files. Event ID Error 10
    | keeps showing up. Anyone have any suggestions?

SCSI CD-Rom Windows