Cd tray opens for no reason

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 28, 2005 1:05:05 PM

I have windows 2000 pro
My CD tray opens for no apperent reason at various times thru out the day.
Some times it opens as soon as the computer boots up in the AM. Other days
it opens only whan i want it to. It even opens in the middle of a backup
being made to the cd burner. This causes a bit of grief, cause then the
backup program quits & i have to start it iover again.
I have done recent spyware & antivirus scans. and find nothing unusual.
Any one with idea's what causes this?

--
Thanks for your help

More about : tray opens reason

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:48:31 PM

Loose wiring?

Andrew
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:55:47 PM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:05:05 -0700, "Mike Killoran"
<MikeKilloran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have windows 2000 pro
>My CD tray opens for no apperent reason at various times thru out the day.
>Some times it opens as soon as the computer boots up in the AM. Other days
>it opens only whan i want it to. It even opens in the middle of a backup
>being made to the cd burner. This causes a bit of grief, cause then the
>backup program quits & i have to start it iover again.
>I have done recent spyware & antivirus scans. and find nothing unusual.
>Any one with idea's what causes this?

Check the obvious one first.

Is the drive shared?
If so, unshare it and then punch the person who has been yanking your
chain by opening it remotely.
July 29, 2005 7:55:48 PM

Check the obvious one first.

Is the drive shared?
If so, unshare it and then punch the person who has been yanking your
chain by opening it remotely.

The drive is shared by 2 others, but most of the time no one else is on the
network.
I doubt that the other users know how to network to my computer anyhow.?
Must be a ghost.

Thanks
Mike

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:32:33 AM

Yes a broken CD Player. Get a new one. Mine in a different machine does the same thing.

--
George Hester

!