Cd tray opens for no reason

I have windows 2000 pro
My CD tray opens for no apperent reason at various times thru out the day.
Some times it opens as soon as the computer boots up in the AM. Other days
it opens only whan i want it to. It even opens in the middle of a backup
being made to the cd burner. This causes a bit of grief, cause then the
backup program quits & i have to start it iover again.
I have done recent spyware & antivirus scans. and find nothing unusual.
Any one with idea's what causes this?

--
Thanks for your help
4 answers Last reply

    Loose wiring?

    Andrew

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:05:05 -0700, "Mike Killoran"
    <MikeKilloran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have windows 2000 pro
    >My CD tray opens for no apperent reason at various times thru out the day.
    >Some times it opens as soon as the computer boots up in the AM. Other days
    >it opens only whan i want it to. It even opens in the middle of a backup
    >being made to the cd burner. This causes a bit of grief, cause then the
    >backup program quits & i have to start it iover again.
    >I have done recent spyware & antivirus scans. and find nothing unusual.
    >Any one with idea's what causes this?

    Check the obvious one first.

    Is the drive shared?
    If so, unshare it and then punch the person who has been yanking your
    chain by opening it remotely.

    Check the obvious one first.

    Is the drive shared?
    If so, unshare it and then punch the person who has been yanking your
    chain by opening it remotely.

    The drive is shared by 2 others, but most of the time no one else is on the
    network.
    I doubt that the other users know how to network to my computer anyhow.?
    Must be a ghost.

    Thanks
    Mike

    Yes a broken CD Player. Get a new one. Mine in a different machine does the same thing.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Mike Killoran" <MikeKilloran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF2C3898-09F5-4A08-B205-BB27D1715241@microsoft.com...
    > I have windows 2000 pro
    > My CD tray opens for no apperent reason at various times thru out the day.
    > Some times it opens as soon as the computer boots up in the AM. Other days
    > it opens only whan i want it to. It even opens in the middle of a backup
    > being made to the cd burner. This causes a bit of grief, cause then the
    > backup program quits & i have to start it iover again.
    > I have done recent spyware & antivirus scans. and find nothing unusual.
    > Any one with idea's what causes this?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks for your help

CD-Rom Windows