Upgrading to Directx 9.0c

Hi,
I have Windows XP Professional SP 2 on my PC, it comes with Directx
9.0b. I need to upgrade to Directx 9.0c so that I can install 3ds max 7
which needs the later version. But when I try to upgrade using
directx_9c_redist.exe downloaded from the MS site, no luck. I also
tried the online upgrade, same story. When I check the directx
diagnostic dialog, the version remains 9.0b.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Any help would be much appreciated.

And you forgot "details" - what happens when you try to install - if you do
a "start" "run" and type in "dxdiag" and hit <enter> what does it say under
"DirectX Version" on the 1st tab named "system". In your Windows directory,
what does the "directx.log" say, does it show any trouble or errors?

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!