Power Supply Dying Slowly?

happykesh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
So my computer just randomly shuts off the other day. I start it back on and i get nothing on the screen. Sometimes it would load bios and then the screen would go off (not power). so i keep on restarting and switching the power on/off in the back. Sometimes it would start the computer then 30 seconds later it would shut off.

I took the power supply to best buy to get it checked via multimeter. the guy said the voltages were reading ok and i explained to him the situation and he said it was a faulty motherboard.

I open up my A+ book and look at the power supplies section and it says that a dying power supply is intermittent. Im thinking to my self that the motherboard is fine cause the light are all on. i reset cmos and nothin happens. Few hours later i try it again and wallla my computer it working perfectly. So now i am really confused. I have no overheating problems whatsoever.

Is my power supply dying or my motherboad.

Thanks for the help.

happykesh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
heres my spec:

DFI LanParty Ut nf3 250 gb socket 754
AMD 64 3400
Corsair XMS 1.5gb
80 gb Maxtor HD (IDE)
ATI All In Wonder x800 xt
Nec DVD/Cd RW Combo
Samsung CD/DVD player
4 case fans
ibest 600w power supply
creative Audigy z
Windows xp sp 2

happykesh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Well over the past 2 years it turned off by itself after 12ish hours(really random times not always) of being on. I always thought it had something to do with the PSu cause i only paid 50 bucks for it :/ . other thing i noticed which was weird is when i was trying to restart after the incident i accidently banged the table and the computer shut off so, thats all i can think off.

happykesh

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Will do. Thanks allot for the help mpilchfamily. I gana buy the PSU u recommended and see how it turns out.

Thanks again