E6300 Engineering Sample w/ Unlocked Multi & 4mb Cache

dallasreed

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I've been a long time reader and have finally came across something intriguing enough to post.

Recently, I acquired an E6300 engineering sample and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this particular processor that I don't already know.

I would take a picture of the CPU but I've already put on the HSF and do not want to bother with reapplying it, however here are the markings on the IHS I wrote down before I did some googling:

INTEL CONFIDENTIAL
QHEF ES A4
80557PH0364M

There were a few more numbers on a line after the 8** line that I did not write down, if they are particularly revealing I will take the HSF off.

In general and from what I understand that the ES obviously means engineering sample and A4 is most likely the stepping. I also under the impression that A4 is equivalent to B0 stepping and has an unlocked multiplier. I have not checked if it indeed has an unlocked multiplier as I have never encountered a processor that has one nor do I know for sure how to check. If anyone would care to enlighten me it would be appreciated.

From the next line I have figured the 3 means it is a E6300 (which I already knew). The most perplexing bit is the 4M, which I take means a 4 meg cache which is most certainly not a feature of the E6300.

So, this processor seems to have the best of both worlds when it comes to engineering samples. This all seams rather unbelievable to me, and my first assumption is for any readers to think that my post is falsified, but I assure you it is not. My technically inclined friends are in shock and awe at this processor as am I.

Bringing things to the present I borrowed some memory to complete my Core2 system in-the-works so that I could bench and CPU-Z this processor, the CPU-Z results confirmed most of my suspicions, however I am curious as to why this processor would have all 4MB unlocked, and be marked Conroe as opposed to Allendale (I thought CPU-Z always said Allendale for E6300s). My only guess is it is a universal Conroe able to be changed by multiplier to any processor in the Conroe family. This would also semi-explain why it shows up as a Pentium D in the BIOS/CPU-Z as the identifying data in the processor would be absent (this is my speculation). I am also wondering why the stepping is reported as what you see.

I also ran Super Pi Mod as you can see. The memory may have had a negative bearing on the score, though I am not sure. I mainly ran this so someone could tell me if the scores check out for a E6300 running at stock.

The memory I borrowed is pretty cheap stuff (Kingston DDR2 533) so I won't be overclocking this system yet. I have some G.Skill DDR2 800 CL4 on the way and will be juicing the system with it. If anyone would like to give me some pointers that would be great. My motherboard is a GA-965P-DS3 Rev 1.0 with Bios F9.

e6300es.jpg

dallasreed

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I've encountered a few more points of curiosity since my initial post and forgot to mention a couple of things.

I installed Windows XP Pro to a WD2000JS SATA hard drive. First thing when I got to a desktop I ran Super Pi. The window came up fine and I started 1M. Then I opened CPU-Z 1.38 and the system crashed, or more so restarted. After the first restart I again ran Super Pi and all seemed well. CPU-Z however again caused a restart. I then acquired CPU-Z 1.37 and it worked. I closed it and tried 1.38 and it also worked, I then ran Super Pi and took the screen shot.

I had not installed any drivers. SMBus, LAN, Audio, and something else I cannot remember were marked yellow in the device manager.

On another tangent the BIOS as well as Diodes I have mounted measure temperatures of:
CPU 33c
SYS 41c
SYS Ambient 25c
Northbridge Diode 38c

Voltages are OK.

My first assumption was that it was the memory causing problems, so I ran memtest which I let run for 1 pass. I pretty much figured that it was okay. I decided then to run a stress test so I got back to the windows desktop and installed a trial version of Everest. When I loaded Everest for the first time out of curiosity I ran its CPUID, which again caused the system to reset. By this time it hit me that I may be having BSODs, and my Windows install may by default reset instantly instead of showing the error message. Upon this restart I could not get into windows and received a message pertaining to pci.sys being corrupt and to repair it with the CD.

Why would I be experiencing these problems?

I probably should get around to listing current system specs:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 1.0 Bios F9
E6300 ES
1x1GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR2 533 CL4 (have 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2 800 CL4 on the way)
Hiper R Series 580W
S3 Virge PCI (I also have an X800XL I could use from the system I am typing this on)
4xLite-On 20x DVD Burners (2 on Motherboards IDE Controller, 2 on Promise Ultra100 PCI Controller Card)
1x Western Digital WD2000JS (I have another one on the way which I plan to use in RAID0)
Floppy Drive
Aerocool Coolpanel 2
XClio A380 Case, 2 12" UV Cathodes

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
A4 is not the stepping....look on the cpu's diesink....thats your stepping.

I've heard the right combination of mobo's and allendales give you unlocking results...but never the cache. possible it was a failed E6600. I didnt really look @ your screenies.

May I inquire how you came across this chip??

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I’m afraid you didn’t supply enough information to research the product you’ve acquired.
You’ll have to send it to me for further analysis. :wink: