sailormonz

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Hello everyone i need tips on painting a translucent coat on a brushed metal surface so that the metel brush shows through but it makes the metal a colored tint (translucent paint). I want to paint my firebird lighter red and have the firebird logo show through the paint and also in the future paint a brushed aluminum case such as one of lian-li's.

I need a recommendation for paint and if its a good idea or not. Thanks!

camifex

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Well it just so happens i have painted cars for the last 15 years.
Lucky you.

For best results its better to take your case into a paint shop, you wont have the trouble of hiring or borrowing compressors and spayguns etc plus they will have a dust free baking oven.

If your going to try it;
- first your going to need the kit (compressor, spraygun etc)

prep is the most important you need the paint to stick to the case i would use a scouring pad to lightly scuff up you case being careful not to damage decals ( light scratch markes wont be visable after the top coa)t.

Use a 2 pak clear coat ( this requires a hardner) this is were your options come in you said red, i suggest a red pearl color which you can add to the clearcoat. Dulux make a powder were as other companies make a liquid form like Glasiut (who in my opinion are the best).

Have fun painting

sailormonz

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
lol guys you are confused, i'm trying to paint a LIGHTER. (something you use to light cigarettes and cigars) to experiment with painting brushed metal so that I can paint a Lian-Li case later. Thanks for the replies though. The model is firebird the company is colibri.