Neopets and odd computer behavior - neovirus?

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Spyware
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
September 21, 2005 11:00:17 AM

Lately whenever I play Neopets my computer starts acting wonky
afterwards. I vist very few other websites, and I always run
Trend-Micro pc-cillin, Spyware Doctor, Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard,
Microsoft Anti-spyware as well as firewalls all at the same time,
wherever I go.

Lately when I start up my computer it asks me to insert my XP install
disk, since something has changed that it needs to grab from the CD to
reinstall. Also, I am finding many more instances of spyware
infections on scanning my computer.

Should I associate this with Neopets? Ha anyone else experienced these
problems or anything similar lately?

More about : neopets odd computer behavior neovirus

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 5:50:11 PM

"Misha Aisha" <usenet@emailer.router5.com> wrote in message
> Lately whenever I play Neopets my computer starts acting wonky
> afterwards. I vist very few other websites, and I always run
> Trend-Micro pc-cillin, Spyware Doctor, Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard,
> Microsoft Anti-spyware as well as firewalls all at the same time,
> wherever I go.
>
> Lately when I start up my computer it asks me to insert my XP install
> disk, since something has changed that it needs to grab from the CD to
> reinstall. Also, I am finding many more instances of spyware
> infections on scanning my computer.
>
> Should I associate this with Neopets? Ha anyone else experienced these
> problems or anything similar lately?

I don't have problems (at least not from Neo) like this any more. But the
XP thing makes me wonder if you have a corrupted XP file. My darling
reinstalled XP over XP without taking it apart (reformatting it) as an
experament (sp?) and it has solved that problem without having to find all
the 'extra' files like favourites. Mind you I don't know how he did this,
just that it worked.

Sometimes when the power goes out (here we call them 'blinks' because it is
soo short, but the computer and clocks all know it happened) or a lightning
strike near you can screw up the computer, depending on what it was doing.

Have you tried a disc defragment? Or had one get interupted?

And Les's Idea about the proccess of elimination to find out who is
installing the spyware you are receiving is great!

daramark
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 8:25:51 PM

Misha Aisha wrote:
> Lately whenever I play Neopets my computer starts acting wonky
> afterwards. I vist very few other websites, and I always run
> Trend-Micro pc-cillin, Spyware Doctor, Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard,
> Microsoft Anti-spyware as well as firewalls all at the same time,
> wherever I go.
>
> Lately when I start up my computer it asks me to insert my XP install
> disk, since something has changed that it needs to grab from the CD to
> reinstall. Also, I am finding many more instances of spyware
> infections on scanning my computer.
>
> Should I associate this with Neopets? Ha anyone else experienced these
> problems or anything similar lately?

no, none at all. Now, I am never leaving neopets neither..... but even
after a pc restart I have no messages. I run Ad-Aware, AVG and
Zone-Alarm. At work I am also Neopetting but there I have no idea what
virusscanner they use. And as far as I am aware there is no firewall.
There is a proxy and a tunnelproxy..........

Henny
Related resources
September 21, 2005 9:21:41 PM

Misha Aisha [usenet@emailer.router5.com] said
> Lately whenever I play Neopets my computer starts acting wonky
> afterwards.

Wonky? Is that a technical term? :-)

Seriously though, what actually happens?

> I vist very few other websites, and I always run
> Trend-Micro pc-cillin, Spyware Doctor, Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard,
> Microsoft Anti-spyware as well as firewalls all at the same time,
> wherever I go.

That is an awful lot of software.

> Lately when I start up my computer it asks me to insert my XP install
> disk, since something has changed that it needs to grab from the CD to
> reinstall.

What does it want to install?

> Also, I am finding many more instances of spyware
> infections on scanning my computer.

What spyware are you finding?

And a good trick for figuring out where spyware is coming from is to
clear your computer of all spyware and then visit just a single site
before checking again. Repeat until the culprit is found.

> Should I associate this with Neopets? Ha anyone else experienced these
> problems or anything similar lately?

Unfortunately you don't give any information that could allow anyone to
suggest what is wrong but your computer but I would say that the odds of
it having anything to do with Neopets is nill or less.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 9:21:42 PM

"Les" <les789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What spyware are you finding?
>
> And a good trick for figuring out where spyware is coming from is to
> clear your computer of all spyware and then visit just a single site
> before checking again. Repeat until the culprit is found.

Neat! And I would never have thought of it myself because it is an obvious
solution to figuring out the problem site. I like it!

daramark
!