Reboot Loop

I have a machine running 2000 Pro that is in a continuous reboot loop. It
will boot to the desktop and then start all over again. I have tried Safe
Mode to no avail. Also tried Last Known Good with no luck. Could this be a
corrupt driver? Would it be possible at this point to upgrade to XP Pro
without losing everything?

Thanks, R

It can be a corrupt driver, a hardware problem, a Windows update that
doesn't work well with your system, a damaged system or registry file,
or virus or malware. In short, it can be almost anything bad.

If you have another user defined on that system, you should try logging in
as that user to see if it is a user profile problem. This isn't likely, but it is
easy to try.

Your best bet in general is to boot from the Windows CD and do an
in-place upgrade/repair. If that doesn't help, then you have to try installing
a parallel copy of Windows into another directory to see if the system will
boot at all (in your situation a hardware problem isn't too likely).

If so, you can take a look at the registry and event logs in the other
Windows folder to get some idea of what is going on, and run a malware
scan.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"rkluchy" <rkluchy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72AF17C0-D06D-46EC-96DA-891A70672562@microsoft.com...
>I have a machine running 2000 Pro that is in a continuous reboot loop. It
> will boot to the desktop and then start all over again. I have tried Safe
> Mode to no avail. Also tried Last Known Good with no luck. Could this be a
> corrupt driver? Would it be possible at this point to upgrade to XP Pro
> without losing everything?
>
> Thanks, R

Hi,
Perform a parallel installation of Windows 2000 pro or Windows xp pro. Boot
to the parallel installation. Open regedt32. Highlight hkey_local_machine and
click on registry->load hive.go to the original installation and load
c:\winnt\system32\config\system(assuming your original installation is in
c:\winnt). Name it as test. Go to test\selcet and see the value of current.
Assuming it to be 1, go to test\controlset001\control\crashcontrol and set
autoreboot to 0. Now click on test and unload the test hive. Reboot into
normal mode and see what blue screen are you getting.

It might be a corrupt driver, a corrupt system file or a corrupt driver set
to boot or system. In case it is a driver issue, even after upgrading the
windows 2000 pro to windows xp pro, you might face the same proble. Please
let me know which blue screen are you getting.

Lukesh

"rkluchy" wrote:

> I have a machine running 2000 Pro that is in a continuous reboot loop. It
> will boot to the desktop and then start all over again. I have tried Safe
> Mode to no avail. Also tried Last Known Good with no luck. Could this be a
> corrupt driver? Would it be possible at this point to upgrade to XP Pro
> without losing everything?
>
> Thanks, R

TRENDING THREADS