Win2K Server as BDC?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 29, 2005 5:12:02 PM

If I have a WinNT PDC, can I install a Win2K Server as a BDC?

Thanks!
Randy

More about : win2k server bdc

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:48:44 PM

No.

In a mixed-mode NT/2000 network, you have active directory running and the
only NT domain controllers permitted are BDCs. The first Win2K DC assumes
the PDC emulator role.

Once all of your NT DCs are upgraded to Win2K there is no PDC/BDC
distinction, and you should then raise the domain funcational level to
Windows 2000 native mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=2198107

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"RandyNChicago" <RandyNChicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I have a WinNT PDC, can I install a Win2K Server as a BDC?
>
> Thanks!
> Randy

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:54:03 PM

The Knowledge Base (KB) Article You Requested Is Currently Not Available

| Windows 2000 native mode.
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/?id=2198107
|
| Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
| Ergodic Systems, Inc.
|
| "RandyNChicago" <RandyNChicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > If I have a WinNT PDC, can I install a Win2K Server as a BDC?
| >
| > Thanks!
| > Randy

July 29, 2005 10:54:04 PM

Sorry - my funblefingers.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298107

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid> wrote in message news:o dtO6jJlFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> The Knowledge Base (KB) Article You Requested Is Currently Not Available
>

> | Windows 2000 native mode.
> |
> | http://support.microsoft.com/?id=2198107
> |
> | Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> | Ergodic Systems, Inc.
> |
> | "RandyNChicago" <RandyNChicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > If I have a WinNT PDC, can I install a Win2K Server as a BDC?
> | >
> | > Thanks!
> | > Randy

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 9:11:35 AM

That terminology is no longer applicable to Windows 2000.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"RandyNChicago" <RandyNChicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C59B754-C3AB-46A3-97E4-6C55E667D6A5@microsoft.com...
> If I have a WinNT PDC, can I install a Win2K Server as a BDC?
>
> Thanks!
> Randy

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:51:54 AM

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in news:eVEzc$alFHA.2852
@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> That terminology is no longer applicable to Windows 2000.

Not totally true.

It is true that Win2kserver running in its native mode as a Domain
Controller will use Active Directory, which does not use the PDC and BDC
terminology in the same way as WinNT4server did (although one of the DCs
still acts something like a "primary" controller).

However, Win2kserver can join an existing WinNT4 domain, and can act as a
BDC. It will "pretend" to be an NT4 server (and can later be switched to
its native mode if all of the NT4 servers are removed from the domain).
This is one (not necessarily the best) way of transferring accounts from
an NT4 domain during a transition to an AD domain.

Win2kserver can also join an NT4 domain as a "member server", where it
does not do login authentication, but can provide services such as
file/print services. If you want to stay with an NT4 type of domain, but
want to update some of your services, this may be an option.

Are you trying to update your existing NT4 domain and move to AD? I
would strongly recommend Server 2003 over Server 2000. I would also
recommend studying up on the process very well before actually doing it,
as you may find it difficult to backtrack if you make the wrong choices
along the way.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:58:12 AM

I do not want to upppgrade anyyyy servers. I just wantttt to add a Win2K
server to an existing NT Domain as a BDC.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

"Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:

> No.
>
> In a mixed-mode NT/2000 network, you have active directory running and the
> only NT domain controllers permitted are BDCs. The first Win2K DC assumes
> the PDC emulator role.
>
> Once all of your NT DCs are upgraded to Win2K there is no PDC/BDC
> distinction, and you should then raise the domain funcational level to
> Windows 2000 native mode.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=2198107
>
> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
>
> "RandyNChicago" <RandyNChicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I have a WinNT PDC, can I install a Win2K Server as a BDC?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Randy

August 2, 2005 12:24:21 AM

nospam.please@this.place wrote:

> It is true that Win2kserver running in its native mode
> as a Domain Controller will use Active Directory, which
> does not use the PDC and BDC terminology in the same way
> as WinNT4server did (although one of the DCs
> still acts something like a "primary" controller).

When running in 'mixed' mode Win2K DC also 'uses Active
Directory'.

> However, Win2kserver can join an existing WinNT4 domain,
> and can act as a BDC. It will "pretend" to be an NT4 server
> (and can later be switched to its native mode if all of the
> NT4 servers are removed from the domain).

This is wrong. A Win2k server cannot act as any sort of
Domain Controller, PDC or BDC, in a WinNT4 Domain. 'Native
mode' and 'mixed mode' refer to the whole Domain and do not
apply to NT4 Domains.

> Are you trying to update your existing NT4 domain and
> move to AD? I would strongly recommend Server 2003 over
> Server 2000. I would also recommend studying up on the
> process very well before actually doing it, as you may
> find it difficult to backtrack if you make the wrong choices
> along the way.

I would ensure that you know the process well yourself
before you give people advice similar to the above, which is
incorrect.

Cheers,

Cliff

August 2, 2005 12:24:22 AM

Enkidu <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in news:42eddc42$1
@news2.actrix.gen.nz:

> nospam.please@this.place wrote:
>>
>> It is true that Win2kserver running in its native mode
> > as a Domain Controller will use Active Directory, which
> > does not use the PDC and BDC terminology in the same way
> > as WinNT4server did (although one of the DCs
>> still acts something like a "primary" controller).
>>
> When running in 'mixed' mode Win2K DC also 'uses Active
> Directory'.

I should not have used the words "native mode", as they can be confused
with a specific term "Native Mode" that refers to something that I did not
intend here. I was not trying to imply that "Mixed Mode" (which I did not
mention) does not "use AD". I was just agreeing that the terms PDC and BDC
are no longer used in an AD domain.

>> However, Win2kserver can join an existing WinNT4 domain,
> > and can act as a BDC. It will "pretend" to be an NT4 server
> > (and can later be switched to its native mode if all of the
> > NT4 servers are removed from the domain).
> >
> This is wrong. A Win2k server cannot act as any sort of
> Domain Controller, PDC or BDC, in a WinNT4 Domain. 'Native
> mode' and 'mixed mode' refer to the whole Domain and do not
> apply to NT4 Domains.

I had better go tell the two that I have doing this that they cannot do it
anymore, then. They may not be called BDCs (although in things like Server
Manager this is what they show up as), but as far as I can tell they
perform all the tasks that the NT4 BDC that they replaced did. Of course,
so does a Linux box that I have running SAMBA (but I'm probably not allowed
to mention that here).

Again, I should not have mentioned switching "native mode", even though I
did mean the mode that is opposed to "mixed mode" - it was just an aside
that was mostly irrelevant, as it applies to an AD domain.

I had better say here that I am not running this sort of setup as a
production type of domain. I only am saying that it is possible. In the
part that you trimmed out, I mentioned that doing this may not be the best
way to do things. "May" was probably too weak of a word here. The
recommended way of migrating is to upgrade the PDC to 2000 first - of
course, the domain then is no longer an NT4 domain, and none of this
discussion applies.

>> Are you trying to update your existing NT4 domain and
> > move to AD? I would strongly recommend Server 2003 over
> > Server 2000. I would also recommend studying up on the
> > process very well before actually doing it, as you may
> > find it difficult to backtrack if you make the wrong choices
>> along the way.
> >
> I would ensure that you know the process well yourself
> before you give people advice similar to the above, which is
> incorrect.

I did not say that I knew the process well - which is perhaps why I gave
the advice that I did.

You seem to agree with part of the advice that I gave, which was to know
what you are doing first.
I suspect that you might also agree with the rest of the advice that I
gave, which was to use 2003 over 2000. I've only ever set up a brand new
domain using 2003, so maybe it wouldn't be the best choice for a migration
for some reason?

> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:24:23 AM

Thanks guys - I am still back where I started. One person tells me yes and
the other tells me no.

So again,

I do not want to upgrade any servers. I just want to add a Win2K
server to an existing NT Domain as a BDC. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!
Randy

> [...]

> > > move to AD? I would strongly recommend Server 2003 over
> > > Server 2000. I would also recommend studying up on the
> > > process very well before actually doing it, as you may
> > > find it difficult to backtrack if you make the wrong choices
> >> along the way.
> > >
> > I would ensure that you know the process well yourself
> > before you give people advice similar to the above, which is
> > incorrect.
> >

> I did not say that I knew the process well - which is perhaps why I gave
> the advice that I did.
>
> You seem to agree with part of the advice that I gave, which was to know
> what you are doing first.
> I suspect that you might also agree with the rest of the advice that I
> gave, which was to use 2003 over 2000. I've only ever set up a brand new
> domain using 2003, so maybe it wouldn't be the best choice for a migration

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:15:21 AM

Very good response nospam. Excellent actually. Mixed mode and Native mode refers to whether all clients are Windows 2000 or not. I do not know if you can have Windows XP in a Native Mode PDC but I really wouldn't try it. Just so you know Windows XP Pofessional appears in a Mixed mode PDC as Windows Professional. All Windows 2000 clients appear correctly by name:

Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Professional

Now I do not know what it is about Windows 2003 that you think is so much better than Wiundows 2000. I have the darn thing but really until I know what is has that means anything to me that makes it better it's just an extra disk I have laying around. Have they fixed the Networking issues such as Network drives? I doubt it. The rule is make more fluff to bluff the customer. When Microsoft changes this attitude then maybe I'll look more into their products.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
<nospam.please@this.place> wrote in message news:Xns96A578BED97B2nspuac@24.70.95.211...
> [...]
> > > move to AD? I would strongly recommend Server 2003 over
> > > Server 2000. I would also recommend studying up on the
> > > process very well before actually doing it, as you may
> > > find it difficult to backtrack if you make the wrong choices
> >> along the way.
> > >
> > I would ensure that you know the process well yourself
> > before you give people advice similar to the above, which is
> > incorrect.
> >

> I did not say that I knew the process well - which is perhaps why I gave
> the advice that I did.
>
> You seem to agree with part of the advice that I gave, which was to know
> what you are doing first.
> I suspect that you might also agree with the rest of the advice that I
> gave, which was to use 2003 over 2000. I've only ever set up a brand new
> domain using 2003, so maybe it wouldn't be the best choice for a migration

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:16:40 AM

Can't. You can add a Windows 2000 Server as a Member Server of the NT domain. That's it.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"RandyNChicago" <RandyNChicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82DB93C5-6029-4526-A1F4-95BCCEB10EE1@microsoft.com...
> I do not want to upppgrade anyyyy servers. I just wantttt to add a Win2K
> server to an existing NT Domain as a BDC.
>
> Thanks for the help!!!!!
>
> "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > No.
> >
> > In a mixed-mode NT/2000 network, you have active directory running and the
> > only NT domain controllers permitted are BDCs. The first Win2K DC assumes
> > the PDC emulator role.
> >
> > Once all of your NT DCs are upgraded to Win2K there is no PDC/BDC
> > distinction, and you should then raise the domain funcational level to
> > Windows 2000 native mode.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=2198107
> >
> > Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> > Ergodic Systems, Inc.
> >
> > "RandyNChicago" <RandyNChicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > If I have a WinNT PDC, can I install a Win2K Server as a BDC?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Randy

August 2, 2005 1:06:45 PM

Believe the person who says no. He knows what he is talking
about. <grin>

Cheers,

Cliff

RandyNChicago wrote:
> Thanks guys - I am still back where I started. One person tells me yes and
> the other tells me no.
>
> So again,
>
> I do not want to upgrade any servers. I just want to add a Win2K
> server to an existing NT Domain as a BDC. Anyone know if this is possible?
>
> Thanks!
> Randy
>

> "nospam.please@this.place" wrote:
>

>>Enkidu <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in news:42eddc42$1
>>@news2.actrix.gen.nz:

>>>When running in 'mixed' mode Win2K DC also 'uses Active
>>>Directory'.
>>
>>I should not have used the words "native mode", as they can be confused
>>with a specific term "Native Mode" that refers to something that I did not
>>intend here. I was not trying to imply that "Mixed Mode" (which I did not
>>mention) does not "use AD". I was just agreeing that the terms PDC and BDC
>>are no longer used in an AD domain.

>>>This is wrong. A Win2k server cannot act as any sort of
>>>Domain Controller, PDC or BDC, in a WinNT4 Domain. 'Native
>>>mode' and 'mixed mode' refer to the whole Domain and do not
>>>apply to NT4 Domains.
>>
>>I had better go tell the two that I have doing this that they cannot do it
>>anymore, then. They may not be called BDCs (although in things like Server
>>Manager this is what they show up as), but as far as I can tell they
>>perform all the tasks that the NT4 BDC that they replaced did. Of course,
>>so does a Linux box that I have running SAMBA (but I'm probably not allowed
>>to mention that here).
>>
>>Again, I should not have mentioned switching "native mode", even though I
>>did mean the mode that is opposed to "mixed mode" - it was just an aside
>>that was mostly irrelevant, as it applies to an AD domain.
>>
>>I had better say here that I am not running this sort of setup as a
>>production type of domain. I only am saying that it is possible. In the
>>part that you trimmed out, I mentioned that doing this may not be the best
>>way to do things. "May" was probably too weak of a word here. The
>>recommended way of migrating is to upgrade the PDC to 2000 first - of
>>course, the domain then is no longer an NT4 domain, and none of this
>>discussion applies.

>>>I would ensure that you know the process well yourself
>>>before you give people advice similar to the above, which is
>>>incorrect.
>>>

>>I did not say that I knew the process well - which is perhaps why I gave
>>the advice that I did.
>>
>>You seem to agree with part of the advice that I gave, which was to know
>>what you are doing first.
>>I suspect that you might also agree with the rest of the advice that I
>>gave, which was to use 2003 over 2000. I've only ever set up a brand new
>>domain using 2003, so maybe it wouldn't be the best choice for a migration
>>for some reason?
>>

>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Cliff

August 2, 2005 1:21:01 PM

nospam.please@this.place wrote:
> Enkidu <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in news:42eddc42$1
> @news2.actrix.gen.nz:
>

>>nospam.please@this.place wrote:
>>
>>>It is true that Win2kserver running in its native mode
>>>as a Domain Controller will use Active Directory, which
>>>does not use the PDC and BDC terminology in the same way
>>>as WinNT4server did (although one of the DCs
>>>still acts something like a "primary" controller).
>>>

>>When running in 'mixed' mode Win2K DC also 'uses Active
>>Directory'.
>
> I should not have used the words "native mode", as they
> can be confused with a specific term "Native Mode"
> that refers to something that I did not intend here.
> I was not trying to imply that "Mixed Mode" (which I did
> not mention) does not "use AD". I was just agreeing that
> the terms PDC and BDC are no longer used in an AD domain.

Native mode (and mixed mode) means something specific. There
is no way that you can have a Win2k box acting as BCD in a
WinNT4 Domain. There is no state of a Win2k box that can be
called 'native mode'. You are wrong.

>>>However, Win2kserver can join an existing WinNT4 domain,
>>>and can act as a BDC. It will "pretend" to be an NT4 server
>>>(and can later be switched to its native mode if all of the
>>>NT4 servers are removed from the domain).
>>>

>>This is wrong. A Win2k server cannot act as any sort of
>>Domain Controller, PDC or BDC, in a WinNT4 Domain. 'Native
>>mode' and 'mixed mode' refer to the whole Domain and do not
>>apply to NT4 Domains.
>
> I had better go tell the two that I have doing this that
> they cannot do it anymore, then. They may not be
> called BDCs (although in things like Server Manager this is
> what they show up as), but as far as I can tell they
> perform all the tasks that the NT4 BDC that they replaced
> did. Of course, so does a Linux box that I have running
> SAMBA (but I'm probably not allowed to mention that here).

I don't believe you. There is no way that you can have a
Win2K box acting as a BDC, PDC or any other sort of DC in a
Win2K Domain. When you make a Win2K machine into a DC it
installs Active Directory. Period. If you already had a
WinNT4 domain and you upgraded one of your machines to Win2k
you will have installed Active Directory and created a new
Domain. I don't know what sort of screwed up setup you have
there, but it is going to cause you problems in the future.

> Again, I should not have mentioned switching "native mode",
> even though I did mean the mode that is opposed to "mixed
> mode" - it was just an aside that was mostly irrelevant,
> as it applies to an AD domain.

If you promoted even one machine to a Win2k DC you have
Active Directory in some shape or form.

> I had better say here that I am not running this sort of
> setup as a production type of domain. I only am saying
> that it is possible. In the part that you trimmed out,
> I mentioned that doing this may not be the best
> way to do things. "May" was probably too weak of a word
> here. The recommended way of migrating is to upgrade
> the PDC to 2000 first - of course, the domain then is no
> longer an NT4 domain, and none of this discussion applies.

You cannot upgrade a BDC to a Win2k DC anyway. So this is
irrelevant. You are not running what you think you are. You
think that you are running a WinNT4 domain with at least one
Win2k servers as BDCs. That is impossible.

>>>Are you trying to update your existing NT4 domain and
>>>move to AD? I would strongly recommend Server 2003 over
>>>Server 2000. I would also recommend studying up on the
>>>process very well before actually doing it, as you may
>>>find it difficult to backtrack if you make the wrong choices
>>>along the way.
>>>

>>I would ensure that you know the process well yourself
>>before you give people advice similar to the above, which is
>>incorrect.
>
> I did not say that I knew the process well - which is
> perhaps why I gave the advice that I did.

Well, I have done several upgrades so I do know what I am
talking about. The advice you gave was wrong and could end
up with someone damaging their systems.

Cheers,

Cliff

August 2, 2005 11:38:08 PM

George Hester wrote:

> Very good response nospam. Excellent actually. Mixed mode
> and Native mode refers to whether all clients are Windows
> 2000 or not.

No, it refers to whether or not the Domain can support NT4
BDCs, or in other words, whether or not all *DCs* are
Windows 2000 DCs. You can have anything from Winn4 clients
through to XP *Pro* as clients in a Native MOde (ie no
Windows NT4 BDCs) Domain.

> I do not know if you can have Windows XP in a Native Mode
> PDC but I really wouldn't try it.

There is no such thing as a "Native Mode PDC" and XP cannot
be a DC.

Cheers,

Cliff

August 2, 2005 11:38:09 PM

OK I stand corrected. I thought I read that in Native Mode all clients and member servers must be at Windows 2000. My mistake.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Enkidu" <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in message news:42ef22ee$1@news2.actrix.gen.nz...
> George Hester wrote:
> >
> > Very good response nospam. Excellent actually. Mixed mode
> > and Native mode refers to whether all clients are Windows
> > 2000 or not.
> >
> No, it refers to whether or not the Domain can support NT4
> BDCs, or in other words, whether or not all *DCs* are
> Windows 2000 DCs. You can have anything from Winn4 clients
> through to XP *Pro* as clients in a Native MOde (ie no
> Windows NT4 BDCs) Domain.
> >
> > I do not know if you can have Windows XP in a Native Mode
> > PDC but I really wouldn't try it.
> >
> There is no such thing as a "Native Mode PDC" and XP cannot
> be a DC.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
September 6, 2005 9:17:33 PM

Why don't you just add the BDC as a NT box? Unless you have an OEM W2k
license, you should be able to downgrade your license to NT.

!