The relation between VSB and OQAM

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 10, 2004 1:20:35 PM

Hello,
Dr. A. Touzni published "Differential Carrier Loop Estimation for
Digital Vestigial Side Band Modulation" in IEEE ICASSP'02. He
represented VSB in a form like OQAM. I also found some paper mentioned
that OQAM is highly related to VSB. However, the detailed derivation
was not disclosed. Could anyone provide me some information or
reference about the relation between VSB and OQAM? Thanks.

Boris

More about : relation vsb oqam

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:46:04 AM

Boris wrote:

>Hello,
>Dr. A. Touzni published "Differential Carrier Loop Estimation for
>Digital Vestigial Side Band Modulation" in IEEE ICASSP'02. He
>represented VSB in a form like OQAM. I also found some paper mentioned
>that OQAM is highly related to VSB. However, the detailed derivation
>was not disclosed. Could anyone provide me some information or
>reference about the relation between VSB and OQAM? Thanks.
>
>Boris

You might find this link of interest:

http://www.tsp.ece.mcgill.ca/Kabal/papers/1990/Ramachan...

Are you looking at this from a mathematical perspective? Political? ;-)

Carlo (ex-SMPTE) Milono
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:46:32 AM

Boris wrote:

>Hello,
>Dr. A. Touzni published "Differential Carrier Loop Estimation for
>Digital Vestigial Side Band Modulation" in IEEE ICASSP'02. He
>represented VSB in a form like OQAM. I also found some paper mentioned
>that OQAM is highly related to VSB. However, the detailed derivation
>was not disclosed. Could anyone provide me some information or
>reference about the relation between VSB and OQAM? Thanks.
>
>Boris

You might find this link of interest:

http://www.tsp.ece.mcgill.ca/Kabal/papers/1990/Ramachan...

Are you looking at this from a mathematical perspective? Political? ;-)

Carlo (ex-SMPTE) Milono
Related resources
April 11, 2004 2:46:33 AM

Carlo Milono <cmilono@cmilono.com> wrote in message news:<4078794D.5070506@cmilono.com>...

> >Hello,
> >Dr. A. Touzni published "Differential Carrier Loop Estimation for
> >Digital Vestigial Side Band Modulation" in IEEE ICASSP'02. He
> >represented VSB in a form like OQAM. I also found some paper mentioned
> >that OQAM is highly related to VSB. However, the detailed derivation
> >was not disclosed. Could anyone provide me some information or
> >reference about the relation between VSB and OQAM? Thanks.
> >

> You might find this link of interest:
> http://www.tsp.ece.mcgill.ca/Kabal/papers/1990/Ramachan...
> Are you looking at this from a mathematical perspective? Political? ;-)

I'm looking from the mathematical perspective. Dr. A. Touzni claim the
Eq.(1) in his paper is exactly the VSB modulation. However, it looks
like OQAM more than VSB :(

I'm working on carrier recovery for 8-VSB without pilot tone. It seems
that the ideas originally designed for OQAM could be a solution.
That's why I need the mathematical derivations. The BSS (blind source
separation) is also possible, but in my simulation it fails to track
if frequency offset exists. Is there some other methods? I have to
find it before my advisor get angry :)

Boris
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:08:50 PM

In article <95ef57a7.0404102016.5e50f1c2@posting.google.com>,
bokii123@yahoo.com says...
> I'm working on carrier recovery for 8-VSB without pilot tone. It seems
> that the ideas originally designed for OQAM could be a solution.
> That's why I need the mathematical derivations. The BSS (blind source
> separation) is also possible, but in my simulation it fails to track
> if frequency offset exists. Is there some other methods? I have to
> find it before my advisor get angry :)

I was under the impression that the reason for the pilot carrier in
8-VSB was the near impossibility of solving the reciever tuning issue
with sufficient accuracy to allow signal recovery otherwise.

/Chris, AA6SQ
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 1:46:18 PM

Chris Thomas <cthomas@mminternet.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1ae26c18d8f19447989819@news.mminternet.com>...
> In article <95ef57a7.0404102016.5e50f1c2@posting.google.com>,
> bokii123@yahoo.com says...
> > I'm working on carrier recovery for 8-VSB without pilot tone. It seems
> > that the ideas originally designed for OQAM could be a solution.
> > That's why I need the mathematical derivations. The BSS (blind source
> > separation) is also possible, but in my simulation it fails to track
> > if frequency offset exists. Is there some other methods? I have to
> > find it before my advisor get angry :)
>
> I was under the impression that the reason for the pilot carrier in
> 8-VSB was the near impossibility of solving the reciever tuning issue
> with sufficient accuracy to allow signal recovery otherwise.
>
> /Chris, AA6SQ
In Omaha Hi/Lo, that's a good hand.

I'm curious why the standard can't use a code-division or some sort of
clocking mechanism to synchronise. Stop using analog transmissions to
send digital information! The squelch of modems is not cool. I want
to hear digital white-noise static. Think CDMA or 802.11a. I'm
beggining to believe the rantings of that Bob nut.
!