Need advice for a Mac user on emailing photos to Windows u..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only by
making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by Windows XP,
Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save it as a .jpg .

But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some advice
I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a Windows-friendly
way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg extension to a photo before
emailing it?

Thanks,

Jack Crane
7 answers Last reply
More about need advice user emailing photos windows
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

    Yes, they can assign an extension. This is the whole resource/data fox thing
    that Mac's have. Data fork for the data, resource fork for think like which
    kind of file it is (and the associated app/icon). And they probably should
    too.

    On 01/28/2005 5:51 AM, in article
    Xns95EC3B8608818jdcrane7yahoocom@207.46.248.16, "Jack Crane"

    --
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

    "Jack Crane" <jdcrane7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
    > showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only by
    > making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by Windows
    XP,
    > Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save it as a .jpg .
    >
    > But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some
    advice
    > I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a
    Windows-friendly
    > way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg extension to a photo before
    > emailing it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack Crane

    For future pictures, have your friend save them as either a gif or jpeg.
    These are universal formats which are usable on almost all machines. I know
    there is a way to do it as I also have a Mac using friend who sent me
    pictures in both formats; they opened without me having to do the hoop jumps
    you did.

    Malv
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

    On 28/1/05 4:03 pm, in article BE1FA23E.9553%matt@mattbeals.com, "Matt
    Beals" <matt@mattbeals.com> wrote:

    > Yes, they can assign an extension. This is the whole resource/data fox thing
    > that Mac's have. Data fork for the data, resource fork for think like which
    > kind of file it is (and the associated app/icon). And they probably should
    > too.
    >
    > On 01/28/2005 5:51 AM, in article
    > Xns95EC3B8608818jdcrane7yahoocom@207.46.248.16, "Jack Crane"
    > <jdcrane7@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
    >> showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only by
    >> making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by Windows XP,
    >> Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save it as a .jpg .
    >>
    >> But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some advice
    >> I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a Windows-friendly
    >> way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg extension to a photo before
    >> emailing it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jack Crane

    In addition to using the correct extension, if their email application
    supports it they should select "Send in Windows-Friendly Format".

    I run Apple Mail v.1.2.5 under OSX 10.2.8 - which doesn't, but fortunately I
    have Entourage X where I can select (under Attachments):

    "Encode for Windows (Base64/MIME); no compression; Windows file name
    extensions"
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

    probably they need to save it as a normal jpg, yes.

    "Jack Crane" <jdcrane7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
    > showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only by
    > making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by Windows
    > XP,
    > Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save it as a .jpg .
    >
    > But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some
    > advice
    > I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a
    > Windows-friendly
    > way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg extension to a photo before
    > emailing it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack Crane
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

    On 28/1/05 5:23 pm, in article
    BE202581.1069D1%Spam.Blocker@I.Dont.Want.No.Spam.INVALID, "Richard H"
    <Spam.Blocker@I.Dont.Want.No.Spam.INVALID> wrote:

    > In addition to using the correct extension, if their email application
    > supports it they should select "Send in Windows-Friendly Format".
    >
    > I run Apple Mail v.1.2.5 under OSX 10.2.8 - which doesn't, but fortunately I
    > have Entourage X where I can select (under Attachments):
    >
    > "Encode for Windows (Base64/MIME); no compression; Windows file name
    > extensions"

    Also, whether or not you have problems receiving may depend on the ISPs
    involved. My friend on AOL has trouble decoding attachments which I send
    thru my Freeserve (Wanadoo) account unless I encode them as above, but I
    have no problem sending to another friend who is with tiscali !
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

    Thanks for all the good advice.

    Jack

    Jack Crane <jdcrane7@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
    > showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only
    > by making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by
    > Windows XP, Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save
    > it as a .jpg .
    >
    > But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some
    > advice I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a
    > Windows-friendly way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg
    > extension to a photo before emailing it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack Crane

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

    So I send my friend a link to this thread at Google Groups, and get back,
    "I don't understand any of this". But she'd asked a friend where she is
    who advised her that a Windows user could just drag the problem Mac icons
    for a photo to an IE window and drop them. Works for me with both IE and
    Firefox.

    Jack

    > Thanks for all the good advice.
    >
    > Jack
    >
    > Jack Crane <jdcrane7@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
    >> showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only
    >> by making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by
    >> Windows XP, Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save
    >> it as a .jpg .
    >>
    >> But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some
    >> advice I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a
    >> Windows-friendly way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg
    >> extension to a photo before emailing it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jack Crane

Photo Macintosh Microsoft Windows XP