Need advice for a Mac user on emailing photos to Windows u..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only by
making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by Windows XP,
Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save it as a .jpg .

But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some advice
I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a Windows-friendly
way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg extension to a photo before
emailing it?

Thanks,

Jack Crane

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

Yes, they can assign an extension. This is the whole resource/data fox thing
that Mac's have. Data fork for the data, resource fork for think like which
kind of file it is (and the associated app/icon). And they probably should
too.

On 01/28/2005 5:51 AM, in article
Xns95EC3B8608818jdcrane7yahoocom@207.46.248.16, "Jack Crane"

"Jack Crane" <jdcrane7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
> showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only by
> making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by Windows
XP,
> Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save it as a .jpg .
>
> But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some
advice
> I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a
Windows-friendly
> way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg extension to a photo before
> emailing it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Crane

For future pictures, have your friend save them as either a gif or jpeg.
These are universal formats which are usable on almost all machines. I know
there is a way to do it as I also have a Mac using friend who sent me
pictures in both formats; they opened without me having to do the hoop jumps
you did.

Malv

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

On 28/1/05 4:03 pm, in article BE1FA23E.9553%matt@mattbeals.com, "Matt
Beals" <matt@mattbeals.com> wrote:

> Yes, they can assign an extension. This is the whole resource/data fox thing
> that Mac's have. Data fork for the data, resource fork for think like which
> kind of file it is (and the associated app/icon). And they probably should
> too.
>
> On 01/28/2005 5:51 AM, in article
> Xns95EC3B8608818jdcrane7yahoocom@207.46.248.16, "Jack Crane"
> <jdcrane7@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
>> showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only by
>> making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by Windows XP,
>> Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save it as a .jpg .
>>
>> But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some advice
>> I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a Windows-friendly
>> way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg extension to a photo before
>> emailing it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jack Crane

In addition to using the correct extension, if their email application
supports it they should select "Send in Windows-Friendly Format".

I run Apple Mail v.1.2.5 under OSX 10.2.8 - which doesn't, but fortunately I
have Entourage X where I can select (under Attachments):

"Encode for Windows (Base64/MIME); no compression; Windows file name
extensions"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

probably they need to save it as a normal jpg, yes.

"Jack Crane" <jdcrane7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
> showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only by
> making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by Windows
> XP,
> Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save it as a .jpg .
>
> But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some
> advice
> I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a
> Windows-friendly
> way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg extension to a photo before
> emailing it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Crane

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

On 28/1/05 5:23 pm, in article
BE202581.1069D1%Spam.Blocker@I.Dont.Want.No.Spam.INVALID, "Richard H"
<Spam.Blocker@I.Dont.Want.No.Spam.INVALID> wrote:

> In addition to using the correct extension, if their email application
> supports it they should select "Send in Windows-Friendly Format".
>
> I run Apple Mail v.1.2.5 under OSX 10.2.8 - which doesn't, but fortunately I
> have Entourage X where I can select (under Attachments):
>
> "Encode for Windows (Base64/MIME); no compression; Windows file name
> extensions"

Also, whether or not you have problems receiving may depend on the ISPs
involved. My friend on AOL has trouble decoding attachments which I send
thru my Freeserve (Wanadoo) account unless I encode them as above, but I
have no problem sending to another friend who is with tiscali !

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

Thanks for all the good advice.

Jack

Jack Crane <jdcrane7@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I use Windows XP and just received a photo from a Mac-using friend. It
> showed up in my Eudora as "$BDEGH(Bjpeg". I was able to open it only
> by making the right choice from a long list of programs offered by
> Windows XP, Irfanview, which opened the photo. I was then able to save
> it as a .jpg .
>
> But other, more newbie-ish recipients will be stymied. Is there some
> advice I can give my Mac-using friend on how to email photos in a
> Windows-friendly way? Would she be able to assign, say, a .jpg
> extension to a photo before emailing it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Crane

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.macintosh.general (More info?)

So I send my friend a link to this thread at Google Groups, and get back,
"I don't understand any of this". But she'd asked a friend where she is
who advised her that a Windows user could just drag the problem Mac icons
for a photo to an IE window and drop them. Works for me with both IE and
Firefox.

Jack