Remote Access...

Adde

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

I have established a VPN connection from my computer running Windows XP to
our LAN (I can ping the local IP addresses from a public network). What is
the next step in order to gain access to the mail/file servers running
Windows 2000 Server on the LAN. Basically I would like to log on to my user
account remotely as I would be in the office.

/Adde
--
fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag

If it is Windows XP Pro, you can join it to the domain and then log in over the VPN just as you
would locally on the LAN. Check the box on the login screen that says "use a dial-up
connection to login" (or whatever the text is. You might have to to click "Options" to see
this checkbox.)

If it is Windows XP Home or Media, or you don't want to join your computer to the domain
then you should login to your computer with the same username and password as a valid
domain account on the server side.

You can then connect to resources using "net use" commands or by typing the server UNC
name of the share (\\server\sharename) in the Windows map-a-network-drive dialog. You
generally will NOT be able to browse the network shares in network neighborhood.

Whether an XP Home to domain share connection works depends on a lot of security
settings on both sides, and it can be a little tricky. Sometimes almost impossible. Post
back with specific problems if you run into difficulty.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"Adde" <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0680FCCB-FE76-4C8C-875B-DB4AA44814BC@microsoft.com...
>I have established a VPN connection from my computer running Windows XP to
> our LAN (I can ping the local IP addresses from a public network). What is
> the next step in order to gain access to the mail/file servers running
> Windows 2000 Server on the LAN. Basically I would like to log on to my user
> account remotely as I would be in the office.
>
> /Adde
> --
> fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag

Adde

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

No luck! I'm getting the following message at the logon:
"There are no connections available to all users. You must logon before
dialing."

Any ideas?
--

"Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:

> If it is Windows XP Pro, you can join it to the domain and then log in over the VPN just as you
> would locally on the LAN. Check the box on the login screen that says "use a dial-up
> connection to login" (or whatever the text is. You might have to to click "Options" to see
> this checkbox.)
>
> If it is Windows XP Home or Media, or you don't want to join your computer to the domain
> then you should login to your computer with the same username and password as a valid
> domain account on the server side.
>
> You can then connect to resources using "net use" commands or by typing the server UNC
> name of the share (\\server\sharename) in the Windows map-a-network-drive dialog. You
> generally will NOT be able to browse the network shares in network neighborhood.
>
> Whether an XP Home to domain share connection works depends on a lot of security
> settings on both sides, and it can be a little tricky. Sometimes almost impossible. Post
> back with specific problems if you run into difficulty.
>
> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
>
> "Adde" <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0680FCCB-FE76-4C8C-875B-DB4AA44814BC@microsoft.com...
> >I have established a VPN connection from my computer running Windows XP to
> > our LAN (I can ping the local IP addresses from a public network). What is
> > the next step in order to gain access to the mail/file servers running
> > Windows 2000 Server on the LAN. Basically I would like to log on to my user
> > account remotely as I would be in the office.
> >
> > /Adde
> > --
> > fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag

You have to create the VPN conection in the network connections window so that it is available
to all users, not just your user. This is the first question that the new connection wizard asks.

If you are using a third-party VPN solution, it may not be creating a network connection in
which case there may be a different procedure, or it may not be integrated with Windows. In
that case you have to use the second method.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"Adde" <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:683F806E-A578-4A6B-BE9A-6DB87D4167BC@microsoft.com...
> No luck! I'm getting the following message at the logon:
> "There are no connections available to all users. You must logon before
> dialing."
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag
>

> "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If it is Windows XP Pro, you can join it to the domain and then log in over the VPN just as you
>> would locally on the LAN. Check the box on the login screen that says "use a dial-up
>> connection to login" (or whatever the text is. You might have to to click "Options" to see
>> this checkbox.)
>>
>> If it is Windows XP Home or Media, or you don't want to join your computer to the domain
>> then you should login to your computer with the same username and password as a valid
>> domain account on the server side.
>>
>> You can then connect to resources using "net use" commands or by typing the server UNC
>> name of the share (\\server\sharename) in the Windows map-a-network-drive dialog. You
>> generally will NOT be able to browse the network shares in network neighborhood.
>>
>> Whether an XP Home to domain share connection works depends on a lot of security
>> settings on both sides, and it can be a little tricky. Sometimes almost impossible. Post
>> back with specific problems if you run into difficulty.
>>
>> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
>> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
>>
>> "Adde" <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0680FCCB-FE76-4C8C-875B-DB4AA44814BC@microsoft.com...
>> >I have established a VPN connection from my computer running Windows XP to
>> > our LAN (I can ping the local IP addresses from a public network). What is
>> > the next step in order to gain access to the mail/file servers running
>> > Windows 2000 Server on the LAN. Basically I would like to log on to my user
>> > account remotely as I would be in the office.
>> >
>> > /Adde
>> > --
>> > fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag

Adde

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

I'm using a third party VPN and I do have a fully functional tunnel up and
running. I can ping resources on the LAN's private address range from the
outside, but I cannot get the server to authenticate me as a user and
therefore I have no access to the shared resources or my email (with net use
command and I can see the available shares however).

What do I need to do logon to at least the mail server after I have logged
on to my computer and created the third party VPN tunnel?

--

"Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:

> You have to create the VPN conection in the network connections window so that it is available
> to all users, not just your user. This is the first question that the new connection wizard asks.
>
> If you are using a third-party VPN solution, it may not be creating a network connection in
> which case there may be a different procedure, or it may not be integrated with Windows. In
> that case you have to use the second method.
>
> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
>
> "Adde" <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:683F806E-A578-4A6B-BE9A-6DB87D4167BC@microsoft.com...
> > No luck! I'm getting the following message at the logon:
> > "There are no connections available to all users. You must logon before
> > dialing."
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > --
> > fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag
> >

> > "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> If it is Windows XP Pro, you can join it to the domain and then log in over the VPN just as you
> >> would locally on the LAN. Check the box on the login screen that says "use a dial-up
> >> connection to login" (or whatever the text is. You might have to to click "Options" to see
> >> this checkbox.)
> >>
> >> If it is Windows XP Home or Media, or you don't want to join your computer to the domain
> >> then you should login to your computer with the same username and password as a valid
> >> domain account on the server side.
> >>
> >> You can then connect to resources using "net use" commands or by typing the server UNC
> >> name of the share (\\server\sharename) in the Windows map-a-network-drive dialog. You
> >> generally will NOT be able to browse the network shares in network neighborhood.
> >>
> >> Whether an XP Home to domain share connection works depends on a lot of security
> >> settings on both sides, and it can be a little tricky. Sometimes almost impossible. Post
> >> back with specific problems if you run into difficulty.
> >>
> >> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> >> Ergodic Systems, Inc.

If you login to your local computer using the same username and password that
you use on the domain you should be able to connect to shares and authenticate
to Exchange. The latter is just a matter of setting up your Outlook account with the
correct server name and user. You should use the fully-qualified DNS server name
(e.g. mailserver.mydomain.local)

You normally will not be able to browse resources in network neighborhood
with this configuration. You need to know the names of the shares you want to
connect, and do so manually in "map a network drive".

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"Adde" <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA9B1F40-0386-41F3-98CF-2A64C7BE770D@microsoft.com...
> I'm using a third party VPN and I do have a fully functional tunnel up and
> running. I can ping resources on the LAN's private address range from the
> outside, but I cannot get the server to authenticate me as a user and
> therefore I have no access to the shared resources or my email (with net use
> command and I can see the available shares however).
>
> What do I need to do logon to at least the mail server after I have logged
> on to my computer and created the third party VPN tunnel?
>
> --
> fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag
>

> "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You have to create the VPN conection in the network connections window so that it is available
>> to all users, not just your user. This is the first question that the new connection wizard asks.
>>
>> If you are using a third-party VPN solution, it may not be creating a network connection in
>> which case there may be a different procedure, or it may not be integrated with Windows. In
>> that case you have to use the second method.
>>
>> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
>> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
>>
>> "Adde" <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:683F806E-A578-4A6B-BE9A-6DB87D4167BC@microsoft.com...
>> > No luck! I'm getting the following message at the logon:
>> > "There are no connections available to all users. You must logon before
>> > dialing."
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> > --
>> > fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag

Adde

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

I'm up and running:) And all I had missed is to define the WINS server in my
IP settings!!!

Thanks for taking time to chat with me on this issue:)

/Adde