switch from domain to workgroup

I changed my computer (standalone) from a domain logon to a workgroup. When I
rebooted I put the same logon name and password as I used before but the
logon just tells me these are incorrect. Check caps lock etc. No matter what
I do I can't get past the logon screen. Is there anyway I get get it back to
the domain setting (even though I no longer connect to that domain) as at
least I could boot up OK? Alternatively, anyway I can get past the logon
screen?

calibre wrote:
> I changed my computer (standalone) from a domain logon to a workgroup. When I
> rebooted I put the same logon name and password as I used before but the
> logon just tells me these are incorrect. Check caps lock etc. No matter what
> I do I can't get past the logon screen. Is there anyway I get get it back to
> the domain setting (even though I no longer connect to that domain) as at
> least I could boot up OK? Alternatively, anyway I can get past the logon
> screen?

By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you have
destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so,
you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You
need to be physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
administrative privileges to the workstation, and you need to have
administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the machine
back on to the domain, after having first deleted the computer's old
domain account (unless you've also renamed the computer).

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

You need to know local account username and password in order to log on
locally to your computer.

When your OS was installed, Administrator account was created. Your best
bet would be to get in touch with person who installed your Windows and
see if they remember a password they've set up.

Also, try Administrator without password. It sometimes happen that
password for local admin is left blank.

You may also try to log back to your domain typing as a username
your_usernam@your_domain , and as password your password.