....generated an error and will be closed by windows......

My computer is plagued by spyware and adware. I use Ad-Aware, MS
Anti-Spyware Beta, in conjunction with my SBC/Yahoo DSL software package of
Anti-spyware, Anti-Virus and Popup Blocker.

I was pleased with the MS Spyware at first, but it says it removes the
adware/spyware, but as soon as I reboot they are all back. I reboot
immediately after running the scan, but they still come back. The same with
Ad-Aware. I even tried running them in Safe Mode-same result. How are these
adware/spyware programs regenerating themselves and why isn't the anti
spyware programs cleaning them off completely?

But now I have even a bigger problem. Every time I try to run a
program--any program--I get the following error message:

****.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need
to restart the program. An error log is being created.

I get this error when:
-some (not all, just some) programs load from startup (?) after I log
on..i.e. osa.exe (microsoft office)
-I try to use the run command to open the command line
-I try to open any EXE file---Freecell, PaperPort, Mahjongg, Microsoft
Spyware Bet, Ad-Aware and even Notepad (which means I cannot read the log
file it creates!!!)

The only exceptions are Word, Outlook, Excel or Internet Explorer. These
bring up the dialogue box:

Microsoft ***** has encountered an error, etc etc etc.....do you want to
send a copy of this error report to Microsoft?

And it has a checkbox to restart the application, and when it restarts it is
ok. I can't even look in the event viewer because mmc.exe generates an
error.........!! I hope someone out there can help me because I'm getting
very exasperated and frustrated. Thank you.

PS. Is there a listing somewhere of every file and directory (hidden or
not) that W2K installs so that I can check to make sure my files are still
the original installation version and not corrupted?

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:43:02 -0700, "truebluesubaru"
<truebluesubaru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My computer is plagued by spyware and adware. I use Ad-Aware, MS
>Anti-Spyware Beta, in conjunction with my SBC/Yahoo DSL software package of
>Anti-spyware, Anti-Virus and Popup Blocker.
>
>I was pleased with the MS Spyware at first, but it says it removes the
>adware/spyware, but as soon as I reboot they are all back. I reboot
>immediately after running the scan, but they still come back. The same with
>Ad-Aware. I even tried running them in Safe Mode-same result. How are these
>adware/spyware programs regenerating themselves and why isn't the anti
>spyware programs cleaning them off completely?
>
>But now I have even a bigger problem. Every time I try to run a
>program--any program--I get the following error message:
>
>****.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need
>to restart the program. An error log is being created.
>
>I get this error when:
>-some (not all, just some) programs load from startup (?) after I log
>on..i.e. osa.exe (microsoft office)
>-I try to use the run command to open the command line
>-I try to open any EXE file---Freecell, PaperPort, Mahjongg, Microsoft
>Spyware Bet, Ad-Aware and even Notepad (which means I cannot read the log
>file it creates!!!)
>
>The only exceptions are Word, Outlook, Excel or Internet Explorer. These
>bring up the dialogue box:
>
>Microsoft ***** has encountered an error, etc etc etc.....do you want to
>send a copy of this error report to Microsoft?
>
>And it has a checkbox to restart the application, and when it restarts it is
>ok. I can't even look in the event viewer because mmc.exe generates an
>error.........!! I hope someone out there can help me because I'm getting
>very exasperated and frustrated. Thank you.
>
>PS. Is there a listing somewhere of every file and directory (hidden or
>not) that W2K installs so that I can check to make sure my files are still
>the original installation version and not corrupted?

I have just been through exactly the same thing. I had the most trouble with
explorer whenever I needed to look at files and folders.
Kept ignoring it and eventually the computer died - to a stop warning.
Had to re-install windows and had trouble with that as the new motherboard had
SATA connections and no SATA drives and I did then not know how to get it to see
the hard drives.

I had to re-build the entire C: drive so it was a blessing that that drive is
only 8001MB in size. Even the backups were of no use and the same held good for
the acronis mirror - probably because they were created while the fault was
there.
A little known "NoAdware" was added and despite all the others I had, this one
still finds the error and makes a correction.
I was also using the Ad-Aware, SpybotSD, Regclean and free AVG.

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:43:02 -0700, "truebluesubaru"
<truebluesubaru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My computer is plagued by spyware and adware. I use Ad-Aware, MS
>Anti-Spyware Beta, in conjunction with my SBC/Yahoo DSL software package of
>Anti-spyware, Anti-Virus and Popup Blocker.
>
>I was pleased with the MS Spyware at first, but it says it removes the
>adware/spyware, but as soon as I reboot they are all back. I reboot
>immediately after running the scan, but they still come back. The same with
>Ad-Aware. I even tried running them in Safe Mode-same result. How are these
>adware/spyware programs regenerating themselves and why isn't the anti
>spyware programs cleaning them off completely?
>
>But now I have even a bigger problem. Every time I try to run a
>program--any program--I get the following error message:
>
>****.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need
>to restart the program. An error log is being created.
>
>I get this error when:
>-some (not all, just some) programs load from startup (?) after I log
>on..i.e. osa.exe (microsoft office)
>-I try to use the run command to open the command line
>-I try to open any EXE file---Freecell, PaperPort, Mahjongg, Microsoft
>Spyware Bet, Ad-Aware and even Notepad (which means I cannot read the log
>file it creates!!!)
>
>The only exceptions are Word, Outlook, Excel or Internet Explorer. These
>bring up the dialogue box:
>
>Microsoft ***** has encountered an error, etc etc etc.....do you want to
>send a copy of this error report to Microsoft?
>
>And it has a checkbox to restart the application, and when it restarts it is
>ok. I can't even look in the event viewer because mmc.exe generates an
>error.........!! I hope someone out there can help me because I'm getting
>very exasperated and frustrated. Thank you.
>
>PS. Is there a listing somewhere of every file and directory (hidden or
>not) that W2K installs so that I can check to make sure my files are still
>the original installation version and not corrupted?

Just as I was bragging about being clean, I thought I should update SpywareSD
and it found 8 items causing bother - so much for a supposedly clean computer.

"truebluesubaru" wrote:

> My computer is plagued by spyware and adware. I use Ad-Aware, MS
> Anti-Spyware Beta, in conjunction with my SBC/Yahoo DSL software package of
> Anti-spyware, Anti-Virus and Popup Blocker.
>
> I was pleased with the MS Spyware at first, but it says it removes the
> adware/spyware, but as soon as I reboot they are all back. I reboot
> immediately after running the scan, but they still come back. The same with
> Ad-Aware. I even tried running them in Safe Mode-same result. How are these
> adware/spyware programs regenerating themselves and why isn't the anti
> spyware programs cleaning them off completely?
>
> But now I have even a bigger problem. Every time I try to run a
> program--any program--I get the following error message:
>
> ****.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need
> to restart the program. An error log is being created.
>
> I get this error when:
> -some (not all, just some) programs load from startup (?) after I log
> on..i.e. osa.exe (microsoft office)
> -I try to use the run command to open the command line
> -I try to open any EXE file---Freecell, PaperPort, Mahjongg, Microsoft
> Spyware Bet, Ad-Aware and even Notepad (which means I cannot read the log
> file it creates!!!)
>
> The only exceptions are Word, Outlook, Excel or Internet Explorer. These
> bring up the dialogue box:
>
> Microsoft ***** has encountered an error, etc etc etc.....do you want to
> send a copy of this error report to Microsoft?
>
> And it has a checkbox to restart the application, and when it restarts it is
> ok. I can't even look in the event viewer because mmc.exe generates an
> error.........!! I hope someone out there can help me because I'm getting
> very exasperated and frustrated. Thank you.
>
> PS. Is there a listing somewhere of every file and directory (hidden or
> not) that W2K installs so that I can check to make sure my files are still
> the original installation version and not corrupted?

Hello - I am having the same troubles as you are, and I wondered if you had
any new info or if you had to reformat your drive and reinstall windows? I
really thought I might have some sort of virus since i didn't begin having
problems until about a week ago when I installed WinMX. I also used spybot,
adaware, and MS's antispyware program with only temporary results. I am
really hoping I don't have to reformat and lose everything, but I am afraid
that if I save what I want, the problem will be saved along with it. Any help
will be appreciated. Thanx ~~ C