Gigabyte DS4

wallis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
hi guys i wanted to know if Gigabyte DS4 motherboard has a backplate like the Gigabyte DQ6. i was thinking of buying one and also a zalman cooler that has its own backplate.

urahozer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
To be honest when installing an aftermarket heatsink its easier without the backplate on the DQ6 you have to take it off to put say a True 120 on

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Man.. I used to thing how cool or neat the chipset cooler is. That maybe a great MB, but I'd replace that linked cooler on the chipset.

After seeing my SB HS at 62C, I don't think I'll ever get a MB unless its using separate coolers for the chipset.

But... thats just me.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The whole cooling link, from the mosfets to the SB chip.

Just saying, when I used my IR Thermometer when my system was under load, my SB HS on the linked cooler for the chipset was registering 62C. When I took it off, and replaced it, my IR was showing 36C on load. To me, the chipset cooler I had on my P6N Platium, was really limiting my OC.

Perhaps the Crazy Cool on that Gigabyte is higher quality then mine. But if you get the chance to see if you can figure out the SB temp with an external temp monitor, you might be surpised how hot the whole linked cooler on the chips really gets.

Edit:

Also forgot to mention the type of cooling used on my CPU. Since I use a tower HS (ZeroTherm NV 120) it doesn't blow on the MB to help cool the chipset. But then again, not even sure if a HS that blows on the MB would still be adequate enough.

urahozer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
ooh ok, on teh DS4 i have a True 120 with a Scythe (110cfm fan) it cools my Mosfets, NB, and Ram. only probs on the DS4 is Southbridge, but it doesnt really affect OC at all

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh... the point is, the SB doesn't need to run any hotter then it needs to be, which is linked on the cooler.

With that said, the NB is running hotter then it would normally operate, since its linked to the mosfet, which makes it even hotter. My NB was running 63C, and with it seperated, 49C on load.

My mosfet was getting 71C on certain points. With it on a separte mosfet it only gets 52C.

So my basic conclusion with the linked coolers, is that it won't properly cool things if your going to OC. It should work well enough for stock, but OC it will run hotter... well makes everything run hotter.

Edit:

Also, the linked cooler I had, was aluminum, painted copper.

urahozer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
yeah i guess that makes sense, i always kinda wondered what the advantage of linking all your hot stuff together with heatpipes was