HP LCD, is it dead or just in need of repair?

by_tor71

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Hi everyone, I need some help. Today our LCD monitor just stopped working. It really doesn't even power up. For the last few months it would drop out from time to time. Mostly on hot days, I just thought it was getting a little too hot. Unplug it for a bit and plug it back in and off it went. I have heard that sometimes the power inverter goes bad and I have read sometimes the lamp in the back dies out, but nowhere can I find out if there are symptoms or if it just dies out. Any help would be great. By_tor71

Bameraam

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Hi there,

The fact the display works again after unplugging it for a few, makes me believe it has something to do with caps discharging. If there's 1 thing electrolytic caps don't like, it is heat. Also, during the years, they tend to dry out and loose their voltage-stabilising functionality. Some low quality caps even leak after a few years - recently had that with a mobo.

How old is that display you have?
If it's out of warranty, and didn't cost too much, I'd go get a screwdriver and check the internals of the device, it's amazing what can be detected with eyes only.

Forget the lamps: once broken - always broken. You wouldn't see anything after plugging it back in if that was the case.

Good luck

by_tor71

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
The monitor is about 3 years old. Also it is left on most of the time. Now nothing happens after unpluging it. All that happens now after you plug it back in the power light just flashes tow times then gose off and the screen does nothing at all. Thanks By_tor71