HELP!! Need to reorganize 300gb file server

I am faced with the overwelming task of trying to clean up one of my
companies file server. Brief history The data on this server is over 10
years old and no one really delets anything. I am looking for a program that
will help me make the migration as smooth as possible.
I will be asked to go dept by dept and reorganize the way they either view
or share their folders HELP! HELP! HELP!

Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about help reorganize 300gb file server

    In news:EC9F2BD0-9F43-4FE6-9209-D728BDDFD334@microsoft.com,
    Angryblack <Angryblack@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > I am faced with the overwelming task of trying to clean up one of my
    > companies file server. Brief history The data on this server is over
    > 10 years old and no one really delets anything. I am looking for a
    > program that will help me make the migration as smooth as possible.
    > I will be asked to go dept by dept and reorganize the way they either
    > view or share their folders HELP! HELP! HELP!
    >
    > Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.

    Since you probably won't have any idea what's trash and what isn't, I
    suggest you get something like TreeSize Pro from JAM Software (google it).
    Try the eval, and then buy a copy for each computer you want to run it on.
    It's a very nice utility and will show you what's where, the size of
    subfolders, etc - you can choose graphs, details, export to Excel, HTML,
    XML, etc... then you and the staff can go through things together.

    I didn't have that much data but it still took two years to reorganize the
    server(s) properly. This is not something you can rush through. This is a
    big job.

    You have to identify what everyone is using and who owns what.
    You then have to get the big picture and design a file folder structure
    that's going to work long term
    Next you have to pick one dept and consult with them.
    Backup everything
    As you reorganize stop access to old stuff. After a period of time
    [3months] if no one complains delete it.
    Keep doing this by department until you are done. You will find that while
    you do this there will also be new requirements. Design your structure with
    this in mind so you have the right catagories to put the new requirements
    under.

File Server Microsoft Windows