In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?

And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that vowels
are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in words.
Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.

"A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?
>
> And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that
> vowels
> are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in
> words.
> Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.

Lox is something to have on bagels. But I do know what you mean about some
of the ordinary words that they should take. Apparently they have a
submission place for words that should be there but aren't. I believe
bobcat has also been complaining about the missing words and she said
something very valid. They have dictionaries from their other word games,
why don't they use them?

Also some words are 'special' Neopian words that get a special sound when
you find them and more points. Edna is usually an easy one if you need to
hear the sound, and I got 60 points for it; other 4 letter words are not
that generous. I had one and cannot remember what the word was now, but it
was common. I guess it has a Neo use too. I want to read the Neopian
dictionary!

I have also gotten Grundo & Uni.

But I think it's the words that they don't take that bother people.

daramark

>But I think it's the words that they don't take that bother people.

Yep! I sit there with the game open and another window with the
dictionary open. Any time a word isn't accepted, I type it into the
dictionary suggestion and submit it. The most annoying one right now for
me is 'nun', although I was upset to find out that some words I use all
the time aren't even words!! Bets, clap, curt, fend, flaw, junk, lard,
golf, lone, pave, null, sift, stew, tans, volt, waif, thud, weed, webs,
zits... I got that silly buzzer sound for all of them and submitted them,
along with a bunch of others, and hopefully they'll be added!

-Lois

"gsulois" <gsulois@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >But I think it's the words that they don't take that bother people.
>
> Yep! I sit there with the game open and another window with the
> dictionary open. Any time a word isn't accepted, I type it into the
> dictionary suggestion and submit it. The most annoying one right now for
> me is 'nun', although I was upset to find out that some words I use all
> the time aren't even words!! Bets, clap, curt, fend, flaw, junk, lard,
> golf, lone, pave, null, sift, stew, tans, volt, waif, thud, weed, webs,
> zits... I got that silly buzzer sound for all of them and submitted them,
> along with a bunch of others, and hopefully they'll be added!

That's a good idea. But it would take time out from playing, and I need all
the time I can get.

daramark

"daramark" <dara.butler@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> "A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?
>>
>> And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that
>> vowels
>> are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in
>> words.
>> Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.
>>

> Lox is something to have on bagels. But I do know what you mean about
> some of the ordinary words that they should take. Apparently they have a
> submission place for words that should be there but aren't. I believe
> bobcat has also been complaining about the missing words and she said
> something very valid. They have dictionaries from their other word games,
> why don't they use them?
>
> Also some words are 'special' Neopian words that get a special sound when
> you find them and more points. Edna is usually an easy one if you need to
> hear the sound, and I got 60 points for it; other 4 letter words are not
> that generous. I had one and cannot remember what the word was now, but
> it was common. I guess it has a Neo use too. I want to read the Neopian
> dictionary!
>
> I have also gotten Grundo & Uni.
>
> But I think it's the words that they don't take that bother people.
>
> daramark

OK, I get Florg and Slorg alot, Baby counts as a Neo word. Peophin, Edna.

I think that reading the stamp or card collection before playing should help
get the miserable Neo words. And telling them when a word should be in
their thrice damned dictionary and isn't can only help in the long run if
they really do update the thing. They didn't take jilt or joist. I told
them and I guess we will see.

daramark

Not even all the Neopian words are there!

Snoogy being one of them!

Grrr

I have no problem getting 1000 NP/ game on it, but I dont know HOW people
get 10,000 points on it! I generally get 2000 points

"daramark" <dara.butler@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> "A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?
>>
>> And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that
>> vowels
>> are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in
>> words.
>> Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.
>>

> Lox is something to have on bagels. But I do know what you mean about
> some of the ordinary words that they should take. Apparently they have a
> submission place for words that should be there but aren't. I believe
> bobcat has also been complaining about the missing words and she said
> something very valid. They have dictionaries from their other word games,
> why don't they use them?
>
> Also some words are 'special' Neopian words that get a special sound when
> you find them and more points. Edna is usually an easy one if you need to
> hear the sound, and I got 60 points for it; other 4 letter words are not
> that generous. I had one and cannot remember what the word was now, but
> it was common. I guess it has a Neo use too. I want to read the Neopian
> dictionary!
>
> I have also gotten Grundo & Uni.
>
> But I think it's the words that they don't take that bother people.
>
> daramark

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

daramark [dara.butler@sympatico.ca] said
> "A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> > In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?
> >
> > And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that
> > vowels
> > are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in
> > words.
> > Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.
> >

> Lox is something to have on bagels.

It's smoked salmon.

Yes, I know - I have eaten lox as is, on hardtack, and on bagels. :D

"Les" <> > >

"Les" <les789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> daramark [dara.butler@sympatico.ca] said
>> "A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> > In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?
>> >
>> > And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that
>> > vowels
>> > are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in
>> > words.
>> > Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.
>> >

>> Lox is something to have on bagels.
>
> It's smoked salmon.

It's funny, my darling just cam home with a box of Smoked Salmon. He buys
it for the special wood decoration box. But now that my mom's gone, none of
eat the stuff. I think he forgot. And I'm not telling him.

I was going to call it smoked salmon with cream cheese, but that would be
wrong. Is it a special recipe, or just any smoked salmon, probably kosher.

daramark

> Yes, I know - I have eaten lox as is, on hardtack, and on bagels. :D
>
> "Les" <> > >
>> > Lox is something to have on bagels.
>>
>> It's smoked salmon.

Hardtack reminds me, do you know what Newfie fast food is? It's call 'Fish
and Brews' and I probably spelt it wrong.

It's made by soaking salt fish (cod usually) for 24 hours and discarding the
water. Soak hardtack for 24 hours (at the same time as the fish would be
good) and at the end of it add the salt fish to the hardtack and boil for a
long time. There might be more changes of water, I haven't made it myself.
But it turns out like a stew, sort of, and once it's made you can dish it
out whenever, keeping it hot in a steam table or on a hotdog stand. It's
served at fairs and regatas, which I probably also misspelled.

daramark

bodcat1 wrote:
> Not even all the Neopian words are there!
>
> Snoogy being one of them!
>
> Grrr
>
> I have no problem getting 1000 NP/ game on it, but I dont know HOW people
> get 10,000 points on it! I generally get 2000 points

then you are very good, I am not coming farther then around 600, maybe 700

Henny

>That's a good idea. But it would take time out from playing, and I need
>all
>the time I can get.

Yeah, it does take a few seconds out... unless you can manage to time it
right. After you find a word, you have a few seconds while all the above
letters fall. About half the time, I can manage to type in the word
during those few seconds!

-Lois

daramark wrote:

> Hardtack

What IS hardtack? Is it a VERY stiff saddle for a horse? hehehe

--
So long my unfairweather friend. I leave you here. Under the cloud where
the sidewalk ends. - Cindy Alexander

Have you noticed, I could be wrong but it looks like if you buy a vowel and
it doesnt take the word you still pay for it and pay more next time for
one!! Annoying when its a valid word!!

> >That's a good idea. But it would take time out from playing, and I need
>>all
>>the time I can get.
>
> Yeah, it does take a few seconds out... unless you can manage to time it
> right. After you find a word, you have a few seconds while all the above
> letters fall. About half the time, I can manage to type in the word
> during those few seconds!
>
> -Lois

"Raindrop" <> wrote

> What IS hardtack? Is it a VERY stiff saddle for a horse? hehehe

Hardtack is a sort of bread cracker sort of thing. Don't know about now, but
it used to be a staple of sailor types. As long as it is kept dry, it
will last forever. No oils to gt rancid, no moisture to harbor mold, and it
is already hard so nobody notices if it's stale.
It's kind of like eating wood, only without the splinters. :D

(Making no apologies to Down Easters, Newfies, and others who prove their
mettle and their sea-faring roots by enjoying the stuff, like a Minnisotan
eating lutefisk, Scotsman eating haggis, or a Thai eating fertile duck eggs.
Some ethnic foods are just not meant to be shared.)

> "Raindrop" <> wrote
>>
>> What IS hardtack? Is it a VERY stiff saddle for a horse? hehehe
>>
> Hardtack is a sort of bread cracker sort of thing. Don't know about now,
> but
> it used to be a staple of sailor types. As long as it is kept dry, it
> will last forever. No oils to gt rancid, no moisture to harbor mold, and
> it
> is already hard so nobody notices if it's stale.
> It's kind of like eating wood, only without the splinters. :D
>
> (Making no apologies to Down Easters, Newfies, and others who prove their
> mettle and their sea-faring roots by enjoying the stuff, like a Minnisotan
> eating lutefisk, Scotsman eating haggis, or a Thai eating fertile duck
> eggs.
> Some ethnic foods are just not meant to be shared.)

Not that I EVER have, but Western Canadians and Prairie Oysters. Nuff
Said..

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

daramark [dara.butler@sympatico.ca] said
> "Les" <les789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Lox is something to have on bagels.
> >
> > It's smoked salmon.
> >

> It's funny, my darling just cam home with a box of Smoked Salmon. He buys
> it for the special wood decoration box. But now that my mom's gone, none of
> eat the stuff. I think he forgot. And I'm not telling him.

I feel for you, I really do, as I know from my own experiences the big
things sting but the little things hurt like hell.

> I was going to call it smoked salmon with cream cheese, but that would be
> wrong. Is it a special recipe, or just any smoked salmon, probably kosher.

I don't know as it is not a word we use at all in the UK, I only know it
from watching American TV.

>Have you noticed, I could be wrong but it looks like if you buy a vowel
and

>it doesnt take the word you still pay for it and pay more next time for
>one!! Annoying when its a valid word!!

YES!!! That is sooo annoying!

-Lois

Maybe the person who put the dictionary
bit in the game was dysiexic.......lol

dare i say like the dysiexic priest that believed in dog......
"yes i know that was silly"

"A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?
>
> And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that
vowels
> are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in
words.
> Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.

Or the paranoid, dyslexic insomniac who stayed up all night worried about
weather or not there really was a dog.

"Soviet1918" <soviet@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Maybe the person who put the dictionary
> bit in the game was dysiexic.......lol
>
> dare i say like the dysiexic priest that believed in dog......
> "yes i know that was silly"
>

> "A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?
>>
>> And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that
> vowels
>> are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in
> words.
>> Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.

o.k this is getting silly........

daramark wrote:

> "A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> > In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?
> >
> > And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that
> > vowels
> > are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in
> > words.
> > Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.
> >

> Lox is something to have on bagels. But I do know what you mean about some
> of the ordinary words that they should take. Apparently they have a
> submission place for words that should be there but aren't. I believe
> bobcat has also been complaining about the missing words and she said
> something very valid. They have dictionaries from their other word games,
> why don't they use them?
>
> Also some words are 'special' Neopian words that get a special sound when
> you find them and more points. Edna is usually an easy one if you need to
> hear the sound, and I got 60 points for it; other 4 letter words are not
> that generous. I had one and cannot remember what the word was now, but it
> was common. I guess it has a Neo use too. I want to read the Neopian
> dictionary!
>
> I have also gotten Grundo & Uni.
>
> But I think it's the words that they don't take that bother people.
>
> daramark

Lung, brew, welt, wend and stew apparently don't exist :/ Though I did
do some irate dictionary-editing, so perhaps they'll pop up at some
point soon.

And for a site with such an admirable pirate population, I was SHOCKED
to see that 'keg' was not permitted!!!

Hehehe. And 'java' got me a dingle-lingle sound.

Helena

daramark wrote:

> "A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> > In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?
> >
> > And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that
> > vowels
> > are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in
> > words.
> > Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.

Try, shy, by, thy, sly and rhythm (I think, though I haven't tried it).

I found them useful for getting rid of annoying Ys!

"Absynthia Ravenglass" <absynthia_ravenglasss@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> daramark wrote:
>
>> "A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> > In what universe is "lox" a valid word, but hoe, bung, nun are not?
>> >
>> > And why oh why can't a vowel drop in once in a while? I realize that
>> > vowels
>> > are a tiny minority in the alphabet, but they are much more common in
>> > words.
>> > Maybe as much as a third of any given sentence is composed of vowels.
>> >

> Try, shy, by, thy, sly and rhythm (I think, though I haven't tried it).
>
> I found them useful for getting rid of annoying Ys!

Have you noticed the pestery "no multiple" rule on the dictionary?? I dont
understand why the word "floud" would work but not "flouds". OK, maybe
Flouds does, but I mean some words work, but they dont if you put an "S" on
the end...

mikki

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

> "Absynthia Ravenglass" <absynthia_ravenglasss@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:43341eb8$0$15057$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...
>> daramark wrote:
>>
>>> "A. M. Hawk Widner" <amhwidner@insightbb.com> wrote in message

>> Try, shy, by, thy, sly and rhythm (I think, though I haven't tried it).
>>
>> I found them useful for getting rid of annoying Ys!

> Have you noticed the pestery "no multiple" rule on the dictionary?? I
> dont understand why the word "floud" would work but not "flouds". OK,
> maybe Flouds does, but I mean some words work, but they dont if you put an
> "S" on the end...

I was just playing and noticed that same thing; definitely frustrating. I
got a few good words in though!