Your question

Black Boxes on Desktop Icons

Tags:
  • Call of Duty
  • Desktop Icons
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 29, 2011 8:05:01 PM

After I finished playing COD MW2 last evening, I shut my computer down. This morning upon starting it up, I had 3/4 of my desktop icons covered with black boxes. I have tried system restore, deleting the icon cache and reboot all to no avail. I am running Windows Home Premium in 64bit mode. Also ran a malware scan and cleaned everything it found. I am running Norton Security Suite which works great for catching anything that comes my way. I am totally perplexed with this.

More about : black boxes desktop icons

June 29, 2011 9:30:36 PM

Greeny56 said:
After I finished playing COD MW2 last evening, I shut my computer down. This morning upon starting it up, I had 3/4 of my desktop icons covered with black boxes. I have tried system restore, deleting the icon cache and reboot all to no avail. I am running Windows Home Premium in 64bit mode. Also ran a malware scan and cleaned everything it found. I am running Norton Security Suite which works great for catching anything that comes my way. I am totally perplexed with this.

Problem solved by going to this page and finding the default Lnk registry file and merging it into the registry and then rebooting. Now to try to make the shortcut arrows smaller.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 30, 2011 12:42:42 AM

Hi there,

Glad you got it working again. I would have guessed it was a virus causing havoc. Have also seen black icons, especiallly in the task bar, when RAM has been maxed out.
m
l
!