Sign in with
Your question

Pentiun D 3.44 vs Core 2 1.86

Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2007 8:40:56 AM

Which Processor gives faster speed and loads applications quickly?

Pentium D 3.44 Ghz or Core 2 1.8 Ghz

don't say C2d is latest technology so it would be faster than high end PD because i already got reply from Intel Corp saying PD 3.44 would be faster but I am still confused to buy a new computer.

What should i go for C2D will be the future PD 3.4 goes faster now what to do?

More about : pentiun core

January 6, 2007 8:55:59 AM

Quote:

don't say C2d is latest technology so it would be faster than high end PD because i already got reply from Intel Corp saying PD 3.44 would be faster but I am still confused to buy a new computer.

Oh my god...
January 6, 2007 9:07:39 AM

whoever told u that is obviously not from intel
if it is then hes obviously a dick
yer u tell him that

Pentium D's pretty much suck, doesnt matter wat speed they run,
doesnt matter how much u can overclock,
doesnt matter wat applications or games,
Core 2 Duo will always be the better choice
Use the CPU Charts on this site
even a low-end [C2D E6400 (2.13Ghz)] can easily beat the
best Pentium D available [965 EE (3.73Ghz)] in most applications

(unless u can get that Pentium D for a cheap price, dont bother with it)
Related resources
January 6, 2007 9:13:34 AM

LOL DOES INTEL EVEN KNOW THEIR OWN CPUS!?

Believe me, i went from a single core Pentium 4 3.0ghz to an E6400 and this baby just blows that blasted worthless P4 out of the water and air!
January 6, 2007 10:18:39 AM

Quote:

I am willing to swear on my life that whoever told you that is sadly misinformed. The Core 2 Duo will blast any Pentium D outta the water.
Don't believe me? Here is a benchmark chart showing every single Core 2 Duo blasting every other AMD and Intel CPU in encoding. INCLUDING the 3.73GHz Extreme Edition, which sucks. The simple fact is that Core 2 Duos are faster. I strongly suggest you call that guy who told you that Pentium Ds and ask him wtf is wrong with him :lol: 
January 6, 2007 10:32:12 AM

Quote:

I am willing to swear on my life that whoever told you that is sadly misinformed. The Core 2 Duo will blast any Pentium D outta the water.
Don't believe me? Here is a benchmark chart showing every single Core 2 Duo blasting every other AMD and Intel CPU in encoding. INCLUDING the 3.73GHz Extreme Edition, which sucks. The simple fact is that Core 2 Duos are faster. I strongly suggest you call that guy who told you that Pentium Ds and ask him wtf is wrong with him :lol: 
While i agree, they don't show the E6300 there. I argued this with another member months ago...he didn't believe that the D965EE(3.73) beat the E6300 in IIRC 9/16 benchmarks. It was on Anandtech, i think. I'll dig up the link.

My numbers were wrong, but the 965(suprisingly) beat the E6300 in over half the benches(except gaming).

Quote:
Intel's Core 2 Extreme X6800 didn't lose a single benchmark in our comparison; not a single one. In many cases, the $183 Core 2 Duo E6300 actually outperformed Intel's previous champ: the Pentium Extreme Edition 965.
Still, that's the 3.73, not 3.46. :?
January 6, 2007 10:36:06 AM

I find that C2D performs around 2x that of a P-D clock for clock.

So an E6300 is about equal to a PD @ 3.7GHz.
January 6, 2007 10:42:48 AM

Quote:

Oh my god...
You can shout it loud man! I'm not surprised Intel gave that answer; they've got so much of that crap left.
To thahim: A 1.8 Ghz Core2 CPU will perform 15-25% faster than a 3.4 GHz PentiumD; forget what they told you.
January 6, 2007 10:43:31 AM

Quote:
I find that C2D performs around 2x that of a P-D clock for clock.

So an E6300 is about equal to a PD @ 3.7GHz.
Yeah...that sounds about right. JJ tested his 3.6GHz P4 against his underclocked(to 1.8GHz) X6800, and it still beat the P4..just. :) 
January 6, 2007 10:59:28 AM

Quote:

The two should be about equals. Performancewise, anyway. Comparing heat dissipation of the two is like warm coffee next to the sun's core.
January 6, 2007 11:25:17 AM

Commencing Pentium Rape

Every one can tell that this guy is obviously just Fooling around with us. If he's not Take a look at this benchmark and Staple that Intel Representative in India's Balls to his Wooden Chair and Stab him a few times.
How The Hell Could an Intel Representative tell you a Pentium is faster than a Core 2 Duo because it's speed it like So much faster :roll: .

Would you mind recording that statement if it's the phone or Using a video camera and taping him if he's at a store around you?, I would like to show it to the people on these forums, on how smart a Marketing Team Intel has hired. If they are actually Intel's Reps

God damn it, Even the FX-55 Beat it by a bit of a margin ( 8O In Multi-Tasking< IT'S A SINGE CORE)
January 6, 2007 11:34:34 AM

Quote:
Commencing Pentium Rape

Every one can tell that this guy is obviously just Fooling around with us. If he's not Take a look at this benchmark and Staple that Intel Representative in India's Balls to his Wooden Chair and Stab him a few times.
How The Hell Could an Intel Representative tell you a Pentium is faster than a Core 2 Duo because it's speed it like So much faster :roll: .

Would you mind recording that statement if it's the phone or Using a video camera and taping him if he's at a store around you?, I would like to show it to the people on these forums, on how smart a Marketing Team Intel has hired. If they are actually Intel's Reps

God damn it, Even the FX-55 Beat it by a bit of a margin ( 8O In Multi-Tasking< IT'S A SINGE CORE)

:lol: 
January 6, 2007 11:51:06 AM

Quote:
Commencing Pentium Rape

Now that just proves it!
January 6, 2007 12:08:22 PM

Quote:
Commencing Pentium Rape

Now that just proves it!

Agreed.
January 6, 2007 1:02:14 PM

i had to register to say this :p 

ha ha!
January 6, 2007 1:35:18 PM

If you actually talked to an Intel guy, he obviously was trying to dump his Netburst inventory. Core2duo is the the best right now. And as you can see by quite a margin!
January 6, 2007 1:43:55 PM

Quote:

If you want to compare P-D with C2D,
please see 1GHz C2D as 2GHz P-D :wink:
January 6, 2007 4:47:46 PM

Actually its more than a simple 1:2 ratio in certain applications

Just for comparison
Netburst
Horribly inefficient super long pipeline with high clockspeeds
Double-cycle SSE execution

Core2Duo
Shorter, more efficient pipeline
Single-cycle SSE execution
Micro/Macro fusion ops

Supposing your proposed pentium D was faster, a 3.4ghz PD just costs way too much for its performance compared to a c2d
January 13, 2007 6:33:29 AM

I am not tring to fool around with you people. Obviously what comes to a normal human brain how far would 1.86 GHz go? May be double but can it reach 3.44GHz?

I beleive Core 2 is better but 1.86 could beat up a pentium for about 2.8 GHz 3.44 is much faster so can 1.86 GHz processor beat 3.44 as well?

And yeah if you don'ot trust the mail i received from intel I can really forward it to you if you want.
January 13, 2007 7:17:55 AM

Quote:

of course pentium d is ""faster""....
they must've meant 3.44>1.8
it IS faster... in numbers only
u know why they told u that??
so they can sell off all of their crappy old pentium d...
also, don't forget pentium D is HOTHOTHOT!!!
pentium D is good at... cooking? maybe?
January 13, 2007 8:34:52 AM

I don't think there is a PD @ 3.44GHz either?!

It jumps in 200MHz increments, 3.2GHz -> 3.4GHz -> 3.6GHz...
January 13, 2007 8:40:10 AM

Quote:

3.46GHz(PD 955EE). :wink:

955EE--266x13=3.46

965EE--266x14=3.73
January 13, 2007 8:48:37 AM

Quote:
I am not tring to fool around with you people. Obviously what comes to a normal human brain how far would 1.86 GHz go? May be double but can it reach 3.44GHz?

I beleive Core 2 is better but 1.86 could beat up a pentium for about 2.8 GHz 3.44 is much faster so can 1.86 GHz processor beat 3.44 as well?

And yeah if you don'ot trust the mail i received from intel I can really forward it to you if you want.

trapperjohn117@gmail.com if its not to much trouble.

Clock speed doest matter now, the micro architecture that the Core 2 Duo uses is far superior to that of the P4 and PD, the main reason that the C2D out performs the P4 is that the IPC (instructions per clock) is higher, so it can do more in one clock cycle.
January 13, 2007 9:00:10 AM

Quote:

3.46GHz(PD 955EE). :wink:

955EE--266x13=3.46

965EE--266x14=3.73

3.46GHz != 3.44GHz ;) 

But it's probably what he meant.
January 13, 2007 10:58:59 AM

Quote:

It's because the Core 2 Duo is much, MUCH more efficient than the Pentim D. It can do far more with less clock cycles. To give you an example, with Pentium D when an instruction is sent there isn't even any guarantee as to whether it'll be executed. It just keeps repeating it until it is.

You have to understand that when you're comparing different architectures like Core 2 and Pentium D clockspeed isn't very relevant. Take AMD's Athlon. Their 3000+ CPU is about the same as a Pentium 4 3.0GHz. However, the 3000+ is actually only 1.8GHz. See what I mean?

And by the way, no, we're not fooling with you. :) 
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2007 12:09:45 PM

You see, this is what I don't like about Intel, and why I have stuck to AMD, and will stay with AMD until the ship sinks, (hopefully they can get back on track soon) even though Intel does have a better product now.
Intel has played the megahertz game for years.

Their whole advertising campaign and success has been based on faster MHZ=Faster PC. And they have been so succesful at it, MOST people outside of the enthusiast community still believe, simply put, more MHZ means faster.

So when more than just a few enthusiasts catch on to the game, they decide to rename their entire processor line and stop using the MHZ rating system.

Of course if someone calls/writes and asks, they are going to say something like that. It's hard to change a culture that has been driven by MHZ alone for years, they made a ton of money doing it, and they have old stock of processors to unload.
January 13, 2007 12:20:27 PM

Quote:

I don't like to insult people, but...are you stupid, dumb, retarded or what?
Can't you read the above posts with all the answers????

-whats faster?
-e6300
-whats faster?
-e6300
-whats faster?
-e6300
-For sure?
-yes
-For sure?
-Yes
-Really?
January 13, 2007 12:33:40 PM

Come on man, don't give him crap. He probably just thinks we are being enthusiats and Intel fanboys, or something of the sort.

The Pentium D's are a waste of money.... ALL OF THEM. Seriously, do not buy one, don't even stand in the same room as one. Core 2 smokes Pentium D's by a large margin.

Also, I would like to get a copy of the email from Intel please, that is just ludicrous information, but, like everyone else in here, I am pretty certain why they would say that. weskurtz81@gmail.com..... email it there please....

And if you clowns spam me, forum users.... I will haunt you. 8O

wes
January 13, 2007 12:42:44 PM

Quote:
Also, I would like to get a copy of the email from Intel please, that is just ludicrous information, but, like everyone else in here, I am pretty certain why they would say that. weskurtz81@gmail.com..... email it there please....

Gmail ftw!!!

Ill haunt you alongside wes, if i have to blow my brain all over the ceiling to do it, so be it.
January 13, 2007 12:48:26 PM

core 2 hands down, ell even a athlon 64 3800 might gibe it a runs for itsmoney
January 13, 2007 12:48:59 PM

oops i meat athlon 64 x2 3800
January 13, 2007 12:51:56 PM

Theres this little button next to the reply that says "edit" kinda handy when you make a mistake like that.
January 13, 2007 8:05:48 PM

Quote:
Come on man, don't give him crap. He probably just thinks we are being enthusiats and Intel fanboys, or something of the sort.

The Pentium D's are a waste of money.... ALL OF THEM. Seriously, do not buy one, don't even stand in the same room as one. Core 2 smokes Pentium D's by a large margin.

wes

not really you can overclock them up the wahoo the P4 805D with water colling to outperform the 1.96 C2D btw people he said the E6300, wtf are you all going on about the E6400, besides the first poststarted it, NO ONE is gonna go against this its a flame war now
January 13, 2007 8:43:46 PM

Well,

I don't really think we should compare the stock performance of one to the OC of the other. Do you? Apples and Apples, either max OC on both, or, stock performance on both. Because if he is going to OC a crappy Pentium D in order to achieve E6300 like performance.... why not OC the E6300 and blow any Pentium D out of the water hands down?

wes
January 13, 2007 9:01:12 PM

oh come one guys, just let him buy the pentium D (wink wink). ITs an awesome processor. You don't have to turn the heater anymore too ;) .
January 13, 2007 9:30:15 PM

Quote:

go for the pentium D :wink:
January 13, 2007 9:34:08 PM

Quote:

Oh my god...

Lmfao... :twisted:
January 13, 2007 9:52:46 PM

And yes, you can OC an 805 close to 4ghz on water cooling, but the benchmarks show, it will still barely outperform a stock 6300. Check the link in this thread from Anandtech.

wes

Edit: with the money spent on water cooling, the 805 would cost more than the 6300.
January 15, 2007 7:02:16 PM

i have sent you the mail apt403

shinigamiX thanks i understood now and i think after all these comments i'll go and buy C2D in few days

thanks guys.
January 15, 2007 7:33:58 PM

Quote:
shinigamiX thanks i understood now and i think after all these comments i'll go and buy C2D in few days

thanks guys.

You've made a wise, sound, and soon to be rewarding decision. Happy computing. :wink:
January 15, 2007 7:54:26 PM

I think you need to look to overclock the AMD Duron and compare it to them all!
January 15, 2007 7:55:00 PM

*Looks at thread... shakes head at what he reads*
January 15, 2007 8:13:45 PM

Yay, I made a difference! I'm cool.

You're a fool.

In the pool.
January 15, 2007 9:14:37 PM

Thahim,

Send the email to me as well please. weskurtz81@gmail.com

thanks
wes
January 15, 2007 9:31:32 PM

wes, foward email to me too. My email can be found in my profile.
January 15, 2007 10:14:55 PM

Quote:

wes

I agree with that. Intel should install their Prescotts, Smithfields and Presslers into trendy space heaters that communicate with trendy refrigerators and coffee makers via wi-fi. They should not be placed in any desktop PC outside of Greenland, Canada, Alaska and Russia. Even with global warming, I'm sure the extra heat would be welcome there. :wink:

I was tempted by a Fry's bundled Pentium D 805 with an ECS AGP mobo at $93 for another PC, just so I could use two sticks of my DDR and the trusty old Radeon 9800 Pro that can still run Oblivion at medium.

I decided against it. When the income tax comes in on the 26th, I'll go C2D, get an X1950 Pro and 2 gigs of DDR2. Anyways, everyone wondering which CPU is better for the tasks they do should check out the CPU charts here at Tom's Hardware. My personal choice for benchmarks is how well a CPU or GPU runs 3DS Max and Oblivion.

3DS Max performance C2D 6400 Allendale vs. P4 3.4 Cedar Mill

I'll still keep my P4 Northwood for legacy games like the old Might and Magics, maybe even run Windows 98 on it. My next PC, built after the C2D, will be a multimedia PC with an Athlon X2 4200+ on one of the new AMD 1250 motherboards (modified X700 with AVIVO and H.264 encoding) when they finally arrive in February or March.

Now, I just have to decide if Vista's worth it in a dual boot or just go Vista later when I have a DX10 performance card.
January 15, 2007 11:39:22 PM

Ninja,

If I can get him to mail the damn thing to me, I will send it to you for sure. I am really interested to see this email, so, will do buddy.

wes
January 16, 2007 2:34:08 AM

Quote:

Check out the cpu performance charts right here on Tom's hardware.

A 1.83 ghz Core2due performs with in a % or two overall of a 3.73 ghz 965EE

As a very good rule of thumb, C@D is, clock for clock, twice as fast as a PentiumD.

1.83 ghz C2D = 3.73 ghz PentiumD
2.4 => 4.8...
etc
etc...
January 16, 2007 2:54:46 AM

He forwarded me the email a couple hours ago, ill just post it here. Not sure if its real or not, but this is what he sent me, and it looks pretty authentic.

---------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:45:18 -0800
To: xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx.xx
Subject: RE: RE: TestoIntel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor Email Support Request

Hello Saad,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

Yes, the Intel(R) Pentium(R) D processor running at 3.4 will give you more speed, because it has a higher clock speed.

The performance of the system will also depend on the hardware and software configuration.

For any Intel(R) processors buying recommendations, I would recommend you to contact your place of purchase or contact the Intel(R) Authorized Distributors at the following URL to discuss your processor needs:

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/46...

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Adolfo S.
Intel(R) Technical Support

Intel(R) Processor Support Web Site:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/index.htm

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
!