Windows 2000 Server no logon screen

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 1, 2005 4:01:24 PM

Hi I have a Windows 2000 server SP4 (no recent updates applied)which I
re-booted the other day since doing this i am no longer able to logon
as no logon screen appears on the server I just get a blue background
and a mouse cursor. If I try to remote desktop to it I get exactly the
same result no logon screen. All services appear to be running and
users can browse file shares etc i can view event logs from another
server but there are no errors. I am able to logon in safe mode and
have tried a Last known good but to no success.

Any ideas anyone?
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:42:06 AM

Is there anything in the event log that appears to be relevant?

On 1 Aug 2005 12:01:24 -0700, "Maximus" <swhite17@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi I have a Windows 2000 server SP4 (no recent updates applied)which I
>re-booted the other day since doing this i am no longer able to logon
>as no logon screen appears on the server I just get a blue background
>and a mouse cursor. If I try to remote desktop to it I get exactly the
>same result no logon screen. All services appear to be running and
>users can browse file shares etc i can view event logs from another
>server but there are no errors. I am able to logon in safe mode and
>have tried a Last known good but to no success.
>
>Any ideas anyone?
August 6, 2005 4:25:21 PM

No there was nothing in the event log that was relevant but I have
worked out it is to do with APC powerchute software I have now seen 3
clients with similar problems/symtoms; services dont respond, cannot
stop restart or change service startup types, terminal server/citrix
server no logon screen all due to the 2 APC Powerchute Business Edition
v6.x software services. I had to kill the 2 proceeses pbeserver.exe and
pbeagent.exe and then was able to disable them on startup which
completely solved the problems
August 11, 2005 3:13:00 PM

JJ wrote:
> *No there was nothing in the event log that was relevant but I have
> worked out it is to do with APC powerchute software I have now seen
> 3
> clients with similar problems/symtoms; services dont respond, cannot
> stop restart or change service startup types, terminal server/citrix
> server no logon screen all due to the 2 APC Powerchute Business
> Edition
> v6.x software services. I had to kill the 2 proceeses pbeserver.exe
> and
> pbeagent.exe and then was able to disable them on startup which
> completely solved the problems *

I had the same issue here of a Win2K SP4 with Metaframe XP. Also a
Win2K SP4 DC and a Win2003 Sp1 member server had various issuses with
making changes, BackupEXEC issues and very very slow logons.

Killed the APC programs listed here and all just came back to life.

Thanks for the post, I can go home now.

--
BLUEProfile
August 11, 2005 4:07:24 PM