Windows hangs at "Starting Up"

Teo

Hi,
I have a computer which keeps hanging at start up. i have tried robboting,
making sure all the connections are tight, making sure the boot process is in
the right order. It is plugged into the network but will not boot up even if
i try to boot it up locally. In safe mode i get to the same hang at "starting
up" it always gets almost to the end but it will not finish. I tried last
know good config too bu no luck.

what would someone reccomend to also troubleshoot before i look into
replacing hard drive or OS?

THanks,
Matt

It may have something to do with the latest Microsoft Update - see below for
other comments.

--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast

Shouldn't hemorrhoids be called asteroids?

dl

Can you access any of the other safe mode options?
Perhaps a repair installation?
Tried from the win startup floppy disks?
Re: HD, tried the hd manu checking utility
All the above whilst not networked/connected

"Teo" <Teo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a computer which keeps hanging at start up. i have tried robboting,
> making sure all the connections are tight, making sure the boot process is
in
> the right order. It is plugged into the network but will not boot up even
if
> i try to boot it up locally. In safe mode i get to the same hang at
"starting
> up" it always gets almost to the end but it will not finish. I tried last
> know good config too bu no luck.
>
> what would someone reccomend to also troubleshoot before i look into
> replacing hard drive or OS?
>
> THanks,
> Matt

Teo

Thanks Slarty & DL,

nothing would work. i couldn't even delete the bad partition re-install the
OS. It would get stuck looking for prvious versions of windows. I finally
tried fdisk and a few other utilities. Finally i debugged and wiped the HD
clean. that finally worked and i was able to reload the OS. Something had
gotten deep into the system, virus or just a bad process loop

Thanks,
Matt.

"DL" wrote:

> Can you access any of the other safe mode options?
> Perhaps a repair installation?
> Tried from the win startup floppy disks?
> Re: HD, tried the hd manu checking utility
> All the above whilst not networked/connected
>
> "Teo" <Teo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a computer which keeps hanging at start up. i have tried robboting,
> > making sure all the connections are tight, making sure the boot process is
> in
> > the right order. It is plugged into the network but will not boot up even
> if
> > i try to boot it up locally. In safe mode i get to the same hang at
> "starting
> > up" it always gets almost to the end but it will not finish. I tried last
> > know good config too bu no luck.
> >
> > what would someone reccomend to also troubleshoot before i look into
> > replacing hard drive or OS?
> >
> > THanks,
> > Matt

Hi Teo,
I have seen these kind of issues before. It is mostly due to bad hardware or
registry corruption.

Lukesh