Desktop icons messed up

I have a weird situation. I had to reload all the software on my laptop,
including the OS. Now my desktop shortcuts display two icons on top of each
other. There is a Windows icon that looks like a computer with a blue
monitor, a disk drive and black floppy, and a box with a blue band around it
in front of and to the left of the monitor. This icon sits on top of the
correct icon, UNLESS it's a shortcut to something in the OS (i.e. TS client,
control panel shortcut, offline files), in which case this is the only icon I
get. If it's a 3rd-part sw shortcut like Adobe, then I'll see the Windows
icon and a bit of the Adobe icon sticking out from behind it. I've never
seen this before. I also haven't installed anything that wasn't on the PC
before. Any advice?

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about desktop icons messed

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 06:54:34 -0700, MEB <MEB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a weird situation. I had to reload all the software on my laptop,
    >including the OS. Now my desktop shortcuts display two icons on top of each
    >other. There is a Windows icon that looks like a computer with a blue
    >monitor, a disk drive and black floppy, and a box with a blue band around it
    >in front of and to the left of the monitor. This icon sits on top of the
    >correct icon, UNLESS it's a shortcut to something in the OS (i.e. TS client,
    >control panel shortcut, offline files), in which case this is the only icon I
    >get. If it's a 3rd-part sw shortcut like Adobe, then I'll see the Windows
    >icon and a bit of the Adobe icon sticking out from behind it. I've never
    >seen this before. I also haven't installed anything that wasn't on the PC
    >before. Any advice?
    >
    >Thanks.

    See tip 5646 » More about removing the arrow (Shortcut Overlay) from your desktop shortcuts.
    AND link in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Desktop Icons Windows