Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Just what do you do with a PPC ?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 9:48:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Aside from the obvious, like sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar, just
what else can you do with a PPC ??

More about : ppc

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 9:48:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

People do all diffent kinds of things with Pocket PC's. They can be used to
surf the internet, send email, play games, create/modify Word and Excel
documents, play your music, be your phone....the list goes on and on. In
many ways, a Pocket PC is just an extension of your Windows computer, but
with a smaller screen and a stylus for input.

--
Dave
www.davespda.com
Microsoft MVP (Mobile Devices)

"RolYat" <newsaccount@-removethis-hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cba2ed5482509a398968c@news.plus.net...
>
> Aside from the obvious, like sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar, just
> what else can you do with a PPC ??
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:26:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

This what *I* do:

1. Calendar "stuff"...lots of scheduling and such
2. Games - just simple stuff when I'm in line.
3. Wireless web surfing. I have WiFi on my Axim and I surf the web when I
am near a hotspot. In my house, I just use my PPC when I want to check
something on imdb.com. We are always looking stuff up on imdb when watching
TV/Movies! :) 
4. eBook - I haven't actually read an entire book on this thing, but I *do*
have the manual for my Canon Digital Rebel (300d) camera on there for
reference, when I'm out on a shoot.
5. Watch videos - I've put a couple of Southparks on my SD card when I
travelled last.
6. Play music - get yourself some storage and you've MP3'd (or WMA'd) your
PPC.
7. Share pictures - I keep pictures on my SD card to show people. I'm an
actor so I keep my headshots on there too! :) 
8. Driving directions - I put driving directions on my PPC vs. printing on
paper.
9. AvantGo - I read stuff on AvantGo...not all the time, but I like knowing
that there is updated stuff for me to read (news, weather, sports, etc.)
when I'm bored and there's no wireless Internet available.

*this is just stuff from the 'top of my head' that I do regularly.

Suff I'd like to do:
* Get better games (I just need to buy them)
* Universal Remote Control (need to buy it...Dell has a trial of one that I
need to try)
* View/Edit Pics from my camera (can't do this 'cuz my camera uses Compact
Flash and my PocketPC uses SD cards)
* GPS (too much money for my blood)


"RolYat" <newsaccount@-removethis-hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cba2ed5482509a398968c@news.plus.net...
>
> Aside from the obvious, like sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar, just
> what else can you do with a PPC ??
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:09:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:48:54 +0100, RolYat wrote:

> Aside from the obvious, like sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar, just
> what else can you do with a PPC ??

Watch movies, play games, read books, store pictures, listen to
mp3/wma/..., store (Word) documents, spreadsheets, use it as a remote
control etc.

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Workshop Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | D-Link DBT-120
April 4, 2005 12:27:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

RolYat wrote:
> Aside from the obvious, like sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar, just
> what else can you do with a PPC ??

GPS Navigation
Connect to internet via cradle, wi-fi, gps or mobile phone (bluetooth)
Watch films\ view photos
Listen to mp3s
Email
Newsgroups
Word
Excel
Powerpoint
Games

etc etc.

Martin
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:28:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <MPG.1cba2ed5482509a398968c@news.plus.net>, RolYat
<newsaccount@-removethis-hotmail.co.uk> writes
>
>Aside from the obvious, like sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar, just
>what else can you do with a PPC ??

I bought mine solely for one purpose, which has since become two:

1) I enter data real time in a database, in the field, whereas before I
had to collect lots of pieces of papers and enter it batch fashion.

2) I run a GPS mapping / route finder / speed camera program.

I do the occasional GPRS based web browsing / email but not much.
--
David Mahon
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:38:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Sunday, RolYat wrote:

> Aside from the obvious, like sync Outlook Contacts and
> Calendar, just what else can you do with a PPC ??

Along with the email, games, mp3, movies and everything else
that others have mentioned, I have built a database of all
the information I/my wife need should the house burn down! I
use TreNotes and it's desktop companion and I have a complete
inventory of the house, right down to every dvd and book we
own. In addition to that I have scanned all the important
documents such as birth certificates, driving licences, all
the insurance policies, important receipts, etc, and keep em
all on the PPC.

The PPC lives on it's cradle next to the bed so if there is
an emergency and we have to run out of the house, all I need
to worry about (apart from the wife, three kids and two mice)
is the PPC..and from that we can contact everyone we need to
to get our life back!

Of course...if teh house burns down/is burgled while we are
away then I have the PPC with me anyway.

It took a good few weeks of evenings to get it inputed, but
it was made easier by having the desktop version of TreNotes
to work with. I now just keep it up to date and that doesn't
take long at all - new entries for major purchases, re-scan
of new/revised documents as and when needed.

I hope I never need it, but I'll be damn glad that I have it
if I ever do!

--
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryans-place.com>
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:51:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <dpk051la70og7s681o06mk8bt99f4a4upd@4ax.com>, usenet@bryans-
place.com ...

> Along with the email, games, mp3, movies and everything else
> that others have mentioned, I have built a database of all
> the information I/my wife need should the house burn down! I
> use TreNotes and it's desktop companion and I have a complete
> inventory of the house, right down to every dvd and book we
> own. In addition to that I have scanned all the important
> documents such as birth certificates, driving licences, all
> the insurance policies, important receipts, etc, and keep em
> all on the PPC.

You'll excuse my ignorance, but despite being a PC techie for more than
10 years, i've never dabbled with PPC/PDA before now, so have a lot of
questions to ask before I finally commit to buying.

What sort of memory do you have in your PPC ?? Or do you use an
expansion card?

I'd want to keep PDF files on mine, mainly technical manuals, is this
possible?

Another post I've just made asks if it's possible to plug a PPC into a
desktop system (via USB) and transfer files from one to the other using
something like Explorer as opposed to ActiveSync. Would the desktop
system see an SD card in the PPC as a 'removable disk'?

The PC's i'm likely to want to transfer files to won't have ActiveSync
installed.

Great replies guys ... keep 'em coming! What do you use your PPC for?
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 2:05:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Sunday, RolYat wrote:

> What sort of memory do you have in your PPC ?? Or do you
> use an expansion card?

I have a Dell Axim X50v. It has 64MB of internal memory, but
that is shared between storage and program memory...there are
some bits of software (notably today screen plug-ins) that
like to be installed in main memory, but it's best to keep it
as free as possible so that there is more for programs. Mine
is set to split at 20MB for storage, 40MB for programs and is
currently at 14MB free for storage, 22MB free for programs.

Then there is 128MB of flash rom, where the operating system
is stored. Of course, the OS isn't 128MB in size, so what is
left over if free to use. In my case, 91MB. This is a bit
slower than other memory but it survives a hard reset unlike
the internal memory. I install most of my software into this
area (in Dell units it's called Built In Storage).

My Axim also has both SD and CF memory card slots. I have a
1GB SD card and I keep my mp3 and movie files on there, along
with photos and Tomeraider files. I also install games to
the SD card, particularly the larger ones.

I then have a 256MB CF card and on that I keep CAB files so
I can re-install almost all my software from a hard reset if
I am away from the desktop. I also keep my backup files there
along with Internet Explorer temp files and all my home data-
base files (scans, etc).

> I'd want to keep PDF files on mine, mainly technical manuals,
> is this possible?

Perfectly possible, though I found that the PPC Acrobat Reader
left something to be desired....it's not a great bit of soft-
ware.

> Another post I've just made asks if it's possible to plug a
> PPC into a desktop system (via USB) and transfer files from
> one to the other using something like Explorer as opposed to
> ActiveSync. Would the desktop system see an SD card in the
> PPC as a 'removable disk'?

No - you need Activesync installed on the desktop. Once it is
installed, then the PPC itself and it's storage cards can be
browsed using the desktop and files can be copied and pasted
to/from them.

> The PC's i'm likely to want to transfer files to won't have
> ActiveSync installed.

Just make sure that the PC has a slot or a card reader for an
SD/CF card and make sure you're PPC uses the same card format.
It's easier and quicker to whip out the SD card and slot it in
to the PC....

--
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryans-place.com>
April 4, 2005 7:42:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Try Repligo instead of the Acrobat Reader.
It is great for all sorts of documents including powerpoint
as well as pdf, and the file sizes are smaller as well
>-----Original Message-----
>On Sunday, RolYat wrote:
>
>> What sort of memory do you have in your PPC ?? Or do you
>> use an expansion card?
>
>I have a Dell Axim X50v. It has 64MB of internal memory, but
>that is shared between storage and program memory...there are
>some bits of software (notably today screen plug-ins) that
>like to be installed in main memory, but it's best to keep it
>as free as possible so that there is more for programs. Mine
>is set to split at 20MB for storage, 40MB for programs and is
>currently at 14MB free for storage, 22MB free for programs.
>
>Then there is 128MB of flash rom, where the operating system
>is stored. Of course, the OS isn't 128MB in size, so what is
>left over if free to use. In my case, 91MB. This is a bit
>slower than other memory but it survives a hard reset unlike
>the internal memory. I install most of my software into this
>area (in Dell units it's called Built In Storage).
>
>My Axim also has both SD and CF memory card slots. I have a
>1GB SD card and I keep my mp3 and movie files on there, along
>with photos and Tomeraider files. I also install games to
>the SD card, particularly the larger ones.
>
>I then have a 256MB CF card and on that I keep CAB files so
>I can re-install almost all my software from a hard reset if
>I am away from the desktop. I also keep my backup files there
>along with Internet Explorer temp files and all my home data-
>base files (scans, etc).
>
>> I'd want to keep PDF files on mine, mainly technical
manuals,
>> is this possible?
>
>Perfectly possible, though I found that the PPC Acrobat Reader
>left something to be desired....it's not a great bit of soft-
>ware.
>
>> Another post I've just made asks if it's possible to plug a
>> PPC into a desktop system (via USB) and transfer files from
>> one to the other using something like Explorer as opposed to
>> ActiveSync. Would the desktop system see an SD card in the
>> PPC as a 'removable disk'?
>
>No - you need Activesync installed on the desktop. Once it is
>installed, then the PPC itself and it's storage cards can be
>browsed using the desktop and files can be copied and pasted
>to/from them.
>
>> The PC's i'm likely to want to transfer files to won't have
>> ActiveSync installed.
>
>Just make sure that the PC has a slot or a card reader for an
>SD/CF card and make sure you're PPC uses the same card format.
>It's easier and quicker to whip out the SD card and slot it in
>to the PC....
>
>--
>Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryans-place.com>
>.
>
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 9:22:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Do you have a CD with a backup of all this information?
What would happen if the PPC were lost?
--
Ron Sommer

"Bryan Anderson" <usenet@bryans-place.com> wrote in message
news:D pk051la70og7s681o06mk8bt99f4a4upd@4ax.com...
> On Sunday, RolYat wrote:
>
>> Aside from the obvious, like sync Outlook Contacts and
>> Calendar, just what else can you do with a PPC ??
>
> Along with the email, games, mp3, movies and everything else
> that others have mentioned, I have built a database of all
> the information I/my wife need should the house burn down! I
> use TreNotes and it's desktop companion and I have a complete
> inventory of the house, right down to every dvd and book we
> own. In addition to that I have scanned all the important
> documents such as birth certificates, driving licences, all
> the insurance policies, important receipts, etc, and keep em
> all on the PPC.
>
> The PPC lives on it's cradle next to the bed so if there is
> an emergency and we have to run out of the house, all I need
> to worry about (apart from the wife, three kids and two mice)
> is the PPC..and from that we can contact everyone we need to
> to get our life back!
>
> Of course...if teh house burns down/is burgled while we are
> away then I have the PPC with me anyway.
>
> It took a good few weeks of evenings to get it inputed, but
> it was made easier by having the desktop version of TreNotes
> to work with. I now just keep it up to date and that doesn't
> take long at all - new entries for major purchases, re-scan
> of new/revised documents as and when needed.
>
> I hope I never need it, but I'll be damn glad that I have it
> if I ever do!
>
> --
> Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryans-place.com>
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:39:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Monday, "Ron Sommer" wrote:

> Do you have a CD with a backup of all this information?
> What would happen if the PPC were lost?

The actual TreNotes file that stores the bulk of it is in
the My Documents folder on the PPC, so that gets sync'd to
the desktop. The scanned files are on the SD card but I do
make a copy onto the desktop as well.

The desktop itself is actually a laptop....and that is set
to copy everything on the data drive to an external drive
and to one of the network desktops, each night.

So...I actually have four copies on computers, plus a once
per week backup on CD that is kept out of the house.

--
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryans-place.com>
April 4, 2005 4:18:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Mapping mainly using Map X Mobile and a product called GBM Mobile

http://www.geobasemap.com/products/gbm_mobile.htm

"RolYat" <newsaccount@-removethis-hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cba2ed5482509a398968c@news.plus.net...
>
> Aside from the obvious, like sync Outlook Contacts and Calendar, just
> what else can you do with a PPC ??
>
>
>
!