win2ksp4 - cannot stop/start services, install/uninstall s..

Jim

Hi,

Following a restart to attempt to clear an "offline" tape drive in
Backup Exec I now find that if I try to install/uninstall/reinstall
programs (I tried to uninstall Backup Exec) the installer doesn't
respond, eventually timing out; Internet Explorer doesn't work, just a
blank page (Firefox does work, and I can ping internal external sites
and IP addresses) and if I try to stop or start any service via the
services control panel that stops responding as well. Also terminal
services clients get a non response if they try an "open with" context
menu choice although that works fine via a LAN connection.

Help!!
(Thanks:)

Check Event Viewer for errors.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Jim" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Following a restart to attempt to clear an "offline" tape drive in
| Backup Exec I now find that if I try to install/uninstall/reinstall
| programs (I tried to uninstall Backup Exec) the installer doesn't
| respond, eventually timing out; Internet Explorer doesn't work, just a
| blank page (Firefox does work, and I can ping internal external sites
| and IP addresses) and if I try to stop or start any service via the
| services control panel that stops responding as well. Also terminal
| services clients get a non response if they try an "open with" context
| menu choice although that works fine via a LAN connection.
|
| Help!!
| (Thanks:)

Jim

OK, I did a clean restart and right at the beginning of the system log
in the event viewer was "The server 1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF
did not register with DCOM within the required timeout". That's the only
error apart from the RSM not being able to configure my tape drive. I
suspect it has to do with the fact that I hadn't restarted my server
since applying the latest patches/updates, but of course now I can't
uninstall or reinstall anything. Google has 2,670 hits for that CLSID
but I haven't found the helpful one yet... any suggestions?

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Check Event Viewer for errors.

Were any permissions or configurations changed? OK a quick search reveals
that "1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF" is the 'COM+ Event System'
service. A long shot but you might try Control Panel|Administrative
Tools|Component Services|Computers|My Computer|DCOM Config. When you click
on the DCOM Config branch. You may get notices that some EXE files are not
completely registered. Make sure you recognize each application as a valid
program and say yes to record data regarding it. If you do not recognize a
program, say NO

Failing that you might try a safe mode boot and also enable boot logging
boot to see if that yields any more clues.

--

"Jim" wrote:
| OK, I did a clean restart and right at the beginning of the system log
| in the event viewer was "The server 1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF
| did not register with DCOM within the required timeout". That's the only
| error apart from the RSM not being able to configure my tape drive. I
| suspect it has to do with the fact that I hadn't restarted my server
| since applying the latest patches/updates, but of course now I can't
| uninstall or reinstall anything. Google has 2,670 hits for that CLSID
| but I haven't found the helpful one yet... any suggestions?

Some other thoughts; You might from a command prompt;
net start
to get a list of what services are started. Check to see that 'System Event
Notification' service is started. If not you might try;
sc query "SENS"
also
sc query "EventSystem"

to see what win32 exit code is generated. You can get sc.exe (service
controller tool) here.
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/win2000/

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Jim

When I go in via the control panel component services I do not have a
DCOM config branch (COM+ apps and DTC only), but I discovered and ran
dcomcnfg and there were a couple of prompts as you suggest, but it
appears that the problem still exists. There is a separate entry for
COM+ Event System listed as well as the CLSID - could that be an issue?

I also tried disabling DCOM but that also had no apparent effect.

There is a delay of around three minutes between the login prompt and
the appearance of the desktop. Boot logging shows a list of drivers
loaded and a few not loaded (the last two are rdbss.sys and mrxsmb.sys),
but nothing obviously amiss and with no timings it's hard to say where
the delay is happening.

The System Event Notification service is listed by NET START as is COM+
Event System.

The impossibility of updating drivers or uninstalling software/patches
is not helping the situation! Driver updates, service start/stop,
installer - all stop responding.

Any further help you can offer will be most welcome, thanks again.

(I should mention that I have run a full command line virus scan with
Sophos AV in safe mode and checked for spyware with AdAware and Spybot)

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Were any permissions or configurations changed? OK a quick search reveals
> that "1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF" is the 'COM+ Event System'
> service. A long shot but you might try Control Panel|Administrative
> Tools|Component Services|Computers|My Computer|DCOM Config. When you click
> on the DCOM Config branch. You may get notices that some EXE files are not
> completely registered. Make sure you recognize each application as a valid
> program and say yes to record data regarding it. If you do not recognize a
> program, say NO
>
> Failing that you might try a safe mode boot and also enable boot logging
> boot to see if that yields any more clues.

That's normal and expected. I see the same here on Windows XP. I'm kind of
at a loss without more clues. The com+ error may not even be related to the
other issues. You might compare the settings on each tab in component
services for the server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} with that of
another machine to see if something is amiss.

--

"Jim" wrote:
| When I go in via the control panel component services I do not have a
| DCOM config branch (COM+ apps and DTC only), but I discovered and ran
| dcomcnfg and there were a couple of prompts as you suggest, but it
| appears that the problem still exists. There is a separate entry for
| COM+ Event System listed as well as the CLSID - could that be an issue?
<snip>

Jim i have the same problem cant fathom it out service not running but say
running it sounds very adware/virus to me but cant install uninstall anything.
any more ideas

"Jim" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following a restart to attempt to clear an "offline" tape drive in
> Backup Exec I now find that if I try to install/uninstall/reinstall
> programs (I tried to uninstall Backup Exec) the installer doesn't
> respond, eventually timing out; Internet Explorer doesn't work, just a
> blank page (Firefox does work, and I can ping internal external sites
> and IP addresses) and if I try to stop or start any service via the
> services control panel that stops responding as well. Also terminal
> services clients get a non response if they try an "open with" context
> menu choice although that works fine via a LAN connection.
>
> Help!!
> (Thanks:)

Hello Jim, George and others,

Had the same problem and found the cause: it was the APC-powerchute
software. See:

http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

Hope this helps,
Mark

georgestark schreef:

> Jim i have the same problem cant fathom it out service not running but say
> running it sounds very adware/virus to me but cant install uninstall anything.
> any more ideas
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Following a restart to attempt to clear an "offline" tape drive in
> > Backup Exec I now find that if I try to install/uninstall/reinstall
> > programs (I tried to uninstall Backup Exec) the installer doesn't
> > respond, eventually timing out; Internet Explorer doesn't work, just a
> > blank page (Firefox does work, and I can ping internal external sites
> > and IP addresses) and if I try to stop or start any service via the
> > services control panel that stops responding as well. Also terminal
> > services clients get a non response if they try an "open with" context
> > menu choice although that works fine via a LAN connection.
> >
> > Help!!
> > (Thanks:)

The link was broken, here in two parts:

nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/

std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

Mark van wier
thank you for your post it was apc software causing my problem what a
nightmare
nearly 2 days on this install/uninstal services rras iis ie6 none would work
until I unistalled apc powerchute (dont know who installed it)
mark thanks again was geting to the point of a repreped server.
could you post the link again.

"mark van wier" wrote:

> The link was broken, here in two parts:
>
> nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/
>
> std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

Hi Mark
Sorry cant see anything in the link relating to our problems. seems that it
caused so many problems you would think there would be more info.
Im gonna try to find out why it effected so many windows services.
will post with more info.

"mark van wier" wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> I have been in the same nightmare, thank god i have a raid1 config to
> play with. The link again (hope this editor don't make a mess of it
> again :):
>
> http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

Jim

OMG I had an email from Veritas about the same thing in Backup Exec and
I have both programs installed. Of course I took no action and have lost
the email. Could this really be whats crippling people's servers? Would
explain why my tape drives suddenly fell off line. I have uninstalled
APC but of course can't uninstall or upgrade BE since it uses the
Windows installer. Will try a reboot later today and post results.

georgestark wrote:
> Hi Mark
> Sorry cant see anything in the link relating to our problems. seems that it
> caused so many problems you would think there would be more info.
> Im gonna try to find out why it effected so many windows services.
> will post with more info.
>
> "mark van wier" wrote:
>

>>Hi George,
>>
>>I have been in the same nightmare, thank god i have a raid1 config to
>>play with. The link again (hope this editor don't make a mess of it
>>again :):
>>
>>http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

Jim

Found the Veritas email warning of Java Cryptography Extension expiring,
in fact was for Backup Exec for NetWare servers 9.1 -
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278129.htm.

Jim wrote:
> OMG I had an email from Veritas about the same thing in Backup Exec and
> I have both programs installed. Of course I took no action and have lost
> the email. Could this really be whats crippling people's servers? Would
> explain why my tape drives suddenly fell off line. I have uninstalled
> APC but of course can't uninstall or upgrade BE since it uses the
> Windows installer. Will try a reboot later today and post results.
>
> georgestark wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark
>> Sorry cant see anything in the link relating to our problems. seems
>> that it caused so many problems you would think there would be more info.
>> Im gonna try to find out why it effected so many windows services.
>> will post with more info.
>>
>> "mark van wier" wrote:
>>

>>> Hi George,
>>>
>>> I have been in the same nightmare, thank god i have a raid1 config to
>>> play with. The link again (hope this editor don't make a mess of it
>>> again :):
>>>
>>> http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202

Jim

Uninstalled APC in a terminal server session (thank goodness it doesn't
use MS Installer!). When I logged in at the console my 3 minute delay
was gone. Restarted and away went the nightmare - even my tape drives
came back online. Thanks to all for the work on this, now just need to
figure out how to monitor the expiration date of all security
certificates...

mark van wier wrote:
> Hello Jim, George and others,
>
> Had the same problem and found the cause: it was the APC-powerchute
> software. See:
>
> http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7202
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark
>

> georgestark schreef:
>

>>Jim i have the same problem cant fathom it out service not running but say
>>running it sounds very adware/virus to me but cant install uninstall anything.
>>any more ideas
>>
>>"Jim" wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Following a restart to attempt to clear an "offline" tape drive in
>>>Backup Exec I now find that if I try to install/uninstall/reinstall
>>>programs (I tried to uninstall Backup Exec) the installer doesn't
>>>respond, eventually timing out; Internet Explorer doesn't work, just a
>>>blank page (Firefox does work, and I can ping internal external sites
>>>and IP addresses) and if I try to stop or start any service via the
>>>services control panel that stops responding as well. Also terminal
>>>services clients get a non response if they try an "open with" context
>>>menu choice although that works fine via a LAN connection.
>>>
>>>Help!!
>>>(Thanks:)

Jim

Thanks for all your help on this. See the posts below for what was
(crazily) causing the problem - expired Java security certificate in APC
Powerchute software.

Dave Patrick wrote:
> That's normal and expected. I see the same here on Windows XP. I'm kind of
> at a loss without more clues. The com+ error may not even be related to the
> other issues. You might compare the settings on each tab in component
> services for the server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} with that of
> another machine to see if something is amiss.

Yes I've been following with interest. That is pretty wild. Glad to hear the
problem is resolved. Thanks to Mark and George for popping into this thread.

--

"Jim" wrote:
| Thanks for all your help on this. See the posts below for what was
| (crazily) causing the problem - expired Java security certificate in APC
| Powerchute software.

Thanks for all posted in this group.

Have absolutely the same problem, logged support job with MS and had
issues until... last night. Now I am very relieved.

Just to add couple of points. Problem could be resolved by just
modifying registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
START value changed to 4 (disabled)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
START value changed to 4 (disabled)

And reboot the server.

In Sevices Controller Agent was showing status as "Starting..."

Thanks and good luck to everybody

George

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Yes I've been following with interest. That is pretty wild. Glad to hear the
> problem is resolved. Thanks to Mark and George for popping into this thread.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Jim" wrote:
> | Thanks for all your help on this. See the posts below for what was
> | (crazily) causing the problem - expired Java security certificate in APC
> | Powerchute software.

bill

Had the same sort of issue. This fixed the problem. Thanks to everyone who
posted to this.

Bill Roth

"GORAFAN" wrote:

> Thanks for all posted in this group.
>
> Have absolutely the same problem, logged support job with MS and had
> issues until... last night. Now I am very relieved.
>
> Just to add couple of points. Problem could be resolved by just
> modifying registry keys:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
> START value changed to 4 (disabled)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
> START value changed to 4 (disabled)
>
> And reboot the server.
>
> In Sevices Controller Agent was showing status as "Starting..."
>
> Thanks and good luck to everybody
>
> George
>

> Dave Patrick wrote:
> > Yes I've been following with interest. That is pretty wild. Glad to hear the
> > problem is resolved. Thanks to Mark and George for popping into this thread.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "Jim" wrote:
> > | Thanks for all your help on this. See the posts below for what was
> > | (crazily) causing the problem - expired Java security certificate in APC
> > | Powerchute software.

George,

This post saved my bacon yesterday - after working the weekend on one of our
primary systems we couldn't believe it all came down to this. Thanks.

rob...

"GORAFAN" wrote:

> Thanks for all posted in this group.
>
> Have absolutely the same problem, logged support job with MS and had
> issues until... last night. Now I am very relieved.
>
> Just to add couple of points. Problem could be resolved by just
> modifying registry keys:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBESERVER
> START value changed to 4 (disabled)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APCPBEAGENT
> START value changed to 4 (disabled)
>
> And reboot the server.
>
> In Sevices Controller Agent was showing status as "Starting..."
>
> Thanks and good luck to everybody
>
> George
>

> Dave Patrick wrote:
> > Yes I've been following with interest. That is pretty wild. Glad to hear the
> > problem is resolved. Thanks to Mark and George for popping into this thread.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "Jim" wrote:
> > | Thanks for all your help on this. See the posts below for what was
> > | (crazily) causing the problem - expired Java security certificate in APC
> > | Powerchute software.

1.000.000.000.000 Tanks

Have the same problem and it has solve with the APC Powerchute software
Uninstall.

Is good to have you all sharing Problems/Solutions.

Portugal tanks you. :)

"Jim" wrote:

> Thanks for all your help on this. See the posts below for what was
> (crazily) causing the problem - expired Java security certificate in APC
> Powerchute software.
>
> Dave Patrick wrote:
> > That's normal and expected. I see the same here on Windows XP. I'm kind of
> > at a loss without more clues. The com+ error may not even be related to the
> > other issues. You might compare the settings on each tab in component
> > services for the server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} with that of
> > another machine to see if something is amiss.

Greetings from the USA-
We just found an issue relating to this and would like to thank
everyone for the information. It saved me hours of beating my head
against the wall ;)

Thanks again!

--
sparkyputerguy
sparkyputerguy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=8435

Glad you were able to find it and that it helped.